OOOOkay, how screwed am i?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OOOOkay, how screwed am i?

Ok, so i wake up yeasterday extera early (around noonish) and find at my doorstep all the things that i had been waiting for for over a month. My <a href="http://www.ratpadz.com">Ratpad</a>, <a href="http://www.cardcooler.com">Cardcooler</a>, <a href="http://www.amd.com">AMD ATHLON stickers</a>, <a href="www.allelectronics.com">my allelectronics catalog</a>, and a post card from my friend in Hawaii (sp?).
    So i thought to myself: Man, things are lookin up today.
    So, i go down stairs to my computer, install all my new goodies and place the card cooler right by my MAX and install my backup 1gig hard drive.
    So, i hit DEL at the bios POST phase and get greeted with a bios screen. Hit hit down my down arrow and *bam* the whole screen corrupts, as in filled with random letters and was totally unreadable. So i'm like "Oh F- what'd i do?"
    So, i quickly hit the powerswitch, waited a few seconds, and turned it on again.
    Nothing. No monitor output, no beeps, no floppy search (symboling a corrupted BIOS on my BP6).
    So, after swearing and curseing a few moments, i turned it off again, removed the card cooler, made sure everything was securely seated and turned it on.
    No dice, just a black screen again.
    At this point i was like "ok, what the f- did i screw up?" So i tried to answer that by unplugging everything but the video card. Yay, it booted up to POST.
    So, thinking i had narrowed it down to my hard drive, floppy, cdrom, or my backup hard drive.
    However, when i hooked everything up again, just for the hell of it, it posted! It began to load 2k, but, sadly, it froze right after it displayed the IRQ assignments with a blank screen (right where 2k initializes its video).
    So, damnnation, i turn off the power and turn it on again. Black screen AGAIN, no beeps, floppy searches, or monitor activity.
    Well, since i thought i needed time to cool down, i went upstairs and ate breakfast (or would it have been lunch?). Anyways, after eating i hit the power switch and it POSTS but freezes in 2k at the same problem.
    Then, it hit me, maybe its just 2k's problem.
    So, after a long reformat and reinstall, i get greeted with the exact same error! Except this time it freezes after it prompts you to reboot for the second time on the installation of 2k.
    So, i thought, maybe i just screwed my BP6's bios. So i grab my emergency disk and reflash my BIOS to the newest one avalible (BETA QQ BIOS).
    Well, i really don't think reflashing was related to me being able to actually get into win 2k for the first time, buti was finally able to do so.
    So i go and grab matox's newest drivers for 2k and install them, prompts for reboot and i hit ok, reboot.
    However, it froze AGAIN at the exact same spot after rebooting.
    So, i think to myself hmmm, what could it be? I just flashed my Mobo's bios, i guess it could've been the video board's bios that got corrupted when i entered the bios screen (after all, its the thing that displays everything. and it freezes when 2k is trying to initialize the damned video).
    So i go and make a nice little emergency disk from my bro's comp and boot up with it.
    It gives me this error "invalid imput file checksum"
    So, thinking that its just a corrupted disk, i grab a new one and make another emergency disk for it, and boot up with it.
    Damn, Same error.
    So, i went and re downloaded the file from matroxusers, re-extract it, and make another rescue disk.
    Boom, same error, damn this is getting annoying.
    Hmm, maybe matrox just messed up with its emergency disk.
    So i go and grab all the files, span it across 2 floppys and copy it to my machine.
    It starts off fine, it goes and formats/copys all the crap to the emergency disk, but then it just says "Bios checksum failier (or something like that, can't rembember the specifics) and exits the program.
    So, here i am, extremely frustrated because i can't seem to find the damned problem.
    I really don't think its my BP6's, i think its my g400 MAX's bios.
    It boots randomly (1/40) into windows, with no explanation or error message when it doesn't.
    Should i RMA my max or not, i don't want to have to spend another $120 on phone calls to matrox like i did before.....
    Thanks (sorry its so long)
    Any help would be appreciated.

Oh yea, guess i should post a little bit bout my system.
    Dual 400's
    BP6 on QQ bios
    256 meg pc-133 ram
    G400 MAX
    No irq shareing (max is on irq 10 btw.)
    quantum fireball plus KA 7200 RPM 9.1 GIG ata/66 drive on IDE 3
    NEC 1 gig hard drive on IDE 1
    32X cd-rom on IDE 2
    SB-LIVE Value
    3com 10 base t TPO net card.

Comment

I think you should continue trying to isolate the problem. Can you get your hands on another video board for testing purposes?

Paul
      paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

don't know if this helps. when you re-attached your peripherals, did you make sure the cables are tight and cards are properly installed? also, did you install w2k using the ata33 or ata66? i know some people have problems trying to install w2k using the ata66. there are instructions to how to install w2k properly in www.bp6.com so you might wanna check it out. since you are re-installing the os anyway.. why don't you try to install win98 or another os that you have to make sure it's not the card? just my 2cents.

------------------
        Glarec
        ------
        bp6-(2)433(oc488) celerons, g400max, ibm ultra scsi 9.1g, sb-live value, hitachi ss-753 19", plextor 32x, etc, etc, etc...

Glarec
        ------
        bp6-(2)433(oc488) celerons, g400max, ibm ultra scsi 9.1g, sb-live value, hitachi ss-753 19", plextor 32x, etc, etc, etc...

Comment

Just to check it's your Max, test it in another PC. (Maybe your brother's??)
          Jordâ„¢

Comment

Probably that Cardcooler an the other harddrive made your powersupply struggle and hence might even have damaged your other components ...
            Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
            Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
            be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
            4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
            2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
            OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
            4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
            Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
            Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
            LG BH10LS38
            LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Hi Scout255,

I have had quite a few encounters with the BP6 board and shakey power supplies, and it sounds like you are having one too. The BP6 absolutely requires a strong PS.

Rags

Comment

Update:
                Tried with Voodoo Banshee PCI card and still got freezes, same with old isa video card.
                handed it into the lokal comp place that i bought everything at.
                Seems like it will boot off of everything but the ATA/4 and ATA/3 (the ata/66 chanels)
                looks like i got a screwed up motherboard. Thank god its not my max!

Comment

Working...
                X