Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please Recommend Motherboard for G200 Marvel & Live!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Recommend Motherboard for G200 Marvel & Live!

I have spent the last year trying to get my new computer working with an Asus P2B, Marvel G200 (AGP), and Soundblaster Live!. My problem is that when both the G200 and the Live! card are inserted, my monitor (Sony 200ES)goes into energy-saver mode as soon as the power is turned on and the computer locks. After reading every messege remotely connected to my problem and trying everything else (including a new, large power supply, and playing musical IRQ assignments) I have decided that my Asus P2B must be the problem.

Can someone recommend a board that will work with these two boards? I have a PII, 350Mhz with 64meg of memory. I also need at least 4 PCI and 2 ISA slots. My other boards are not part of the problem since I get the same results after stripping the motherboard of everything except the two cards.

After looking around the net, I am interested in the Abit BE6 motherboard if it works, but am willing to settle with just about any motherboard that will get these two cards working. I figure it is cheaper to replace the motherboard than to replace either my Marvel or Live! Besides, those are the two cards I really want in a computer.

I suspect that you have defective Asus board. However, as far as the BE6 is concerned, it is a fine choice for this hardware setup. I've run some pretty strange setups with this motherboard, and it has taken it all in style.

If you are going to run ATA-66 drives for video capture, you might want to choose your HDDs carefully. The WD Expert or Performer series drives are pretty good; they have generous cache sizes and are very stable. The Caviars I've been runningfor the past year have also performed very well.

------------------
    My (Current) Primary system:

Abit BE6 (PL BIOS)
    P3 450
    384MB PC-100 SDRAM (Non-ECC)
    Matrox Marvel G200-TV AGP (NTSC) v2.6 BIOS
    3Com 905B-TX NIC
    SBlive (W/ OD I/O Card, Liveware 3.0 + Update)
    ADS Cadet Radio Data AM/FM Card (8 Bit ISA)
    3x WD AC28400 EIDE HDDs (ATA66 Enabled)
    Creative DVD5241E EIDE 5x DVD-ROM
    M/S Windows 98SE (English)
    DirectX 7

My (Current) Secondary system

Data General/ ALR 2650 Mobo (v6.004 BIOS)
    2x P2 266 (SMP)
    128 MB PC-100 SDRAM (ECC)
    3 x Number9 Revolution 3D 8 MB PCI Adapters
    Adaptec 6901 10BT NIC
    Onboard Adaptec 2940 U2W
    Onboard Intel 82558 NIC
    Onboard Cirrus Logic SVGA adapter (Disabled)
    Creative ModemBlaster 5601 Data/Voice/Fax Modem (ISA)
    Creative AWE64 Gold
    2x WD 4.5 GB Enterprise SCSI3 HDD
    Panasonic LK-MW602 CD-R
    Nakamichi MBR 7.4
    2 EIDE HDD Swap bays
    Windows 98SE/NT Server Dual boot
    DirectX 7/SP-6

Tertiary system:
    Dell Inspiron 7100 Laptop

Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Thanks. I ordered the motherboard a couple days ago. I will let you know how it works.

Comment

Sorry, off topic: MultimediaMan, what is Nakamichi MBR 7.4?

On topic: the Soyo 6BA+ IV is an excellent BX motherboard and I think it's the cheapest BX with an UDMA66 controller on board. But I guess it's too late now...

------------------
        Celeron 400 @ 500, Soyo 6BA+ IV, 128MB PC100, Mill G400 @ 145/189, SB Live!, Quantum FB CX 10GB UDMA 66

Asus A7V, Duron 600@900, 192MB PC133@100, G200, Guillemot MUSE, etc.

Comment

Nakamichi MBR7.4 = External 7 Disk CD-ROM Changer SCSI2
          Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Working...
          X