RT2000 ...5 months later

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RT2000 ...5 months later

Well now, let’s see… August, September, October, November, December. That’s five whole months that have gone by since Matrox first announced the soon to be released RT2000! It was soon to be released in August, it was soon to be released in September, etc. Now it’s soon to be released in January…

This is, unfortunately, typical of Matrox. This ‘cart before the horse’ style of marketing is getting a bit tiresome. And then, once the long awaited product finally does hit the shelves, who here among us can claim that they’ve purchased any Matrox NLE products that were bug-free, right out of the gate? I certainly can’t. I mean, it took them TWO YEARS to fully mature the original Rainbow Runner, and by that time the product was discontinued. I can’t personally speak for the RR-G or the Marvel, but reading the same old story over the months in this and other newsgroups has fully dissuaded me from ever buying either of those products. But that was pretty great, finally having a product that worked after all that waiting. I mean, I'm still using that original Mystique220/RR-S package, simply because I know it works. And it works, apparently, because the hardware was completely mature when the product was released, but the software was woefully lacking… It's always the software that has problems.

It leads me to believe that the same corporate paradigms are in force over at the ‘pro’ division, out of which (someday) the RT2000 will come. I mean, the C-Cube technology, around which this ‘coming soon’ product is based, is a fully developed hardware platform. The hardware will come out, and it won’t change through the several iterations of software patches and ‘bug fixes’ and upgrade versions that will follow. To be fair, this isn’t unique to Matrox. There are many companies out there in the aftermarket wake of Microsoft, feeding upon the vast, installed customer base for all sorts of great niche products, NLE among them. They are, for the most part, all run by greedy little feudal lords who, through no real intention on their part, tend to squash creativity in favor of politics, and run the punishments and rewards within their realms, based upon penis size. And programmers get left in the backwash. They are, after all, the bottom of the feudal heirarchy in the modern corporate world.

Canopus, obviously, isn’t like that…

But this is what the chronic LATE DELIVERY from Matrox says to me. It says: here’s a company run by mediocre mental midgets who wouldn’t know a C language function from a page in a grade school primer. People who are constantly ‘saving money’ for their company by short circuiting the profit/reinvestment cycle, in order to fatten up their annual bonuses. 'Oh, you need us to purchase the latest Microsoft SDK's? Gee, that sure is a lot of money... Can't you guys just write your own, and get around that?'

It all comes down to this: all the writing on the wall, and all the past performance indicates that the RT2000 will most likely be late, and not a mature product when it finally does hit the shelves. It means that, most likely, anyone who buys one as soon as it’s finally released will simply be a BETA TESTER who got suckered into paying full retail to be part of the testing program.

I really hope that I’m wrong. But at this stage, after FIVE FREAKIN’ MONTHS, I have to call it like I see it.

Hi Jeff,

You're getting a bit impatient aren't you, I can tell you know !

I haven't heard anything from Matrox about the RT2K since Digital Media World, when I was told that they were hoping for a December release. I was surprised that they mentioned dates at all, since this is out of character for Matrox. I think that it was an on-the-spot reaction against Pinnacles claims of a late November/early December release for the DV500 (that hasn't been released yet either BTW).

I'll see if I can talk to Matrox tomorrow and see if there's any news on release dates

Cheers

Chris

Comment

Jeff

If you remember, when it was first announced, I said it was vapourware and probably would not be available in a stable version in under a year.

People don't believe me (or don't WANT to believe me) when I say things like that, but I'll let you into a little secret: I've managed to interface a crystal ball into my computer.

Another prediction: the Justice Department action against Microsoft will eventually result in Congress passing a law making software companies responsible for the functioning of their products and Microsoft will file for bankruptcy because of all the claims against them with all the bugs they cannot cure in Windows 2012 (issued in 2015, by the way).

As we are now 368 days from the new millennium, have a good pre-millennial year.

------------------
      Brian (the terrible)

[This message has been edited by Brian Ellis (edited 29 December 1999).]
      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Guys,

I did email Matrox Vid division both here in the UK and over in Canada early on today, but no news yet. I guess that everyone gets to take some holiday.

Chris

Comment

I got the whole week off...

See what happens when I have too much time on my hands?

Comment

Geez Jeff

Why you don't you write an article for the site or summat - or maybe another AVI forum entry.

