Is S-video the best video cable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is S-video the best video cable?

The reason I am asking is I tried using a monster video cable (75 ohm) and my tv-out is terrible, with loads of interference (slanted ripples moving across the TV screen) and a deformed dektop.

I will be exchanging this cable for something better, (RCA home theater?) but i would like to know if the S-video cable provides a better signal with less interference. Perhaps I would be better off with a s-video cable and an adapter(my tv does not have a s-video in...)

Thanks

S-Video cables are great for S-Video

I don't think that they are going to help a composite signal tho

Comment

That sounds more like a 60hz or 50hz interference than anything else. It could also be coming from a ground loop.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

It sounds like you're suffering from a "ground loop".

This may sound a bit weird, but please DO try and pull the coaxial plug from your cable tv socket before watching/recording video with your Marvel, then see if the picture quality improves. I think you're in for a pleasant surprise.
        Resistance is futile - Microborg will assimilate you.

Comment

Thanks to the dutchman, I removed the cable from the tv, and what do you know, no more ripples.

I do still have a weird problem though. When I try to duplicate my desktop on the tv (tv-out), the image is to the left and somewhat rotated clockwise. What could be causing this?

[This message has been edited by Boul (edited 30 December 1999).]

Comment

Hi Boul and Chris

For your info - S - Video cable will give better results, even with VHS. Because it keeps the Luminance and Chromanance signal paths totally seperated.

Which prevents a variety of problems!

But the wiggley's described does sound more like either:
            a) Something NOT tuned in properly.
            b) Ground problems.

Best of luck Boul

Biker

------------------

Comment

If your TV has a comb filter, the picture difference between composite and s-vhs may be marginal. If it doesn't then s-video will be far superior to composite.

I you have a fine vertical line structure on your screen and output this to the TV you should be able to tell if your TV has a comb filter when selecting between composite and s-video.

Through a composite lead you should get around 3.5 to 4.5 MHz bandwidth (NTSC is lower than PAL due to the lower frequency of the colour subcarrier), where with s-video you can get up to 5.8MHz.

I know that the old Rainbow Runner could output RGB for PAL out the back of the card and width a proper cable (15pin to SCART) you could wire this into your TV. The options are still available on the Marvel G200 but you would have to make up a custom BOB.

If you want an explanation of comb filters I could write one. If anyone is stupid enough to be interested in the subject.

Salacious

Comment

Be very careful about buying a SVHS cable
                if you dont have SVHS connecters on your
                TV. I tried that with my VCR to computer
                for video input with an adapter and everything when black & white.

Good thing I can use it when I get my G400 MAX for TV output as my TV has SVHS connectors.

Lundberg.nu

Comment

Working...
                X