G400+ SS7 + AGP2x = Enabled without forcing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400+ SS7 + AGP2x = Enabled without forcing

I just recently installed the new VIA AGP driver(ver4.0). Under properties for this driver it reads: AGP 4X/133 services VxD. Now when I boot into Windows and run PCIlist without using the RegHack to force AGP2x, PCIlist reports 2x enabled. Haven't had a crash as of yet.

G-baby

MB is a FIC 503+ ver1.0A

G-baby i have to thank you for the heads up, i just installed these new drivers on my via chipset based motherboard and i am running at AGP 2x with no problems on my G400Max (SO FAR) (knock on wood)I was really sad that i had been unable to run this card at its box described lowest AGP capability, no it is running and i hope it dont corrupt my desktop again. I doubt it will as i just spent a good hour in Half-life and nothing bad has happened yet!

Frankfurt

------------------
    K6-2 450, 128MB SDRAM,Tyan Trinity ATX (S1598 2mb cache on board), G400 Max Card
    Windows 98SE/Mandrake Linux 7.0
    Here is my system config:Athlon XP+ 2000, 1024MB SDRAM,EpOX EP9XA (or something)<b>Matrox Parhelia </b>
    WinXP Professional SP1
    Hercules Fortissimo III 7.1
    3COM 905C

Comment

Hmmm, when I tried AGP 2X with my G200, Windows would boots, the desktop would get this "cross hatch" pattern to it, then it would spontaneously reboot. I am thinking (but don't really know) that the viagart.vxd only has support for 1X or 4X mode, with no actual 2X support. So, if the card is 4X capable, it is fine, even if the mobo only does 2X. Are your G400s of the 4X variety? If not, I need to figure out another theroy Oh, Epox MVP3G-M mobo with G200 SD.

------------------
      I say "Here's a monkey wrench... If you bop me over the head with it long enough I might wake up for a second."

"I wrestled with reality for 27 years and I'm happy to say I finally won out over it."

Comment

my tyan is not agp 4x capable, but i do have one of the newer via chipsets, which might have something to do with it
        Here is my system config:Athlon XP+ 2000, 1024MB SDRAM,EpOX EP9XA (or something)<b>Matrox Parhelia </b>
        WinXP Professional SP1
        Hercules Fortissimo III 7.1
        3COM 905C

Comment

Right, I have the rev CE chipset myself, I don't think it is the AGP capabilities of the mobo that caused my problem, I think it is the AGP capabilities of the vid card. In other words, with the Via Gart at 4x, Vid card at 4x, but system board only at 2x, it just downsteps it to 2x and is fine. But, with the Via Gart at 4x, vid card at 2x, and system board at 2x, the Gart gets confused and is still trying to send a 4x signal to the vid card. Like I said, just a guess thinking that maybe turbo mode is 4x and normal mode is 1x.

------------------
          I say "Here's a monkey wrench... If you bop me over the head with it long enough I might wake up for a second."

"I wrestled with reality for 27 years and I'm happy to say I finally won out over it."

Comment

My board is an old FIC 503+ rev1.0a with the CD version of the chipset. In BIOS I have read around write and Write Cache pipeline disabled.

G-baby

Comment

Working...
            X