Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A DVD playbacl probelm, does it matter if the DVD drive is alone on the IDE channel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A DVD playbacl probelm, does it matter if the DVD drive is alone on the IDE channel?

Hi,
    DVD's were great for me.
    I just got a 20gig drive though, and i added it to the second IDE channel as a slave
    My DVD is the second IDE Master

Now when i watch DVD's though they judder, at exactly the same places each time.
    Ive just re-installed windows too, everything is a Zillion times faster but DVD playback is poor now. It never used to skip.
    The software i installed same way as before.
    Could it make a difference because there is now a hard drive on the second IDE channel?
    and if so will swapping them round so that the Hard Drive is Second Master and the DVD is Second slave help any????

anyone have any experience of this???

ThanXs CMB
    Windows XP Pro + SP1 - Pentium 4 3.1gig - 1024mg DDR 333 2 cas - Thermaltake Xaser Case - Parhelia 128 - 3x Phillips TFT Monitors - Audigy 2 Platinum - 6.1 surround speakers - RTx100 - 5 HD 7200rpm (420gig) - Pioneer A03 - Partridge in a pear tree

Hi CMB,

My DVD drive is on the same IDE cable with my ZIP drive. The ZIP is the Master, the DVD is the Slave. It seems to work ok for me.

Did you check to make sure DMA is still enabled on your DVD drive? How about on your new hard drive?

Is the new hard drive an Ultra 66? Some BIOS's have problems recognizing Ultra 66 drives properly. As a result, they end up disabling DMA.

If this is your problem, you can either upgrade your motherboard BIOS, or, if you have a Maxtor drive, they have a utility you can download from their web site which will change the internal settings of the drive, which will make the drive appear to be operating in a mode that your BIOS will be happy with.

Rick
    http://www.Hogans-Systems.com

Comment

Working...
    X