Matrox mill G400MAX driver v541
    Aureal vortex2 reference drivers for the Xitel storm platinum v2040
    I also have the powerdesk and utilities installed
    G400 bios version 1.5xx
    Motherboard bios ver124
    There are also no conflicts what so ever within windows

My problem:
    Installation is fine.
    And everything works even through a soft boot(windows restart without shutdown)
    When i turn my computer off completely and on again , windows boots but...
    When the desktop needs to be displayed my computer freezes and screen output
    is completely garbled.

So far the only two ways to remedy this was by resetting and....

Sometimes i am able to reach windows again but a standard pci VGA adapter is running
    even though the system properties state that the Matrox card is installed and working properly.
    I know this since colordepth cannot do higher than 16bit at 640x480.
    And of course it looks much more ugly than a Matrox card.
    I then need to uninstall the driver and adapter , reinstall it and make sure i do not power down.

If I am not able to reach windows again I need to run safe mode , uninstall the matrox product,
    reboot to normal windows and reinstall the board drivers and utilities.
    This then works fine untill i power down again in which case it all happens over again.

What is the problem here?
    What should i do?
    Please help me!

Gabriel

------------------
    You all may think this is not important.
    BUT IT IS AMATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH!

Go to the MURC utility downloads and grab the PD 5 registry hacks. In there, you will find one named "forceagp2x.reg". Double click on it to install it into the registry, and reboot.

Presto.

Several of us with the K7M + G400 have this exact same problem. I don't know of a better solution or work around than that.

Comment

I have allready tried that.
      But on reboot my system resets to 1x AGP again.
      The only way I can remedy this is by running the forceagp2x hack each time i have booted sothat it works the next time.

Does any one know why this is?
      Could it be that the k7m supplies too little power , or do i have a crappy k7m?

I am thinking of getting a G7IX , and maybe I would be able to overclock it with some utils from gigabyte?

Do you thing it would be more reliable than my current platform?

Thanx anyway

Comment

I ran into this problem at work, and it was the memory voltage jumper. In the upper right hand of the board, near the sd-ram sockets, there is a jumper that is default set to 3.4v for the ram, if you move it over to the left 2 pins, it sets it to the 3.3 it should be at. Hope this helps,

Warchild

Comment

Thanx anyway

First an update:
          I returned the K7M and got a G7IX.
          Which by the way , crshed in the bios hardware monitoring screen.
          As for windows , I installed 98SE and it did not want to reboot after everything was set up.

I got it to work through shuffling the irq's and disabling my USB , COM's and LPT in the bios.
          Fantastic , now I was in windows but everything else crashed each time I tried it.
          And not just a protection fault or exception , but an full blown hang. *freezzzze*

Well took that one back as well and got a K&M without audio - and super bypass enabled I might ad
          Set all the voltages down to normal , forced AGP2x and it worked 4 out of 5 boots.
          Got fed up of the one where it did not work and am now running an auto reg entry.

Does any one have a way to send a message to win sothat you do not have to push enter twice when you enter a registry file?

Well , so far as stable as a rock on Table Mountain.

But I think VIA has some bus mastering problems - what does the rest of this community think?

When running Winrar at high priority a simple explorer window seems to be brought to a standstil in periodic fashion.

What gives?

Comment

G7, I would have suggested the MSI 6167... IMHO by far the most stable (like a rock) and trouble free SlotA out!

------------------
            Designer of the first commercial Athlon mod.
            Anyone up for an Athlon800+? Email me (epc@netdirect.net) for more information

3000 mips, 1.172 gflops @ 900 mHz 1:3 latency w/ active cooling
            CPUmark99 75
            FPU Winmark 4890

3Dmark 99 Max (8x6 16, 16, triple) PD5.41, Athlon@850mHz

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Hey Greebe... aren't you a bit worried?
              AMD is doing the Intel way now! You heard about those dudes being sued for making an Athlon mod, for sure?!

Back to the topic... G7, I personnaly don't own a K7 rig but listen to Greebe here... he's like the "Athlon Guru" around here and also one of the Beta boyz that get to test everything from Matrox that we drewl over after hearing a rumor or two wink, wink

Oh... btw. please get rid of that monitor and get yourself at least a 17" one. You'll be doing yourself a big favor, and give G400 a chance to show why it is so good

[This message has been edited by Goc (edited 27 January 2000).]

Comment

Thanx for your help so far guys/girls.

