kruzin, lets talk trillinear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kruzin, lets talk trillinear

Hi there. I am old nvidia user (TNT), now I have G400 and I am extremly happy with it.
    Except for trillinear filtering. My old TNT did it with almost no performance hit (Q3). Since trillinear much improve picture quality, especially in Q3, I would like to use it on my card. I use 800*600*32 with texture slider on max and I got 44 fps. Trillinear filtering takes about 30% of speed. My oppinion is that below 40 FPS is unplayable.
    Recently I read that TNT(2) does fake trillinear with dihtering, so that is why it has no performance loss. I have to addmit that I never notice that, although I am sensitive about picture quality. My question is: why matrox doesnt do something like that?
    If they refuse to do it because of picture quality drop, I would like to see that as an driver option or perhaps reg hack.
    Sorry if my question is stupid, because I have no knowledge about driver programming at all.

Not exactly Kruzin here, but I think I can coment a bit.

I tend to agree with you that option (trilinear dithering) would be of some interest to some. After all it´s a compromise between image quality and speed. My doubt is if the G400 suports it in hardware.

But I cant agree when you say you can´t see the dithering between the mipmap boundaries with trilinear dithering. The real thing looks even worse that in a screenshot, it seems like static in pre-defined screen zones.

I prefer the real trilinear filtering any day.

Comment

What can I say? Matrox decided to do it properly. I doubt they would do it any other way at this point, just for the benefit of a few fps.
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

The only cards that do REAL Trilinear filtering are the G400's and The Savage2000. Every other card on the market FAKES this feature. While this does allow for less of a performance hit when faking, image quality is MUCH lower than TRUE trilinear filtering. This is why you feel like you are taking more of a hit w/ the G400 than yout TnT. The Savage2000 and G400 take about a 30% hit while most other cards take about 10% hit. I saw these numbers somewhere, in a head to head with GeFarce and S2000 + many other cards.. Hope this helps.

------------------
        PIII 450 @ 504
        generic BX motherboard
        G400 MAX : )
        Maxtor 13 gig UDMA 33
        Maxtor 13 gig UDMA 66
        Creative 36x CD-ROM
        HP 2x2x6x CD-RW
        64 megs PC100 RAM
        128 megs PC133 ECC RAM
        NetGear 10/100
        Soundblaster 32 AWE
        Diamond SupraExpress 56k
        Logitech Wireless Desktop (best $50 ive ever spent)
        1 92mm Sunon Fan
        4 80mm Sunon Fan's

Comment

Ummm...

http://www.aceshardware.com/Spades/r...article_id=110

------------------
          Celeron 300P@558/2.0v, P3B-F, G400DH/32MB@148/166.5

[This message has been edited by WayneHu (edited 14 February 2000).]
          P4-2.8C, IC7-G, G550

Comment

Bok Sasa!

napokon netko na forumu iz Hrvatske (osim mene )
            Kaj da ti velim, nego jedino da su ti decki dobro rekli... Mozda bi mogao texture detail smanjiti za jednu crticu? Koji imas procesor?

[This message has been edited by Goc (edited 14 February 2000).]

Comment

Thanks for answering, I thought something like that. I just want to be certain about that topics. Greetings to GOC from my homeland Croatia, contact me on sasa.kovacicek@zg.tel.hr. I have celery 400 o.c to 450. Recently I had chance to plug in P3 500 in my P2B and I was dissapointed. Only improvement in Q3 was in 640 (61 fps instead of 50). There was no gain at all in my resolution (800*600*32-44 fps) or higher. I have G400 16 Mb vanilla o.c to 135/180.
              So much about great scalability of G400. I should better save money for next Matrox card instead of bying P3.

Comment

Ah, but sasa, did you then re-install the TurboGL after putting the P3 in?

------------------
                Cheers,
                Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Nope, I use beta ICD. Maybe I made a mistake. Could you give me some Q3 numbers? I assume you have P3. I do not have it any more.

Comment

Nah, no PIII here - only a lowly PII-333 running happily along at 515Mhz... sorry!

------------------
                    Cheers,
                    Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Using the TurboGL on a Athlon 500 (comparable to a PIII) I get 50 fps on demo01.

I use 800x600 32 bit framebuffer, 32 bit textures, texture detail at max, geometry at max. Everything on, except VSync, High quality sky and Dynamic lighting are off.

By the way Dyre, the Voodoo2 I had also didn't fake trilinear as doesn't the Voodoo3. Only problem the last time I used it was that in OpenGL it was always disabled.

Comment

Yep, the Voodoo2 only allows you to use the trilinear filtering in Direct3D. Not sure of any softare workarounds, but I always thought that was odd...

Jon
                        My baby...

QDI Brilliant IV - Bios 2.0 Beta (Win2000 updates - email me if you want it!)
                        2 Pentium III 500 MHz
                        256 MB PC-100 SDRAM
                        Matrox Millenium G200 8 MB SGRAM - Bios 2.6-20
                        2 Creative Labs 3D Blaster Voodoo2 12 MB (SLI...)
                        Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live!
                        Klipsch ProMedia v.2-400
                        Quantum Viking 4.5 GB UW SCSI (weak...)
                        Creative Labs PC-DVD Encore 2X
                        Iomega 1GB Jazz

All running on Win2000...

Comment

I am from CROATIA (ZAGREB) too...but PLEASE use EANGLISH only on this FORUM all other via mail link ...OK ! Croats !

NO FALMING PLEASE !

------------------
                          PIII450@504(fsb@112),P2b,128mb,Matrox Mill-G400 32SH,Diamond MONSTER Sound II ,IntelliMouse Explorer (yahoooo! no fu..hm hm. ball any more ...)

PIII650@806(fsb@124),ASUS P3B-F,128mb,Matrox Mill-G400 32SH,SB.Live!vlue ,IntelliMouse Explorer

Comment

easy , GOC easy ! with words LIKE this !

IF YOU dont NEED IT dont SPIT on IT ..OK !

I need it wery much !

what COMP.Columnist are you any way , where what magazine PC-CHIP, BUG , or other..? Im not sure taht Columnist talks this way ?

this could start a FLAMING chat but I think KRUZIN or ANT will knowe what to do..

------------------
                            PIII450@504(fsb@112),P2b,128mb,Matrox Mill-G400 32SH,Diamond MONSTER Sound II ,IntelliMouse Explorer (yahoooo! no fu..hm hm. ball any more ...)

PIII650@806(fsb@124),ASUS P3B-F,128mb,Matrox Mill-G400 32SH,SB.Live!vlue ,IntelliMouse Explorer

Comment

Working...
                            X