G400 +Epox Please help me out ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 +Epox Please help me out ...

Hi to all at this forum and thanks for reading this msg.

I shall go crazy. Please please help me out as I am desperate.

My Win 98SE does not shutdown.
    I've installed G400 16Mb dualhead on my expox EP-MVP3G5 motherboard with a K6 III 450Mhz CPU and something seems to be wrong since all is ok until I shut windows down. My mouse pointer remains on the black screen and it is not shown shutdown message and system is not turned off.

I have downloaded the latest matrox g400 drivers vers. 4.11.01.1410 dd nov. 26, 99(not the last beta)a few minutes ago and installed but the thing remains the same.

Is there any fix/solution to this problem?
    My system as follows:

K6 III 450Mhz 64 Mb RAM PC-100
    Epox EP-MVP3G5 Via MVP3 chipset
    Matrox G400 16Mb dualhead
    SB AWE64 ISA
    Eicon Diva Piccola ISA
    HD IDE 2.1 Gb
    CD-ROM 24X IDE

Any help/info. will be very much appreciated.

Very best

Zingen

There is a shutdown patch available for win98SE. I believe it is on the winblows update site.

Comment

Sorry, I forgot to mention it. I have already installed this patch for win98se shutdown trouble but nothing changed. No improvement at all. All remains the same.

Thanks for your kind quick reply.

Zingen

Comment

I had the same problem with my QDI Advance 5/133 motherboard. It uses the VIA chipset.

The first thing that helped was to put the AGP Aperture size down to 8 or 16...but that didn't make sense to run like that.

So the real solution for me...was installing the latest VIA drivers. Since then I have no trouble what so ever shutting down. (My AGP Aperture size is at 128 now)

hope this helps

------------------
        PIII-500, 128M RAMpc-100, ADVANCE 5/133 Motherboard, QuantumKA 18.2gig, QuantumST 6.4gig, Creative DVD-Rom 5x, Pioneer CD-Rom 12x, G400Max Dualhead, SB Live, Winmodem 33.6, NEC MultiSync E900+ 19" Monitor, Windows SE
        PIII-500, 128M RAMpc-100, ADVANCE 5/133 Motherboard, QuantumKA 18.2gig, QuantumST 6.4gig, Creative DVD-Rom 5x, Pioneer CD-Rom 12x, G400Max Dualhead, SB Live, Winmodem 33.6, NEC MultiSync E900+ 19" Monitor, Windows SE

Comment

Be sure to have the latest mobo bios installed and try my driver pack online @ www.paraknowya.de it contains the newest beta driver in combination with older drivers and it works quite stable and good for me... worth a try, it might fix the problem, however be sure to flash the newest bios into your board first! Then uninstall the current driver and install my pack!

Please let me know whether or not it helps! =)

Comment

My God, still no success.

I have already done the following:

1. Have updated last bios from epox
            2. Have updated last Via drivers from epox
            3. Have installed Win98 shutdown patch
            4. Have installed your G400 PKY pack

What am I doing wrong ? What else should I check ?
            I am trying hard for more than 8 hours sitting on here in front of this bloody machine and cannot get it. Is there anyone out there with my same stuff ?

Epox MVP3G5 motherboard is considered one of the best, isnt it?

Please help.
            Thanks a lot

Zingen

Comment

Sometimes anti-virus programs can cause shutdown problems,check it out.

Comment

Try looking at my system spec. You never know, just maybe, it might help.

Joel

------------------
                System Specs

Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
                Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Use the bios settings listed in Joel's reply above. I had the same mainboard as he does, which is similar to yours, and had zero problems when I had my settings the same as his. Epox definately makes a great board. Don't give up.

Also, is your processor overclocked? If so, set it back to normal.

------------------
                  DaRogMan

System Specs:
                  Athlon 600
                  FIC SD-11
                  G400
                  SBLive!
                  LNE100TX
                  WD AC180000 UDMA/66
                  Creative 48mx
                  Atapi Zip 100
                  Microsoft Internet Keyboard PRO USB
                  Microsoft Intellimouse w/Intellieye USB
                  No ISA, no floppy
                  Win98SE

DaRogMan

System Specs:
                  Athlon 600
                  FIC SD-11
                  G400
                  SBLive!
                  LNE100TX
                  WD AC180000 UDMA/66
                  Creative 48mx
                  Atapi Zip 100
                  Microsoft Internet Keyboard PRO USB
                  Microsoft Intellimouse w/Intellieye USB
                  No ISA, no floppy
                  Win98SE

