• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NT4 - mgabg.exe goes cpu grabbing

G200 Mystique/8
    Abit Bx6 r2
    PD 4.34
    NT 4.0 W/S Service Pack 6a

After booting the system it was sat idle when I noticed that the hard drive was chuntering away to itself every couple of seconds or so. I looked at the task manager to find that MGABG.EXE was sat there using up 30% CPU and was continuously clocking CPU time. Can someone tell me what MGABG.exe does and why it might go walkabouts. The system seemed to remain stable when I stopped the process.

And whilst on the subject of strange things with the drivers I noticed that 3DS Max 2.5 is still using the Microsoft OpenGL drivers and doesn't have the option to use Maxtrox OpenGL ?? Why is this and how can I use Matrox OpenGL

The only thing stopping me buying a G400 is that I'm still having strange little things like this happen with the old G200 drivers - is the G400 more stable and are the drivers better in NT4 - and can I use the OpenGL acceleration in 3DS ?

------------------
    Warning: Sigs may seriously damage your health...

Never heard of the process, maybe it's an old QuickDesk applet? You may want to check if you can remove it from the registry (HKLM/CurrentControlSet/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Run).
    P3@600 | Abit BH6 V1.01 NV | 256MB PC133 | G400MAX (EU,AGP2X) | Quantum Atlas 10K | Hitachi CDR-8330 | Diamond FirePort 40 | 3c905B-TX | TB Montego A3D(1) | IntelliMouse Explorer | Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 17 | Win2K/NT4

Comment

Thanks, although it was installed as part of the latest PD (well 4.34 - just noticed a new one). I'll try disabling it and running some tests to see if everything is still stable. If anyone does know what MGABG does then I'd appreciate your info. BG - Background ??? maybe some logic in naming - although being a software developer myself I doubt it

Comment

MGABG (an exe and KM-driver) takes care of that BIOS auto-corruption problem that Matrox cards don't have...

Comment

Indeed, it seems that that's what it's supposed to do. And now it's in Win2K too. What a comforting thought...
          P3@600 | Abit BH6 V1.01 NV | 256MB PC133 | G400MAX (EU,AGP2X) | Quantum Atlas 10K | Hitachi CDR-8330 | Diamond FirePort 40 | 3c905B-TX | TB Montego A3D(1) | IntelliMouse Explorer | Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 17 | Win2K/NT4

Comment

Working...
          X