Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win2k problem, thoughts appreciated.

Hi,

I got my spanking new copy of Win2k RTM build from Microsoft last week (with it's spiffy holoscreening and all) and have had some problems with it, and would just appreciate any thoughts any of you may have on it.

Firstly, my WintTV will not work. It's picked up by the operating system, the drivers install without a hitch, and it seems normal. It isn't conflicting with anything, and its got an IRQ all to itself (2k isn't recognizing the ACPI status of the mb for some reason). Anyhow, any attempt to activate the thing hardlocks the system, requiring a physical reboot to recover. I at first thought it was a VGA driver issue as WinTV's Prodinfo app declares that the current VGA setup does not support it. So, I gave it a rest and tried to get some games running.

Prob 2 crept up. Any Direct 3d game ( i have no OpenGL) I'd attempt to run would lock up after a few minutes of gameplay. The same hardlock I get from WinTV. Takes the whole OS down. And so, like a diligent boy I tried everything I can think of. I turned off busmastering. Viola, 3D games now work flawlessly (if I run them windowed... Res switching crashes the game, but not the OS).

So's I get myself thinkin... G400 locks if busmastering enabled, fine if not. WinTV is a busmastering appliance... locks up. Somehow, my system is not supporting busmastering properly. At least that's the way it seems to me. My gut reaction (and that of a kind fellow Murcer) is that Win2k is not fully supporting the Ali AladdinV chipset that my MB is built on. Perhaps it's just a case of immature drivers that will be fixed in a future release, or maybe it's something else.

Please any comments. And yes, like I said, this is a full, registered copy of Win2k that I got from attending the recent Microsoft Roadshow. I do not support Warez.

Thank you. (BTW, I have it in a dual-boot, so this is non-critical, just annoying.)

------------------
    -Michael
    ---------------
    "There is much cruelty in the universe.."
    "Yeah, and we seem to have a treasure map to it..."
    --Excerpt from "Farscape: Bone to be Wild."
    G400 32MB DH. Asus p5a. AMD K63-450. 128 MB. Huappage WinTV-PCI. SoundBlaster Live Value.
    -Michael
    ---------------
    G400 32MB DH. Asus p5a. AMD K63-450. 128 MB. Huappage WinTV-PCI. SoundBlaster Live Value.

Spot on. Win2K has some real issues with non-intel chipsets. MS gave up trying to get these working, it is now up to the motherboard vendor to supply appropriate drivers.

Hang around some of the Win2K newsgroups and you will see what I mean - there are a lot of problems, VIA seems to be the worst.

Paul

Comment

It's absolutely a non-intel issue. I get random hangs on my VIA machines, just mousing around in Windows or running MS Word. Same machine, only with a BX, doesn't exhibit this behavior. *shrug*

Wait for VIA 4-in-1 for Win2k.

- Gurm

------------------
      Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Thanks to the both of you. And now we play the waiting game...

Ah, the waiting game sucks. Let's play Hungry, Hungry Hippos.

BTW, Gurm: Judging by your siggy, this link would appeal:
        http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=5182

------------------
        -Michael
        ---------------

[This message has been edited by Michael7 (edited 15 February 2000).]
        -Michael
        ---------------

Comment

Try setting agp to 1x mode. My BX board chokes on any 3d until I do this.

Comment

How do you force AGP 1x in Win2k?

------------------
            -Michael
            ---------------
            -Michael
            ---------------

Comment

I thought I saw the registry entry here earlier, but I did a quick search and couldn't find it. I know you can use power strip, run it with the /agp:1x option everytime you boot.

Comment

Working...
              X