Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 problems in Win2k

Hey!

I have a big issue with my G400 MAX now...

When I installed Win2k...it didn't detect my G400 MAX, so I downloaded the newest beta ones from matrox.

I installed them, but when re-booting, my computer freezes at the log-in screen...

I thought: "AHA, IRQ conflicts!" So I shut down, and removed ALL my PCI devices, leaving only the G400 MAX left in my PC.

Starting Win2k again, made the same problems...so I had to remove my G400 and I'm now sitting here with my TNT1 8Mb...D'OH!

The card works perfectly in Win98...any ideas...I've re-installed Win2k twice, too

I'm desperate

-Xorcist

I have EXACTLY the same problem and its driving me nuts!

Abit BX6 (original)
    C466
    128MB
    G400MAX

I've installed the MSDN win2kpro about 3 times now, and it works great on a ATI Rage Pro, an old Matrox Millenium PCI, and of course in VGA mode. When I install the beta 5 drivers for win2k, the system stops loading on the 'starting win2k' screen. The scrollong bar freezes, but the mouse pointer can still be moved around. It will stop loading at the same spot no matter what I do.

There is nothing in the event logs and device manager reports the MAX as working fine. I have a recent BIOS for my motherboard and there are no IRQ conflicts.

Help!

m109

Comment

Try waiting for a while to see if it boots, my system does the same thing, the scrolling bar freezes, mouse pointer still moves, all I do is wait, and it eventually boots.

Rags

Comment

Have all of you enabled an IRQ for VGA in the bios? Win98 don't care if it's enabled or not, but w2k do... It worked for me.

------------------
        HalvDan - The Guy from Sweden

Comment

Interesting.... I actually left win2k loading overnight and it was still stuck at the startup screen in the morning.

Question: How do enable a "VGA IRQ" in BIOS? I don't recall an option to do something like this in all of my BIOS-related adventures... and there have been many

Thanks for the help!

Comment

My problem is after the loading screen, it's right after the log-on screen and sometimes at the log-on screen...and everything freezes...the mouse, too...I have to plug out my power cord, too (on/off doesn't work, it freezes so severe)

I have enabled IRQ for serial, parallell and floppy, but I don't believe there is a way to enable VGA IRQ...anyways the TNT works fine...it's just so damn slow in games...

Comment

I get Screensaver problems with my card, although only for the OpenGL ones - they won't start, I get a program error.

Comment

In my bios (MSI6163 motherboard) under "pci/pnp" I can enable or disable an irq for VGA and USB. If VGA is disabled w2k locks up at startup, just as you guys describe it.

------------------

Comment

Yes.. with all boards that have an AGP slot.. you assign an IRQ to VGA.. some mobo's will even let you assign the first video boot device: PCI or AGP. mine does..

it'llbe in (like the other guy said) in your PNP/PCI or chipset features.. you can do that there..

also check to see if you are on the latest BIOS

CB
                  Abit BX6 Rev.1
                  Celeron 366A PPGA @ 566, 2.1v
                  192 meg RAM, CAS2
                  13.0 gig Maxtor 4320 HD
                  6.0 gig Maxtor (in removeable drive bay)
                  HP8110i 4x2x24
                  Pioneer DVD-104
                  SB Live! 1024
                  USB ZIP 100
                  G400 32MB DH 5ns RAM at 187/211
                  Two KDS 17" Trinitron monitors
                  YAMAHA HTR-5140 Reciever

Comment

I can't seem to find that option in my BIOS...I enter PCI config...but there's only IRQ settings for ISA there (????) and there's an VGA option for ISA graphics...but enabling or disabling it doesn't make any difference.

Do I need to upgrade my BIOS? I have a PhoenixBIOS 6.0.9...I know there's a 6.1 version but I can't find a place to d/l...anyone know where I can find it?

-Xorcist

P.S.
                    I have Intel 440BX/100 Chipset

Comment

I had such trouble with g400 (cfg: abit6 r.2, win2k).
                      But after installation old ver. drivers (4.90) win2k became works.
                      Then i reboot OS and install next version (5.00).
                      Now win2k works without problem. What Does It Mean ?

Comment

The VGA trick worked! Thanks a bunch folks

Chris

Comment

The new drivers in Win2k didn't help...I am desperate now...no VGA IRQ setting in BIOS (if it's not the ISA graphic you guys are referring to) and new drivers not helping either...

What am I to do?

Comment

If you don't have an option in the BIOS, then it may always be assigned. Have you checked in device manager to see if an interrupt has been assigned?

Paul

Comment

YYYYEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!

When completely uninstalling device and then running setup.exe (not just add hardware) the G400 rolled in like a beauty!

My only problem now is how to overclock my processor...I have a P3-550Mhz and have been told that it can withstand 650Mhz with regular cooling...but I can't seem to find the Front Side Bus jumpers...I can see a table of FSB and Multiplier settings but there are no jumpers in sight (if they're not under the CD-devices

Comment

Working...
                              X