MJPEG playback problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MJPEG playback problems

I use a G400Max with RR card. When I capture in RGB mode I have no problem: all is fine. When I capture in MJPEG: I can't have a good image, the video is fine during a few seconds then I have colored blocks, slow motion, etc. Even when I try in very low resolutions it didn't work (my system is a Celeron 366@550, 192Mb RAM, 17Gb fast UDMA66 HD).
    Another question: Is there a way to capture in full-screen, full-motion in RGB mode ?

Thank you and Happy New Year!

.... but it WILL be fixed....

Comment

Well it seems that I'll have to reply to my own post...
      After reading some FAQs (from Matrox and this user's site) I find why I'm losing so much frame: it seems that WinFaxPro (v8) was the culprit (seen in the Matrox FAQ). After closing WinFax I lose almost no frame. But sometimes the MJPEG playback is really bad and I'm disapointed by the lack of quality (colored blocks, slow motions, black & White, pixelisations...)

Second question: Is there a way to capture in full-screem, full-motion, RGB mode ?
      Yes there is, you have to hack the registry (thanks Matrox FAQ again) to change the speed of your hard disk: If I put 40Mb/s, I get the option to record 640x480x16.7@30fps. Of course, I need a HD able to do 30Mb/s of sustained rate or 19Mb/s if I reduce the colors to 16bits. My Fujitsu 17Gb, UDMA66, 5400RPM is just able to do 9-12Mb/s...

[This message has been edited by Emmanuel (edited 04 January 2000).]

Comment

Hmm;

I had this problem on my G400max too; it did go better when I got into lower quality settings!?
        Now I do capture on 352 x 288 (PAL) ;25fps and a compression ratio of 5.2:1
        It doesn't look too bad once it is played on TV and it does allow faster rendering with U-lead viedeo editor.

I wander what would happen if you did capture in RGB (in a small window) and after the editing convert it to MJPEG full screen?
        I don't even know if this is possible; hehe, it leaves me with something to try out this evening.

Greetings;
        Luc

Comment

OK; I did the test.
          I did a capture from my TV (the RR-G TVset)in RGB-16.7 mil colours at 320 x 240 /25 fps with a datastream of 6.922kb/sec. The audio quality was CD quality.

The duration of the video was about 24 sec.
          It did get me a file of 138 Mb.

After this I put the file into Ulead video editor; and transformed it to a MJPEG file; 704 x 576/25 fps (PAL). As a result I got a file with a max datastream of 3.156 kb/sec ;
          It had a size of 71.3 Mb.

When I played it full screen I must say the quality was better then when I do the capture in MJPEG.
          Maybe it is important to know that I do not use the matrox codec but the picvideo codec instead.

There's one disadvantage however; for transforming this file I needed 08:47 minutes; for only 24 sec of movie.
          The work was done on a K7-500 128 Mb SDRAM.
          The graphic card is a MatroxG400max.

I don't know wheter this info may be usefull for someone; but I let you ppl know this anyway.

Greetings;
          Luc

Comment

Working...
          X