upgrading from Voodoo 3 to G400 Max

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upgrading from Voodoo 3 to G400 Max

I will be doing this upgrade later tonight and I want to make sure that I get rid of all of the Voodoo drivers and such in the registry to make sure I don't have any problems when I do the upgrade. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, which drivers would be the best to use?

Thanks,

Kirk- Happy to have a Matrox card again

Well, fortunatly I'm not familiar with Voodoo3 drivers I would just uninstall with any util they have (or just remove it from device manager, then do a registry search for anything related, and look for any file that might be left behind in your system folder, along with any game folders that might have their version of opengl32.dll. Switch to standard vga drivers before installing the G400. When installing the G400 drivers, DO NOT just point to them when the hardware is detected. Run the setup program.

And for which drivers to use, I would go with the 5.50.010 betas released just today, unless you have a SS7 mobo...then I would suggest 5.30...

And welcome back to the good side
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

YOu should also have a look into your registry ...

boot into safe mode,run regedit and go down to:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Class\Display

... delete any entry you might have (0000, 0001 etc.)

------------------
      Cheers,
      Maggi

Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...
      Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
      Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
      be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
      4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
      2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
      OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
      4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
      Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
      Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
      LG BH10LS38
      LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

First uninstall the 3dfx tools.

Then remove everything else that is related to 3dfx such as TV software for V3 3500.

And finally change your display adapter to Standard VGA. Reboot, and remove any left over registry entries, if there is any. If you don't know how to do it, leave the registry alone and just install the new drivers for your G400 after inserting it to your PC.

You should, however, use the 5.41 set of drivers. Don't bother installing the drivers from the CD. And while your at it, download the Matrox Tweak Utility and uninstaller too!

Hope that helped.

cheers,

Tomi

Comment

you may want to list your system specs so we can cut off any trouble spots for you!
          jim

------------------
          PIII-500mhz @ 620 ! with an Abit BE6 mobo
          128mb pc-100
          Mill G400 (vanilla!!!) 32mb @ 167/208 with MGATweak-417mhz, (2.5, 2, 2.5), PD 5.41 & bios 1.5-22
          Maxtor 14.3 gb Uata66 hdd
          SB Live!
          Winblows 98se & DX7
          32 lbs. of fans, heatsinks and aluminum ductwork
          3DMark Result 5954.69 3DMarks
          Synthetic CPU 3D Speed 9325.69 CPU 3DMarks
          Rasterizer Score 2791.72 3DRasterMarks
          Game 1 - Race 65.07 FPS
          Game 2 - First Person 54.89 FPS
          Fill Rate 268.79 MTexels/s

System 1:
          AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
          Epox 8K7A
          2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
          an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
          SBLIVE 5.1
          Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
          IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
          Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
          3Com Hardware Modem
          Teac 20/10/40 burner
          Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I didn't have time to do it last night and now I won't be able to get to it until Sunday as I have a soccer match tonight and an all day Miata Rally on Saturday. While doing the videocard upgrade, I will also be swapping out my PII for a PIII 500E since it and my slocket just arrived.

Specs:
            Win 98 SE
            Abit BH6
            PII 300 SL2W8 OC'd to 450
            256 MB PC100
            Voodoo 3 3000
            8 GB WD IDE
            3x 2 GB SCSI

Comment

I haven't done this in a few weeks, so my memory might be a bit hazy. I believe the 3dfx Tools uninstaller only removed the 3dfx software. It left the drivers in my Windows directory.

After uninstalling the drivers, install the standard VGA driver and reboot. Using Windows Explorer, do a search in your Windows directory for 3dfx*.*. If anything turns up, delete it.

In addition to Maggi's suggestion, search your registry for 3dfx references here:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software]

Look for "3dfx Interactive." If it's there, delete it. Get rid of any other reference to 3dfx and Voodoo.

If you are using the Voodoo3 Overclocker, you should uninstall that *first.* It also writes to the registry, so you might want to check for it as well.

Paul
              paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Working...
              X