win2000 and media player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• win2000 and media player

anyone has problem playing mpeg files with media player under win2000? mine stutters and hangs after a while,especially when i try to move the window around.. it also does something neither NT nor win98 did.. the inside screen(where the movie is playing) trails after the border when i try to move it. also, is the new windvd buggy? it also seens to hang the machine after a while. i have to hard boot in both cases after the hang. and ms said win2000 is crash proof :P

i was wondering if this is a win2000 problem or it's the beta driver's problem.

i am running an abit bp6 with a pair of celeron 433(488) with 256M of ram, 9gig scsi ibm hd, sb live value, etc...

thanx in advance

------------------
    Glarec
    ------
    bp6-(2)433(oc488) celerons, g400max, ibm ultra scsi 9.1g, sb-live value, hitachi ss-753 19", plextor 32x, etc, etc, etc...

Glarec
    ------
    bp6-(2)433(oc488) celerons, g400max, ibm ultra scsi 9.1g, sb-live value, hitachi ss-753 19", plextor 32x, etc, etc, etc...

I have problems similar to the ones you're describing with *Windows 98,* and it started after I updated to Media Player 6.4. If I play a large mpeg2, I get bad stuttering, and if I use the slider to advance the file or go backward, Media Player locks up. I do not have this problem with avi's.

On Thursday, Microsoft had their official launch of Windows 2000 here in San Francisco. They sponsered a event at the Bill Graham auditorium, which included a performance by Santana and an accompanying video presentation. This from the San Francisco Examiner, February 18, 2000:

"In a surprise performance, Santana closed the event by playing his hit single, "Smooth." During the performance, a glitch in the Windows 2000 video link to large screens overhead cut the picture out intermittently."

So, even Microsoft has the occasional video-related problem. I'm not sure if Microsoft ever claim the OS was "crash-proof." NT is certainly more stable running mission-critical apps than Windows 98, but it will crash now and again.

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 19 February 2000).]

Comment

actually i have no problem running mpegs or vcds on win98 or nt. i can slide the video back and forward without any hesitations besides asf files. now avi and mov is something else on them. only plus i see in new beta drivers on win2k atm is the fact that i can switch from dual mode(and watch movies on tv ) and vice versa without having to reboot (that's a BIG plus). blah, i actually re-installed w2k because i thought i somehow messed up while i was installing w2k. oh well.. i hope ms have a solution for this soon. thanx for the reply

of course it would be even BETTER if matrox can come up with a dvd player for w2k.

------------------
      Glarec
      ------

Glarec
      ------

Comment

Also remember MS said that windows 2000 is crashproof not HUMAN BEING proof LOL

------------------
        <A HREF="http://jediphoenix.iscool.net/
        " TARGET=_blank>http://jediphoenix.iscool.net/
        </A>
        <A HREF="http://jediphoenix.iscool.net/
        " TARGET=_blank>http://jediphoenix.iscool.net/
        </A>

Comment

The mpeg playing problems you are getting with Media Player are caused by that piece of crap called WinDVD 2000 you mistakenly installed.

Using DVD Genie (http://www.inmatrix.com) unregister its DirectShow filters.

Better yet, uninstall it and get PowerDVD.

[This message has been edited by fds (edited 19 February 2000).]

Comment

Not only that, but remember that these beta drivers are notoriously bad with SMP systems at the moment.

But yes, WinDVD is probably registered to handle your MPEGs. This can create problems.

- Gurm

------------------
            Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            If only life were as easy as you
            I would still get screwed

Comment

ah, thanx gurus now that you guys mention it.. i don't recall having problems with media player until i installed the dvd player. silly me. i should have known.

i am at work atm though, so i'll go back home and uninstall the dvdplayer to check it out

oh, uninstallation is all it takes to remove the filter right? i hope windvd can at least do a clean uninstallation (crossing fingers). i would hate to reinstall w2k yet again.. my wife is going to hate me if that's the case cause adsl is installed on my computer and she can't access it until i have a working system

i'll let you guys know if everything is fine(or not).. back to work sigh

------------------
              Glarec
              ------

Glarec
              ------

Comment

Thanks for the heads-up, fds! I worked like a charm. The funny thing is, the files themselves seemed to be associated with Media Player. The icon was the same. Click on the files in Windows Explorer, and Media Player pops up.

All appears to be well.

Is this the update for a program I used to use called Region Selector?

Paul
                paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

ditto! no more lock ups.. just downloaded powerdvd.. thanx alot for the help

------------------
                  Glarec
                  ------

Glarec
                  ------

Comment

Yes, the name was changed to DVD Genie. The author realized it has a lot more uses than simply changing the region of software players.

Basically it's just a simple registry hacker utility, but it is far more convenient than doing it by hand.

All DVD players, hardware or software, register themselves in Windows.
                    That's the way other applications, like DVD games or the Video 2000 test or the "PCFriendly DVD" software which came with The Matrix for example can play DVD movies (without implementing any DVD/MPEG2 player code).

WinDVD 2000 apparently overrides the playing of regular MPEG files too and its mpg code seems to be rather buggy.

So you either uninstall the whole WinDVD, or just unregister its filters.

Comment

yep, but guess what... i installed the sblive drivers from dell and it too tried to register itself and messed up the media player. i had to uninstall the player from the driver as well... this is strange. i didn't have that problem when it was in NT or win98. something is wrong. *ponder*

------------------
                      Glarec
                      ------

Glarec
                      ------

Comment

I too am getting lockups when using media player. Its pretty random too. All of a sudden, the icon becomes the hand icon and just sits there and can't click on anything. Then, after a while, it would the computer would freeze and I would have to press the reset button.

Comment

Working...
                        X