Comment

Thanks for your specs.
                    I have carefully checked on them and put bios settings as per yours but unsuccesfully.
                    I am now deciding:

1) downloading lattest directx 7a driver.
                    2) unistalling win98se and start again from zero, installing windows 98 (hopefully to be 4.10.1998) the one I have.
                    3) Installing lattest Via 4-in-1 driver pack which I have also downloaded from epox site (I do not know if it will be 4.18a vers.)
                    4) Install Matrox lattest video drivers which I have already downloaded from this site (w9x55010)
                    5) Apply registry hack top disable Vsync.
                    6) Leaving bios settings as per your specs suggestion.

Will see what happens...

BTW, I have a few questions for you please:

1) How should I know which Via driver versions are they in 4-in-1 driver pack?

2) and IMPORTANT: How should I apply registry hack to disable VSync ?

Thank you mates.
                    Difficult to go on without your kind help. I do not want to give up but if things go worst, may I please ask you which other motherboard supporting K6 III 450Mhz should I buy to be fully compatible with Matrox G400 DH 16 MB. No matter it is cheaper or worst than the epox one, just simply it can run from the very begining after assembled. Any ideas?

Very best
                    Zingen

Comment

Well first of all good luck with the new ideas! Hope they work for you. Note however, that I've had some problems with the 5.50.010 with my K7 which is an AMD CPU just like the K6-III so you might want to try my drivers again after the clean installation!

Concerning a new mobo, I'd suggest you to get a Asus or a Gigabyte board because they are in general of good quality and they keep the support up to a degree! I've had several Gigabyte mobos which were of really good quality still living in smaller PCs here. The last two Asus boards were great too, the P5A (maybe a board for you?! and the K7M both working really well!

regards
                      PKY

Comment

Do NOT use the Via 4 in 1, also don't get the drivers from the Epox site, they are not the most recent. Download only the Via AGP 3.59 driver directly from Via ( http://www.viatech.com/ ) and use it. Before doing so uninstall the previous Via drivers by running the 4 in 1 setup again and choosing the uninstall option. Reboot, install the AGP 3.59 driver. Reboot, run the Matrox uninstall program, then install the Matrox 5.41 (or 5.25) drivers. I don't know that it will fix your problem, but it will be the most stable set-up for an Epox board. Also, the only difference between DX7a and DX7 is some of the direct input drivers, so it should not make any difference with it.

------------------
                        I say "Here's a monkey wrench... If you bop me over the head with it long enough I might wake up for a second."

"I wrestled with reality for 27 years and I'm happy to say I finally won out over it."

Comment

If your still having problems, make sure you install the via AGP driver in normal mode and NOT turbo mode. I have almost exactly the same setup as you, and it only shutsdown properly when installed in normal (AGP 1x) mode. Hope this helps.

Comment

I have the same Epox MVP3G5/K6III-450/G400 combo as you, but I've never had any shutdown problems. In fact, when I first got it, I was amazed at the fast shutdown and automatic power off. I had only an AT case and power supply before this.

Some of the equipment you list is a little older. Could it be that your case and power supply are, shall we say, vintage as well. You could try a new cheap $20 power supply to see if it it is better with the auto shut down than your older one.

RAB
                            AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

Finally I have got it.
                              Thank you, thank you, a thousand thanks to you all, specially to Joel for bios settings and clean installation procedure.

It shuts down fine now. Sometimes it takes even some time to do it and a few times I even need to push bottom but anyhow it always displays the shutdown message. It seems to be rather unstable but it works.

I leave it as it is now. Thank you.

This hard task taught me a lot, mainly not to buy an epox mobo again.
                              Probably it had something to do with my 2 ISA cards (ISDN Eicon Diva Picolla + Sound Blaster AWE64) as it was imposible for me to run my PS2 mouse due to some kind of troubles in spite that no irq conflicts appeared. Either SB or ISDN card did not work when I connected the mouse. Thus, I put it an USB one and the problem was sorted out.

How different this system is from one of the other 5 I have got here at home, specially my ASUS K7M mobo with K7 500Mhz 128Mb RAM PC-100 SB 128PCI. It works like hell since the very begining with Win98SE. No hangs, no blue screens, no exception msgs ....

Again thank you mates.

Cheers
                              Zingen

Comment

Working...
                              X