Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DV worth upgrading?

Hey folks,
    Just wondering if I should change my Composite Video camera to a DV camera...will I see much increase in video production/quality?

-Ethan

Just a little!!

Price is the deciding factor, of course. Remember that nearly any camera can produce excellent results given good lighting conditions. If you don't need super-high recording quality, consider a Hi8 camcorder (which has enough quality for most home videomakers).

If you're talking serious videomaking, it's the way to go. Add in the price of a DV port on your computer to realize the full potential of the format. (the S-video port and your existing Matrox card will also handle the job quite adequately)

[This message has been edited by fluggo99 (edited 05 January 2000).]

Comment

Not to mention that if you get an IEEE-1394 card and your editor supports DV you have an almost lossless editing setup.

DV can take up to 4 generations of recompression in the editor without showing artifacts. Perfect for those applying titles or graphics to their videos.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

but is it ideal for me with only three 5400rpm IDE HD's (about 15 GIG's of video space if I actually clean up my downloaded files)?

-Ethan

Comment

DV only runs at about 3.5 megs/second while delivering max quality and recompression resistance. It's about the most efficient codec in terms of quality vs. capacity going.

DV would give you about 71 minutes on a 15 gig empty drive.

min of video = (15000mb/3.5mbps)/60sec

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by DrMordrid (edited 06 January 2000).]

Comment

Working...
          X