This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mutant SMP. Is it impossible?

I'm thinking of buying a P3 550e socket processor.
    I thought of selling my current P3 500Katmai slot 1 processor but have a question.

According to 2cpu.com , intel says that different speeds of processors are OK, but NT would unclock one processor to match the other.
    They also said that different stepping numbers are not a real problem for SMP.
    To finish they said that different cache architectures would be also OK.

So I though of buying a Iwill Socket II Slot 1 to socket converter and use the P3 550e with my current slot 1 P3 500 katmai.

Is it possible???
    Thanks.

People have got it working. Personally, I use processors with identical batch numbers as well as steppings, this is what Intel recommends. Timing faults in SMP machines are really hard to track down, problems with cache coherency can make an SMP machine slower than a single processor. If you read the Pentium errata, you'll get an idea about the sorts of SMP problems Intel has had to fix - I would certainly want my processors matched.

Paul

Comment

It is possible, as described above, but the question is 'would you want to anyway?'

If you do lots of 3D design work, or compiling large amounts of code then yes, you would see a benefit, but if not then the 550e by itself would probably be quicker than a dual 500.

Comment

Transferred to the General Hardware form...
        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Working...
        X