Why oh why does Matrox hate me!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why oh why does Matrox hate me!?!

I got my replacement card and it STILL doesn't work!!! Now I'm positive that it's not my card though. I think probably it's just my crappy power supply. I'll order a new one on Monday. Just in case you can think of anything else for me to try, let me know.

Here is what I've done so far:
    • Fresh install of all Matrox/video related materials.
    • Checked the seating of the bastard
    • All the bios checks
    • Reg. hacks for different AGP speeds
    • and as a last resort, Pulled out most of my hair... Which with me, is a damn near impossibility...

Let me know if I missed anything. Thanks,

Dimitri

P.S.: There were some awesome UT games tonight (I was Exidus/Muad'Dib(G100Power) using both my comp and my roommates). Really fun.
    "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
    --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Several questions/suggestions. Also, some additional information on your system would help us help you (mobo, other cards installed and in which slots, processor, so on and so on).

Does the 'puter not start with the G400 in place, or does it start and there's no video output?

What is your prior card and any problems w/ that?

Which mobo (hint - if it's a Super Socket 7, that may be your problem.

One other thought - pull out ALL of the other cards and try starting with just the video card. If that works, begin installing one card at a time and restarting the system. If it hangs on a particular card, there's a good chance that that card is causing an IRQ conflict with the G400.

------------------
    Gateway G6-400 - Intel 440bx Tabor mobo, 128mb RAM, Intel PIII 550 processor, Matrox G400 SH, onboard Ensoniq AudioPCI sound chip, Epson Perfection 610 Scanner and Windows 2000 Professional
    Gateway Performance 850 - Matrox G450 32mb DDR, SB Live! Value, Promise UltraATA 66 & 30GB HD - and Windows 2000 Pro

Comment

http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum5/HTML/006908.html

This should have all my info. Sorry, forgot to include it in the first post.
      "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
      --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

Please post your system. If your board is ASUS K7M and your RAM is PC 133 chances are graet that there is RAM incompatibility and your Bios needs an upgrade. In my case my Matrox G400 was nitially not detected until I changed my RAM frm PC133 to PC100.
        england

Comment

Iwill XA 100 mobo
          K6-2 300
          196 megs generic pc100
          Matrox G400 MAX
          Hollywood plus dvd decoder
          2 hd's
          cd-rom (DMA disabled)
          dvd rom (DMA disabled)
          Creative Ensonique 64 sound card (i think )
          IRQ list is in the other post. I'm not on my computer so I can't give it. 11 is shared with my NIC, but even if it's not, it doesn't help.

The card works fine but I can't use any 3d apps (for anyone who doesn't know the situation from before). Picture freezes yet the sound continues.....

Dimitri
          --- Albert Einstein

Comment

Muad'dib,
            Heres a suggestion for you. It may actually be a problem with the Ali drivers. I too have a Ali chipset board and I remebered something about the drivers. You can uninstall them from the Add/Remove programs in the control panels.
            So this is what I would recomend doing.
            Remove any Ali Drivers listed in there.
            Reboot normal.
            Reboot in safe mode.
            Open device manager and remove any devices that no longer exist or devices that there are multiples of the device.
            Under Hard Disk controllers remove everything.
            Under System Devices remove all Ali devices, all power management controllers and all PCI to ISA bridge devices.

Now install the Ali IDE and AGP drivers again.
            Reboot normal.
            It should now detect the devices properly.

Hope that helps,
            HedsSpaz
            Primary System:
            MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
            120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
            Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
            Seccondary System:
            Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
            3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
            Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
            Tertiary system
            Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
            Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

Did you ever re-install Windoze as last suggested?
              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Yeah, I reinstalled windoze. Forgot to mention that though, sorry.

HedsSpaz - good idea. I'll try that shortly and post back on the results. I would think though that since I only installed the drivers once since I reformatted my c:\ drive that that wouldn't be a problem. I'll try anyway.

Dimitri
                --- Albert Einstein

Comment

Try PD 5.30 and if that works try to install the TurboGL.

Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                  Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                  be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                  4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                  2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                  OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                  4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                  Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                  Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                  LG BH10LS38
                  LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

I'm using Pdesk 5.30. i haven't installed TGL because I don't use any ogl based programs.....
                    --- Albert Einstein

Comment

Ok, I seem to have fixed the problem. I disabled my com ports in the bios and manually set IRQ11 and 5 to legacy/pci and everything seems to be working (great I might add). Watch out in UT now guys....

Dimitri (who used to be Muad'Dib(G100 Power) and now needs a new name... )
                      --- Albert Einstein

Comment

scratch that. It still doesn't work. Just takes a while to freeze.....

And in case you want it:

0 System timer
                        1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
                        2 Programmable interrupt controller
                        3 Communications Port (COM2)
                        4 Communications Port (COM1)
                        5 (free)
                        6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
                        7 Printer Port (LPT1)
                        8 System CMOS/real time clock
                        9 REALmagic Hollywood Plus
                        9 Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI
                        9 Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter
                        9 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
                        10 Matrox Millennium G400 DualHead - English
                        10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
                        11 (free)
                        12 Cordless7 (PS/2)
                        13 Numeric data processor
                        14 ALi Primary IDE controller (Bus Master)
                        14 ALi Bus Master PCI to IDE Controller
                        15 ALi Secondary IDE controller (Bus Master)
                        15 ALi Bus Master PCI to IDE Controller

hehe, pretty nasty looking....

[This message has been edited by Muad'Dib (edited 19 February 2000).]
                        --- Albert Einstein

Comment

my NIC runs fine at IRQ5. See if you can move it there in the BIOS or by playing the slot game. Also the Ensonic or Hollywood would do better on IRQ11. Just some ideas to keep you busy.

Mark F.

------------------
                          OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
                          and burped out a movie

Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
                          --------------------------------------------------
                          OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
                          and burped out a movie

Comment

He's right, Dimitri. You have to do something about the beer party on nine.

Paul
                            paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

--- Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X