Every thing is fine now - still have to enter the force2xagp.reg file each time windows boots but that does not bother me anymore :P

Anyway , how can I become a Beta boy?
                That really sounds fun!

Has anyone had any trouble playing System Shock II on their G400 MAX's?
                It quits where the first gameframe should be and says -"SS II does not support your hardware"
                Grrrrrrrr

SS II uses direct x 6.1a as far as I know right?
                But it says my card does not have D3D drivers for it - as a mattaer of fact I have DX7 installed with PD5 and the 5.41 drivers.
                This game was tested on the G200 and should then propably work on the G400MAX right?

Should I use the BETA dx7 drivers?

Further more Battlezone II crashes alot - any info there?

ps: I want to be a Matrox beta tester!

------------------

Comment

G7 - You asked how to import into registry without getting the confirmation msg. If you know anyone who can code in Delphi then get them to knock you up a lil utility it would take about 5 mins and you could run it minimised so you wouldn't even see it. Probably just as easy in C or VB but I don't work in them.

------------------
                  Warning: Sigs may seriously damage your health...

Comment

Thanx MartinS I'll check it out - propably try it myself I really forgot about high level languages.

Well I also have a further problem
                    I am running a G400 MAX with a Viewsonic e653 and every now and again my desktop is shifted or stretched sothat it does not fit nicely onto the screen.
                    Could this be the G400 or is it the monitors fault?
                    I have a friend running a Savage 4 pro with the same screen with no image shifting - maybe my monitor is broken?

btw. it is running at 1024x768x32 and the shifting does not happen when i switched modes - well at least i think so - it is only after a boot.

My system is wacko!
                    hehehe

Comment

You have to have the 5.30 drivers installed to play SSII. They're working on fixing the bug that broke it with later drivers.
                      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

If you've modified the size of your desktop using the matrox PD utility AND set your monitor to remember the resolution settings then maybe both are kicking in and your monitor is remembering it's settings and then being adjusted by the Powerdesk util as it loads. My LG Flatron does this so I just modify the settings on the monitor and leave the PD util alone.

If you can't do (or be bothered to do) a util for Registry keys then give me a shout and I'll do one over lunch for ya. I'll just create a simple util that picks up Reg keys from a file when it runs and puts them into the registry - you can then create a file with whatever you need in it and run at startup.

------------------

Comment

I've seen a lot of talk about problems with the Asus K7M. The simple thing is that the Asus is VERY VERY stable. The only problem was with any BIOS prior to 1007. 1007 and later(not including the latest beta BIOS code), is VERY VERY stable.

The problem you were describing SOUNDS like it may have been an AGP voltage problem. This happens frequently with weak power supplies, and in most cases does not indicate a flaw or problem with the motherboard itself. I've run my Athlon-550(.25 version), on the FIC SD11(ver 1.7), and I experienced what you would describe. Garbage. Things would work in safe mode, but the Matrox drivers would bomb the machine. The solution was to go into safe mode, delete the adapter, and then reboot to let windows re-detect the card and initialize the drivers.

Again, the Asus is a VERY solid motherboard, as long as you have the 1.04 version. If you somehow ended up with a version before 1.04, you were robbed by whoever sold you the board.

Comment

YES!
                            Please make such an utility for me - I would really appreciate it.
                            And please send me the code as well if you do not mind. (Any language)

I have a ver 1.04 K7M and a sparkle power GT 300Watt power supply.
                            Should I up the IO voltage to make the system stable or lower it?
                            It is now running at 3.3V and the VAUX is disabled sothat I only have 3V PCI (I believe)>

About the driver issue . wouldn't I see a performance loss if i go to the earlier ver drivers? And shouldn't the dx7 beta's help at all?

Questions , questions , questions

I was thinking about upgrading the k7m's bios to the new beta , I believe beta is not allways bad.
                            What do you think?

Anyway - I'll stick to matrox for quite some time - they just make excellent products!

Comment

G7 it is not G7 enimore. Russia inter in it. Now it is G8
                              My concern is with growth. You must grow to become one, to become whole, to become sane. I am not going to force sanity upon you. Rather, I am going to bring out your insanity. When it is pulled out completely, throw into the wind, sanity will happen to you, you will grow. You will be transformated. That is the meaning of meditation

Osho
                              --------------
                              I will try to use a dictionary when I can't
                              (Corrected by Robert&Collins dictionary)
                              Credit Card numbers Visa expiration date 2005 N:5125 1548 6548 please dont steel

Comment

Working...
                              X