??? WIN 98 or NT 4.0 - for gaming ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ??? WIN 98 or NT 4.0 - for gaming ???

i wonder if i should change my OS from win98 to nt4.0 (or later win2k - when the first service-pack is released :-)

of course i know that NT is more stable than 98 but are there any problems with playing games (mostly 3d)? and is the driver-support for my G400 MAX and Terratec DMX good enough? and what about directX? is it possible to run DX7 with NT and DX7-made games on it???

or is win2k not so buggy than i think?

any hints, please

------------------
    \\ Surfwienix //
    (German)

My System:

AMD K6-2/400 non-o/c
    Epox MVP3C-M Super7
    128MB SDRAM(PC100)
    -> G400 MAX (PD 5.30+TGL1.0+DX7a) non-o/c
    Terratec DMX Canyon3D
    6,4GB Maxtor HDD (UDMA33)
    ASUS 50x-CDROM (UDMA33)
    Realtek 8019 Ethernet (ISA)
    19" Monitor CTX-VL950T (95khz)
    my system:

AMD XP 2000+
    Abit KTA7 (VIA 4.49)
    512MB SDRAM133
    Matrox Millennium G400 MAX (5.91, AGP 2x)
    Windows XP Prof

If you are into gaming, do not change for windows NT. DirectX is limited to version 3 and several games will not run.

Windows 2000 looks ok but you will need the fix pack for games. Frankly,I would keep win 98 until the first service pack and simply stay clear of NT.

Z

Comment

Yup, definitely stick with W98 for gaming. NT4 with SP3+ is limited to directX-3 api. It makes me wonder, though, why some games like Unreal Tournament *require* directX 7 in w9x, but they can run in NT4? Doesn't that mean that they don't really require dx7, but only dx3?

Yes, NT4 does "protect" you from a lot of potential BSODs that w9x doesn't, but all of today's pc games are targeted primarily at w9x, not nt4. I'm letting everybody else do the debugging of w2k for me. I gotta wait a minimum of 1 year and then examine how the dust has settled.

Comment

Working...
      X