G200 keeps freezing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G200 keeps freezing

I have a G200 card in my system that keeps freezing! Its a K6-2-266 CPU with a FICA 503+ 1.0 mother board. I get weird artifacts on the screen that only go away if I "slide" another window over it and "slide" the window back. If that doesn't get rid of them I have to go to a full screen DOS window and back to windows.... but shortly after my comptuer locks up, mouse sill moves, but thats it. Any ideas? It REALLY gets me angry. I use win95 and win98SE with the latest and greatest drivers in everything. Thanks for any tips.
    AMD K6-2-266 MHz, G200, Fic 503+ MVP 3 mother board, Adaptec 2940 SCSI controler, ESS 16 bit ISA sound card, cheapy ISA 56K winmodem, cheapy ethernet PCI card

Heres a tip its not always the latest and greatest drivers are the most stable, trust me ive learnt this...the screen glitches definately sound like a driver problem to me.
    As far as the system lockups go, is your processor running too hot ? Also try setting your mainboard BIOS to default settings to see if this fixes your problem. If it does, slowly go through and change settings one by one to find the cause of the problem. Once found you should be safe to enable all the funky features back again and avoid the one that locks up your computer.
    WindowsME, AMD K6-2/450, GA-5aa (bios 1.3), 64Mb PC-100, Millenium G200 16Mb (bios 2.7) - (pd5.41), Quantum Fireball EL 10.2Gb, Pioneer 10x DVD, Realtek 8029AS, Vibra16, Mitsubishi Diamond View 17"

Comment

Check your card for overheating. My system became VERY unstable last summer and it turned out my G200 got too hot. When I put a finger on the heatsink, I almost burned myself...

If you suspect overheating, screwing a $5 486-fan on the heatsink will solve this problem.

Comment

That is the typical problem of AGP being forced to 2x...

Comment

With your system you should go 'back' to 5.30 drivers, after useing the uninstall program (yes you should).
          If the problems still happen force AGP to 1X. No great performance loss just better stability. REALLY

Mark F.

------------------
          OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a CD

Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
          --------------------------------------------------
          OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
          and burped out a movie

Comment

If it's a heat problem, why would creating more for the card to do (dragging windows, opening a DOS window) fix it, even temporarily (before the PC apparently runs out of resources, as is strongly implied by the description of the lockup)?

-------------------------
            Holly

Comment

I see you have a SCSI controller, but is your CD-ROM an IDE? On my old 503+ I could use busmastering on the G200 only if I turned off DMA on the CD-ROM. I found busmastering the G200 was more important than DMA on the CD-ROM.

But if you've got a SCSI CD this wouldn't be the answer.

The other thing I had to do on the 503+ was to put the ethernet card in the slot next to the AGP slot. Its the only slot that I could make it work in and not cause instability.

RAB
              AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

RAB- Thanks for the tip, I just checked and my old Hitachi 8X IDE CDROM is currently in "PIO" mode... what ever that means. There is a empty slot between my eithernet card and G200 AGP card for better cooling of the G200.

------------------
                AMD K6-2-266 MHz, G200, Fic 503+ MVP 3 mother board, Adaptec 2940 SCSI controler, ESS 16 bit ISA sound card, cheapy ISA 56K winmodem, cheapy ethernet PCI card

Comment

I saw your sig...

They make ISA winmodems?
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Yes, they have ISA Winmodems. I am currently using my USR 28.8 ISA winmodem, which has been force flashed to 33.6, then X2, then V.90.

Rags

Comment

The early winmodems where ISA. Worst modems I ever had to install. When they first came out, I was managing a tech dept in a PC shop, and had to deal with them constantly, as sales was pushing them hard at the time. After I showed the owner of the store how much they where costing us in tech support after the first month, we stopped selling them alltogether. Aside from being an enormous pain to set up properly (they never want to use the resources you want them to), they are resource sucking pigs. They tend to interfere with many people's system's operation.

Smash it with a hammer!!!
                      Or at least pull it out of the system temporarily, and see if it helps your problem
                      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

you might also want to disable write cache pipline and read around write.

------------------
                        Amd K6-2 350@452,Fic 503+1.2a,64mb pc100 Mushkin Samsung GH cas2,G200 8mb Sgram,Maxtor 8.4gb,Yamaha Sound
                        Amd K6-2 350@452,Fic 503+1.2a,64mb pc100 Mushkin Samsung GH cas2,G200 8mb Sgram,Maxtor 8.4gb,Yamaha Sound

Comment

hmmmmm u say enabling DMA on cdroms plays with Busmastering on the g200.... interesting this may be the cause of my problems... http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum5/HTML/007568.html

------------------
                          AMD K6-2/450, GA-5aa (bios 1.3), 64Mb PC-100, Millenium G200 16Mb (bios 2.3), Quantum Fireball EL 10.2Gb, Pioneer 10x DVD, Realtek 8029AS, Vibra16, Mitsubishi Diamond View 17"
                          WindowsME, AMD K6-2/450, GA-5aa (bios 1.3), 64Mb PC-100, Millenium G200 16Mb (bios 2.7) - (pd5.41), Quantum Fireball EL 10.2Gb, Pioneer 10x DVD, Realtek 8029AS, Vibra16, Mitsubishi Diamond View 17"

Comment

Oh yes, <u>uncheck DMA for a CD-ROM drive or CD-R(W) drive</u>, everyone ought to have this tatooed on their forehead so they don't forget!!!

I can't tell you how much my system performance improved by that simple action.

----------------------------
                            Holly

Comment

st - do you have the 8mb add-on to your g200?

I got one from someone for $10 and it did the 'scattered pixel' effect you mention.
                              I removed the add-on and all is well.

I noticed the add-on ram is 7ns and my g200 5ns. I really dont miss the extra 8mb, even at 1600*1280.

Another thing that produced the same effect but would send the whole screen haywire is overclocking the card. I avoid that, too.

------------------
                              k6-3 450 @500 - tyan 1590s bios 1.16b - maxtor diamondmax plus 13.6GB - 7200 rpm- g200 mill sgram w/8mb upgrade & bios 2.6-20 PD 5.41 (DISABLED) - AGP1x (NOT MY CHOICE) - 128MB 10ns sdram - sblive value 3.0 - 4 Boston Acoustics A40's - 3com 3c905b-tx - cable access - d-link PCI for the 3com CMX cable modem - win98SE ICS
                              dx7.0a - V3 steering wheel/pedals - MS sidewinder PRO

abit kt7-raid athlon 1ghz quantum 20.4gb - 7200 + wd 200bb - 7200 rpm UDMA100-
                              g400 max-
                              256MB pc133 sdram - sblive value 3.0 - 4 Boston Acoustics A40's - 3com 3c905b-tx - cable access - winME
                              dx7.?- V3 steering wheel/pedals - MS sidewinder PRO
                              Kensiko (Netpointe) scrolling mouse

Comment

Working...
                              X