IRQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IRQ

When i got my g400 max it was originally assigned to irq 11 and everything worked fine. I flashed my mobo with a new bios and now it is on irq 5. Everything still runs the same so is there any need to try moving it to a higher irq, or should I just leave well enough alone?

If you're running one of the latest Phoenix BIOSes, it'll say Running Windows 9x where the x=5 or 8 (95 or 98). Set this setting to NO !!

Jorden.
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

after flashing my AbitBH6 to the latest bios my MAX moved to IRQ5 too, this moved my TNT on my other Bh6 mobo to IRQ 5 aswell...

using IRQ5 is no problem what soever with my MAX and my bh6 anyway...everything works just aswell as on IRQ10 or 11... and it's just as fast...

if it works for you at IRQ5, don't bother moving it...
      <font size=1>Primary System: ASUS P4B533-E, Intel Pentium4 1.6A GHz, 512MB Samsung PC2700, Leadtek GF4 Ti4200 64MB, SB Audigy, 2xSeagate Barracuda IV 80GB, Pioneer DVD 106S, NEC CD-R 40/10/40, InWin Q500 Case w/ Enermax 353W PSU, Windows XP Pro, Samsung SyncMaster 753DFX.

Secondary System: ECS K7S5A, Athlon XP 1600+, 256MB PC133, Asus GF2 GTS 32MB, Seagate Barracuda IV 20GB, Aopen HQ08 Case, Windows XP Pro.</font>

Comment

There is a good reason for putting the video card on a high IRQ, level vs edge triggering issues aside.

System priorities for IRQ lines are as follows:

If your video is on IRQ 5, then any activity from devices on IRQ's 9-15, 3 and 4 are handled before the video. This can result in a slower visual response to system events, any disk cache read/writes will be done before updating video, etc.

In the case of online gaming it can result in slower performance as the COM ports on 3 or 4 have priority before the video.

------------------
        Dean
        -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
        PDP-11, Dec-writer & ZD-11 Terminal Unit, RSTS-OS

[This message has been edited by Holerith (edited 03 February 2000).]
        PDP-11, Dec-writer & ZD-11 Terminal Unit, RSTS-OS

Comment

If it aint broke don't fix it!

That being said, the g400 likes its irq to be somewhat higher, preferably 11, but wait and see, if you have no problems, I think you should leave it alone.

(btw my g400 uses irq 11)
          System:
          Asus A7V rev. 1.01p bios 1011
          AMD Thunderbird 800
          SBLive retail with liveware 3.0
          Matrox g400 MAX pd 6.51
          LG Flatron 795FT 17" monitor
          IBM 13.5 GB 7200 hdd
          Pioneer 106-s dvdrom
          WinME
          directx 8.0a
          384mb pc133

Comment

Just in case you encounter problems, you can change your IRQ by changing the P'n'P options in your BIOS. don't know what bios you have on your mobo but you should find it under PCI settings or P'n'P settings. Chang "P'n'P OS Aware" option to No, and then manually assign IRQ 5 to ISA...

that should do it.

Hope i helped

Goc

Comment

Working...
            X