Yet another new graphics bus!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another new graphics bus!

Christ- I haven't even seen an AGP Pro 4x card yet!

Intel will, this week, also roll out details of its future graphics bus, dubbed Beyond4X. This is being developed in cooperation with a number of third parties including Diamond, Nvidia, S3, 3DFX, and Intense 3D, she said.

But will the slots be backwards compatible, for those of us that need to upgrade a piece at a time?

I'm betting Intel tries to force a changeover all around, just like with the move from socket7 to slot1. ;-)

------------------
    Ace
    "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
    Gainward Ti4600
    AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

The new graphics standard is probably an Intel backup plan, just in case they can't catch up again in the CPU wars Intel is known for trying to change the architecture, just to force others out of the market. Remember socket7? AMD was about to release a competitive product(the K6), when suddenly, Intel comes out with Slot-1. They couldn't stand the thought of competing with CPU vs CPU, so made it an architecture vs architecture battle. So, we have AMD going with EV6 bus for the 200MHz bus speed(100MHz x 2). Intel sees this, and now is going to try to go for a 200 x 2 approach from what we've been hearing. Now they are trying to make a new graphics standard. This shows that Intel KNOWS they may very well lose in the CPU speed race, so are doing what they can to develop Intel proprietary system designs.

Comment

1.5GHz

Comment

1.5GHz means nothing but marketing. Altough I hope it's not just marketing.

------------------
          Never underestimate the power of human stupidity
          Never underestimate the power of human stupidity

Comment

Targon, it is not as simple as you put it. Intel already had the P6 bus in production with the PPro a good bit before the K6 was released. It was a socket 8 connector, but it talked on the same bus as the slot-1 cpus.

Yes, Intel does like minimizing the upgrade path that you can select. It is better for them if you have to buy a new mobo and a new cpu. Then they made you buy new cases so that you can use atx mobos to upgrade your ol at layout mobo... yuck yuck yuck. Why not make us buy a new mobo to get the latest agp/video slot?

Comment

If the recent legal battles are anything to go by I think Intel's main reason for releasing yet another standard is so they don't loose any more money from rival chipsets. Due to the problems with the i820 chipset VIA's sales must have increased dramatically especially as they could support a 133mhz bus. If of course Intel are the only manafacturer who produce a chipset which supports this new standard then they have a monopoly and VIA are stuffed. The knock on affect of this is AMD, who are relying on VIA to produce chipsets for their processors, are going to have trouble selling Athlons if none of the motherboards which support it work with the next generation video cards.
              When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Don't forget AMD is producing chipsets themselves. They have been working hard to get here and I doubt they'll idlely sit by and allow VIA to make the mistakes that have plagued them in the past.

------------------
                Designer of the first commercial Athlon mod.
                Anyone up for an Athlon800+? Email me (epc@netdirect.net) for more information

3000 mips, 1.172 gflops @ 900 mHz 1:3 latency w/ active cooling
                CPUmark99 75
                FPU Winmark 4890

3Dmark 99 Max (8x6 16, 16, triple) PD5.41, Athlon@850mHz

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                X