Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Conspiracy theory - do all good parts go to OEM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conspiracy theory - do all good parts go to OEM?

Hi! I still can’t believe it. I’ve had more than a dozen G200 cards on my hands. I tried to overclock them all before I sold them. Not all of them made it to 95MHz (core) and few made it to 100. A month ago somebody asked me to sell his Millennium G200 SD, a card apparently ripped off a Compaq machine (s/n KAI86265). I know it’s from a Compaq because the sticker reads G2+/MILA/8D/CPQ and there’s another sticker on the RAM chips that reads … Compaq.

Now – I used MGATweak 1.20b to overclock this card. I did not use any memory optimizations, but the fact is that this amazing card can make it to 120/160 (yes, one hundred twenty with one hundred sixty) without any additional cooling. I’ve tested Incoming (because it is sensitive to fillrate and hence shows a substantial improvement – 45 to 64fps), 3DMark2000 (fillrate increases from 74 to 107MTx), Quake3 (minimal benefits), Unreal and NFS: High Stakes. It works flawlessly for hours and the improvements are clearly visible.

Oh! The card is made in China, and outfitted with 8ns memory (I’ve seen G200 cards with 7ns). As if this weren’t enough, it runs on an 83MHz bus (but just AGP 1x). Again, no additional cooling used. I use a medium-sized ATX case without any fans inside but also without the slot brackets at the back which means there’s still some good airflow. But maybe the decissive factor was the “Powered by Matrox” sticker…

HINT: Doesn’t Compaq also use G400 Max cards in their workstation systems?

PS: Haig, I’m selling this baby for $100, in case you want to put it up for display in a glass cage somewhere in the Matrox building.

PPS: kjliew, you're definitely going to get a postcard from me with the beauties of my country!
    Asus A7V, Duron 600@900, 192MB PC133@100, G200, Guillemot MUSE, etc.
Working...
X