Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hint at Matrox's Next Card?

Pinched from 3DNews.net just now...

Alex "Cybermind" Redman of Zen Tao Interactive has updated his .plan with word of his trip and a mention about a tech demo they're working on for Matrox's next card. Dig it in it's full glory:
    Feb 11th, 2000 Back from my trip to Toronto, all went *very* well. 'Nuff said, for the moment at least, so a quick change of topic for now.

Keep your eye on Matrox.. they are going to kick some major ass in the next quarter. Zen Tao Interactive is working on some aspects of a techdemo for Matrox' next generation board, but I can't say much more, so don't ask, period.

It might be wise to hold off on buying that GeForce. Something wickeder is just around the bend with your name on it.

Cyber
    Why not 6 months ago Matrox? Still, hopefully they will have learned the weaknesses of the GeForce and Savage2000 and come up with something better yet.

T&L is here now, it's evolution will be interesting to watch!

------------------
    PIII 500@560 (2.1V) - ABit BF6 (QJ) - 128MB Corsair CAS2 - 3D Blaster GeForce (140/190) - 12 MB Voodoo2 - SBLive! Value - ViewSonic PS775 - 8.4 + 4.3Gb Quantum Fireball CRs & so on.
    Look, I know you think the world of me, that's understandable, you're only human, but it's not nice to call somebody "Vain"!

Hmm next quarter sounds interesting, either the G450 has slipped as it was planned to release it Q1 or they have scrapped it to concentrate on the G800 and bring that out early as it was due Q3.

Comment

these are just the kind of news tidbits that i like...i have a nice "home" for their newest creation, whatever its' called, which by the way i think they should call it the "GTL2000". here is home...

Motherboard: AMI MegaRUM II, dual 600Mhz Pentium III processors (installed), each with a 32/512 Cache configuration. 512 Mb of PC100, 8ns memory. Symbios Logic 53C896 U2W SCSI controllers. Intel 443GX Xeon chipset.

SCSI I/O:

Channel 1(LVD/U2): 4 Seagate LVD Cheetah 18LP, ST39103LW Ultra2 Wide SCSI-3 hard Drives, each with 1024k cache.

Channel 2(SE): JAZ 2GB internal, Plex-Writer 8/20, Pioneer DVD-303s ultra-scsi DVD reader and 2 UltraPlex-Wide 17/40 speed CD-ROM drives.

USB: USB Zip Drive, Epson Stylus Scan 2500

Networking: The network adapter is a 3Com 3C509B-TX PCI 10/100 Mbps controller, and a US Robotics Courier V.Everything 33.6/28.8/x2/V.90 internal ISA modem.

Video: Matrox G400 Max with Dual Head. The primary display is a Panasonic PanaSync E21, .25-dot pitch, 20" viewable; the secondary display is a Viewsonic flat panel display model VP150.

Multi-media: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live PCI Bus Mastering sound card. Speaker system is the Cambridge Works FPS2000 Digital speaker system.

...soon to be running win2k

chucky

Comment

Chucky is now a RICH doll....

Comment

According to that above link it sounds like "Cyber" saw a demo of some new technology and someone there told him an approximate time period that Matrox was shooting for.

Of course it's all speculation but until Matrox releases official statements but I really like what Ant said about scrapping the G450 and having them concentrate on a G800 or whatever they'll call it.

IMO, there's no need to rush a T&L (really only "T") card to market. My friends all think I'm crazy with all the computer upgrades I do, but right now I have no desire to get rid of my G400 for another board with basically the same specs and T&L. I need something that's going to offer a big performance increase before I spend any more money. I wonder how many others are thinking the same thing?

I'd rather see Matrox never release a G450 and push up the release of the G800 one quarter.

Comment

The G800 or whatever it will finally be called will have it's T&L support built around DirectX8's T&L functions so the earliest the board could be released is presumably at the same time as DX8 which is scheduled for a summer release.

Comment

I couldn´t agree mor with Allan2- right you are on the g450 card. Every card out should be much evolved than the previous. As this isn´t the case with G450, erase it from the face of the earth.
              BTW, between Ant´s words we can clearly see a light of hope on the release dates for the
              GTL400 (i like this name)!!!!! Excelent news!!!!
              P2350@400 (hope to change this line)
              128mb pc133 cas2
              13,6 Gb IBM 7200rpm
              16mb vanilla@174/217 (proudly said!)

about myself
              UT Slave
              Q3 pisser
              Nocturne Lover(Nocturne the game)
              U9 stupid buyer
              Rally2000 pilot

Comment

i myself would rather matrox stay a little behind the "curve" on new product cycles so that they can have a fuller view of emerging trends.

chucky

Comment

BTW does anyone have an ideia if G800/GTL400 will sofer from the same mem bottleneck probs of the G-farce or will it use a solution of some kind of L1 very fast memory and some more external memory, much like bitboyz solution. This would be the first time matrox implememnted one of their features. EMBP(which i love of course)
                  P2350@400 (hope to change this line)
                  128mb pc133 cas2
                  13,6 Gb IBM 7200rpm
                  16mb vanilla@174/217 (proudly said!)

about myself
                  UT Slave
                  Q3 pisser
                  Nocturne Lover(Nocturne the game)
                  U9 stupid buyer
                  Rally2000 pilot

Comment

I'm also starting to think that Matrox is considering, and may have to release the G800 in single and dual chip configurations.
                    Should prove interesting!
                    Celeron 566@877 1.8V, 256meg generic PC-100 RAM (running at CAS2) Abit BH6, G400 16meg DH@150/200, Western Digital Expert 18gig, Ricoh mp7040A(morphed to mp7060A) Pioneer 6X DVD slot load, Motorola Cable Modem w/DEC ethernet card, Soundblaster Live Value Ver. 2, Viewsonic GT 775

Comment

The G800 plan is to have a series of boards as with the G400. In the G800s case the "MAX" version if you like will be the dual chip version, the vanilla will be single chip.

Comment

What will the four chip version be called?
                        Oh sorry said too much. Nobody read this OK?

Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
                        --------------------------------------------------
                        OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
                        and burped out a movie

Comment

ok mark f...i didn't read what you said

mark f...are you just a commoner on this bbs or do you have a site or get inside info from people who are in or have contacts with matrox?

I am new on this particular board...can you tell? :P

Comment

I know the bottleneck for high res, hig fps is the memory speed (right?).

What I was thinking was why not do a RAID type arrangement?

Ive been playing with a new RAID controller here at work, and the mirroring seems perfect (or striping).

Its takes the same amount of time to write to the memory, but access time is halved.

Can you imagine a G450, G800 or whatever with mirrored 166Mhz DDR Ram? that would be the equivalent of 664Mhz memory speed.

Now, Im not an electrical or electronic engineer or anything, so Im probably being stupid, but with Ram prices getting lower again, why not have 64Mb, with only 32Mb being 'usefull' for storage?

If you did it well, you could also possibly set up the RAID controller so that if you are running a programe that needs lots of texture memory, then you can use the whole 64MB without mirroring.

Just thinking out loud I suppose, but any feedback would be nice.

Comment

hehe, I'm glad to see at least two people found this interesting!

Check this out...
                              http://www.webdog.org/plans/327

[This message has been edited by Agent31 (edited 13 February 2000).]
                              Look, I know you think the world of me, that's understandable, you're only human, but it's not nice to call somebody "Vain"!

Comment

Working...
                              X