Compare G400 models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compare G400 models

I'm not sure if I get all of the different versions of the G400 card. I'm looking for:
    * 32MB
    * DualHead

there seem to be two or three different options that I can take. Which one should I choose?

I think the G400 is the generic one with 32 megs and dual-head display.

The G400 max, I think, has faster memory, so it's about 50 bucks more expensive.
    -Sean Bires

the 'net gets slower by the day, I swear...

Comment

Max has higher clockspeed on both Memory and internal clock.

So your choices are :

- Max/regular

and if you go for a regular

- bulk or retail (retail includes colorfull box and software)

- 16 or 32 MB RAM (32 if you wanna play games in very high res.)

- DualHead or SingleHead (singlehead only in bulkversions)

So if you want 32 megs and DualHead you can get :

- 32 meg DualHead retail

- 32 meg DualHead bulk

- Max version (has 32 meg and DualHead).

Torben R.

G400 news, info, downloads and mailinglist : http://TRsDomain.homepage.dk

Comment

I also should point out that I want to watch a fair amount of DVDs. Although the G400s have the DVD Max feature, do they have the "important" DVD processing options, like hardware motion compensation? Or, do I need to consider an ATi/GeForce for that feature?

Comment

As long as you've got at least a P2-350, software decoding does an excellent job. No dropped frames, excellent picture quality. I see no need for a hardware decoder. Using my SBLive and WinDVD, I even get full AC-3 output to my home theatre system, all through software.
          Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

i have a hardware decoder, and its great. id suggest it if you are really picky about your dvd as the movie quality is a bit higher. my roomates got a p3600 and even it gets an occasional frame skip(you really have to look for it though). besides, if you have a dual-head g400, you can use the second output to a dvd from the dvd card, tahts what im doing. it works great!
            First Love:
            • Lite-On FS020 enclosure w/4 120mm Panaflos and soon a 172mm Nidec
            • MSI 694D Pro w/ BIOS 1.6
            • 2x800E cC0 Pentium 3 w/ 2xVolcanoII
            • SyncMAX(NEC) PC166 VCM SDRAM 4x128mb w/ CAS = 1
            • nVidia Quadro2 Pro, but Matrox at heart
            • And other non-important stuff like hard drives and a dvd drive
            • Pineapples

Second Love:
            1990 Toyota Celica GT

Comment

I used to use a Creative Labs Dxr3 (Hollywood +) decoder card. Threw it away with my G400 MAX and WinDVD. The MAX has a much better picture (no pass-through cable).

------------------
              600 MHz PIII @ 660 Mhz (2.05 V) w/Alpha P3-125 heatsink/fan, ABIT BE6-2, 128 MB Siemens PC100 SDRAM, G400 MAX, Diamond V2 SLI, CL SB Live with Sennheiser HD-600 headphones, Sennheiser DSP360 Dolby processor, and Shure FP22 headphone amplifier, Adaptec AHA2940 w/uw SCSI, IBM 9ZX 9.1GB 10K UW SCSI HD, WDE 4360 4.3GB 7.2k UW SCSI HD, Pioneer 303s SCSI DVD, Win98SE, in a modified Supermicro SC750A case with PCP&C Silencer 275W PS, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Comment

i aslo threw away my Hollywood+ card when i got my MAX, noticable better quality, get no framedrops even with a 300Mhz cpu using Cinemaster DVD.

I never used the Pass-thru for the H+, only used the Tvoutput, so that was never a prob tho. but anyway the G400 with DVDMAX looks better.
                <font size=1>Primary System: ASUS P4B533-E, Intel Pentium4 1.6A GHz, 512MB Samsung PC2700, Leadtek GF4 Ti4200 64MB, SB Audigy, 2xSeagate Barracuda IV 80GB, Pioneer DVD 106S, NEC CD-R 40/10/40, InWin Q500 Case w/ Enermax 353W PSU, Windows XP Pro, Samsung SyncMaster 753DFX.

Secondary System: ECS K7S5A, Athlon XP 1600+, 256MB PC133, Asus GF2 GTS 32MB, Seagate Barracuda IV 20GB, Aopen HQ08 Case, Windows XP Pro.</font>

Comment

Working...
                X