vidtoasf parameters question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vidtoasf parameters question

I recall seeing a post which indicated how to optimize the use of vidtoasf. I really don't remember if it was in this forum. At any rate, they suggested some parameters which would make the output asf file smaller without reducing the quality. This util works great for me, even on very large AVI files.. however, the resulting files are larger than the AVI's ...Can anyone help?TIA....

Well, I just posted to your other topic advertising using Windows Media Encoder instead of vidtoasf because it's easier to play around with settings and you have more options at your disposal. I won't repeat myself; head over to the other topic.

I also gave some settings in the topic <a href="http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum2/HTML/002494.html">Acceleration in CG Infinity</a>; these are the ones I used for MMATFP, Yeast ws interested in them. It's near the bottom; the video these settings produced is in the Video Showcase.

[This message has been edited by fluggo99 (edited 03 January 2000).]

Comment

Thanks.. I have already tried windows media encoder... I get an error when I select any of the mpeg-4 v3 options.. it says the capture card is either busy or it is not compatible with the codec. I think the problem might be a catch-22 situation. I replaced the latest mpeg-4 v3 codec with an older version so that I could play AVI files encoded with V3... ugh! I guess one way to test my theory is to swap the latest files back in and reboot... I can always convert any AVI/V3 files to asf's ...

Comment

Ok.. I found the problem with my windows media encoder. It was set to use the wrong capture device. When I set it to use my G400 Marvel it opens up just fine. Now I have another question.. Should I remove the "other" capture device? It is "Windows WDM Image Capture".. Actually I am not sure how it got installed in the first place.. Maybe it was installed when I had that darm Voodoo 3500 TV installed (I did not like that card and replaced it with the G400 Marvel).. I think I should remove it from the multimedia/devices list... any suggestions?

Comment

The only reason you would use a capture device is for live video broadcasting. That's not what you want. The very first page of the wizard asks whether you want a live video source or an AVI/WAV/MP3 file on your system.

I have no idea what the WDM Image Capture is...a digital camera (still picture) codec?

I'll bet you could remove it without worries.

[This message has been edited by fluggo99 (edited 03 January 2000).]

Comment

Yeah, I was not using the wizard properly.. I am set now.. THANKS!

Comment

I just did some testing with windows media components.... it seems that mpeg4-v3 does a MUCH better job compressing the video than does Mpeg4-v2... I guess I am still stuck with the issue that a certain percentage of my "clients" still will not have the V3 codec installed yet... ugh...

Comment

I tried to encode using settings similar to VCD-MPEG (352x288x25 fps, video rate 1.5 mbits/second). The picture looks clean, but movement is jerky. Am I missing something? By the way, "old versions" of the ASF mpeg-4 encoder are around, that still permit encoding in AVI format. I haven't installed these yet. Do these have any side effects?
                Resistance is futile - Microborg will assimilate you.

Comment

Working...
                X