Or or or or or ..... enjoy a week off ? (can't help there, I can't remember how it's done)

Comment

Well, Brian, it's true that 2000 will be the last year of the 20th century. There's a consensus that our current numbering system of years started with a 1 and not a 0. The calender's going to tick over to a new digit four places to the left of the decimal, though, and for that I'll consider it the beginning of the 21st century, just like I considered the beginning of the 90's started when it ticked over from 1989 to 1990. After all, just because they didn't have the number 0 two millennia ago, that doesn't mean we have to be stuck with that kind of thinking anymore, or be pressured into continuing to count our years beginning with a 1.

Hopefully, sometime before 2001, the RT2000 will have been released, patched, and the software upgraded so that it's worth buying. Based on past performance from Matrox, I'd bet that the hardware will stand up to scrutiny for a good year or two, just like their past products have. It's the software that's always the problem with Matrox. They've probably only got one or two programmers actually working on it, while the rest of the department is stuck in meetings and writing all sorts of useless reports, and filling in for the burnt out customer service department on the phones...

Comment

Meanwhile... Pinnacle IS NOW SHIPPING
                the DV500!!!

Comment

Chris: I shot about two hours' worth of DV video outside the back door of where I work during November and December, while they tore down a building. I've slapped together a couple different small .mpg files with the demolition being backed up with cuts off the Pink Floyd "The Wall" CD. It's just a matter of time before I end up with one that I like enough to upload.

Comment

Well... er... good point, Jeff.
                    About Pinnacle, I mean. :-)

Comment

Heard a rumor that Pinnacle may not have Adobe certification for the DV500 yet. That might make the product release "interesting" ;-)

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by DrMordrid (edited 30 December 1999).]

Comment

Jerry,

You're right, the UK Pinnacle site is showing a big flashing "shipping" all over the DV500 product link, but there is nothing in either their press section or DV500 news section that qualifies it. I certainly haven't had a press release from them yet.

Comment

Ya but, ya but, ya but... Jerry! Jerry!

It IS (cough, cough... wheeze!) a PINNACLE product release, so, like, I mean, it will be REALLY interesting to see what people have to say about the DV500 after they've shelled out the money, waited for delivery, and spent a week or two on the learning curve to discover whether it has problems or not... y'know what I mean?

Comment

Well, the DV500 reports are beginning to trickle in, over on rec.desktop.video. The two posts from richard vang seem kinda sorta ambiguous... at least he's being kind. Apparently, he thinks the analog side of the package is performing okay, but it appears that he's already concluded that if you really want to do DV, then the DVRaptor is the way to go! His mild complaints about it come across very lightly, yet he says everything that he wants to output to DV has to be rendered out (no Real Time at all with the DV side), and that it takes 6 minutes to render one minute of footage. That sounds pretty different from the expectations people have had about this package. Another poster, Fred Wilharm, appears to be having nothing but problems with his whole system, after installing the DV500.

Granted, these are only two reactions to the DV500 (really the only two that I've found with any meat in them), but it does tend to reinforce any negative opinions anyone might have about (cough, cough, ...wheeze!) Pinnacle.

Comment

Another day passes, and there are more rec.video.desktop posts about DV500 installation and Premiere RT, ie- how to make it all work. A couple of people are saying that they're happy at this point, in that they figured out how to make it all work. Responses to such posts, however, indicate that others are simply chomping at the bit to find out how the hell they did it.

I'm beginning to think that the DV500 will probably tend to work okay if you take a computer set up exclusively with components listed in the Pinnacle compatability lists, and freshly install the whole thing from scratch, including the OS. From what I see posted so far, the same old issues are in force here with anyone trying to take an up and running system, install the hardware and software on top of all sorts of other stuff that's been running on the computer for a while, and getting the usual infinite mix of completely unpredictable conflicts.

This kind of situation for users is not unique to Pinnacle, to be fair. All the Matrox stuff is just as 'fussy'. All the Ulead stuff and Adobe stuff is just as 'fussy'. I just can't get it out of my head that the Canopus stuff is reported to be the only exception to this rule, and if THEY can produce a 'trouble-free' NLE package, why the hell can't anybody else???

I truly expect that the RT2000 will probably be vulnerable to the same kind of thing, and that users would be best advised to set it up on a freshly installed system, using only components that Matrox has on its compatability lists for the RT2000. For instance, I believe they've already 86'd the AMD based systems from that list, which immediately belies any hopes anyone might have for this product to be as 'trouble-free' as the DVRaptor...

Comment

Working...
                              X