Forcing AGP x1 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forcing AGP x1 ?

A few months ago I bought myself a G400 32MB Dualhead. I installed it in my k6-2 450 with an epox mb with via chipset. Using the 5.30 drivers everything worked wonderful for a few weeks, then the 5.40 drivers was released. I installed them and at the same time I overclocked my G400 a little. Then I tried Unreal tournament that had allways worked perfectly before, but after a few seconds into the intro, the computer locket up. I tried again without overclocking, it locked up again. Every 3d-game I play hung within seconds, so I re-installed the 5.30 drivers again, and then UT worked again but none of the other games.
    Then I got some extra money and ordered myself an ABIT BP6 + 2 x Celeron 366, while I waited for the new stuff I tried the G400 at work on some crappy Chaintech mb with a celeron 400@500, that one locked up to on every 3d-game I tried. After reading some posts in this forum I tried forcing AGP x1... and it worked! Even with the 5.41 drivers.
    When I got my new mb and celerons I installed Windows 2000 and the 5.00 beta-drivers, launched UT... the computer locks up. So now my first question is: does anybody know how do I force AGP x1 on an ABIT BP6, on the Chaintech mb i could do this in some BIOS setting (disable AGP2x - true), the win9x registry hacks does not work, i've tried powerstrip, the computer locks up when i try to run pstrip /agp:1x.
    My second question is: What the hell is wrong with the G400 cards, i've never heard so many have so much problems with a gfx-card before, i'm thinking i maybe should buy myself a geforce or something that work.

Sorry for my bad english!

Theres nothing wrong with the g400 cards, I dont know how to force agp1x in win2000, but consider this: You are using a beta driver (they are almost bound to be unstable!) and w2000 was (as far as I know) never designed for running games, its a business os, meant to replace nt - dont blame matrox for something that isn't their fault! Personally I have never had a better board!!!!

Post your specs and maybe someone can help you, if you ask nicely that is
    System:
    Asus A7V rev. 1.01p bios 1011
    AMD Thunderbird 800
    SBLive retail with liveware 3.0
    Matrox g400 MAX pd 6.51
    LG Flatron 795FT 17" monitor
    IBM 13.5 GB 7200 hdd
    Pioneer 106-s dvdrom
    WinME
    directx 8.0a
    384mb pc133

Comment

"What the hell is wrong with the G400 cards, i've never heard so many have so much problems with a gfx-card before, i'm thinking i maybe should buy myself a geforce or something that work."

You should check the Windows 2000 videocard forums. Or the latest issue of PC Magazine. Or *anything* that covers gaming issues in Windows 2000. The only reason I can imagine that you haven't heard of serious problems with other videocards and W2K is that you just haven't looked.

You're not going to get a lot of support here with the line, "i'm thinking i maybe should buy myself a geforce or something that work." Matrox does not run this sight, and your beef is with them. Your threat to buy a GeForce only serves to aggravate people who have nothing to with your problem. It's flamebait, pure and simple.

If you really think a GeForce will solve your problems, please be our guest:
      http://www.nvidia.com

Paul
      paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Working...
      X