Warp Engine Explained

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warp Engine Explained

Although this may already have been discussed when I was up fixing Hubble in December, I am going to ask it anyway , for three reasons:
    <ul type="circle">[*]I'm curious</li>[*]I need posts to drop the mini from my murcer</li>[*]I like making html lists in Dreamweaver</li>[/list]

Question: What does the WARP engine consist of, and is there any clear indication of what it does?

I've read some posts here and the MatroX Files site where people have speculated about T&L and such.

I'm a little skeptical, however.

Any links and such would be appreciated.
    System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

Look here ...

[This message has been edited by Maggi (edited 02 February 2000).]
    Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
    Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
    4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
    2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
    OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
    4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
    Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
    Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
    LG BH10LS38
    LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

OK ! ...I think you alredy found what you need but..once again WARP does TRIANGLE setup calculations something like float point..in theory it could maybe calculate some T&L stuff ..but its never designed to do this & if, it would perform wery POOR so leave WARP to do what is designed to do & wait for a NEXT GEN. MATROX babe !

------------------
      PIII450@504(fsb@112),P2b,128mb,Matrox Mill-G400 32SH,Diamond MONSTER Sound II ,IntelliMouse Explorer (yahoooo! no fu..hm hm. ball any more ...)

PIII650@806(fsb@124),ASUS P3B-F,128mb,Matrox Mill-G400 32SH,SB.Live!vlue ,IntelliMouse Explorer

Comment

Borg:

Darn! I thought maybe you intercepted some top secret Starfleet transmissions on Warp Engine schematics...

Bill

(Actually, a few contemporary scientists have theorized it actually *is* possible for a faster-than-light drive to exist, completely conforming to all known laws of physics and Relativity, although we don't have the technology - yet - to build one.)
        People call me a computer god; I remind them that I am merely a minor deity...

Comment

The same as how it has been possible to "dematerialize" and "re-materialize" a bit of light from one place to another, making the basis for a tarsporter

Now they just gotta figure out the jump from photons to people and we are all set

Isnt it just cool how there's so many neat things nobody can figure out?
          A computer is like sex. Your never 100% sure what your doing but when all goes well, it feels REAL good.

Comment

'fraid the search didn't provide anything useful. Just "warp sets up triangles, or something..."

I'll take that as an I don't know.

If any software fellers read this, and know what sort of commands the drivers are sending into hyperspace, maybe they can comment.

And no Joel, I don't hate AMD!
            System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

Comment

Like when I was outside Area51 and kept hearing (and feeling, through ground vibrations and/or air disturbances)these really fast 'planes', but never saw them?

Mark F

------------------
              OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a CD

Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
              --------------------------------------------------
              OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
              and burped out a movie

Comment

I did a quick search matrox's web site, and nothing is to be found concerning warp.

It's not a big thing, it's just a techno-need-to-know kinda thing.

Comment

you ALL will be ASSIMILATED..

------------------
                  PIII450@504(fsb@112),P2b,128mb,Matrox Mill-G400 32SH,Diamond MONSTER Sound II ,IntelliMouse Explorer (yahoooo! no fu..hm hm. ball any more ...)

PIII650@806(fsb@124),ASUS P3B-F,128mb,Matrox Mill-G400 32SH,SB.Live!vlue ,IntelliMouse Explorer

Comment

hey !..moreau !...dont bother you self with WARP or T&L...just enjoy your G400..T&L will newer work on our lovely G400.. we have BUMPS , DUALHED & other nice features..BEST IMAGE QUALITY & wery good performance in D3D & partialy in OGL ..I realy like this card its the BEST , & the NEXT GEN.MATROX chip will be the BEST..once its OUT..

do you knowe that Gforce doesnt have ALL T&L functions HARDWARE accelerated..ha ! only the NEXT-GEN. Nvidia & MATROX chips will have ALL T&L functions in HARDWARE & with DX8..so till then ENJOY !

------------------

Comment

#1 - TRANSPORTER Technology is real. The first teleportation of an electron is to happen sometime this year. I don't remember all the specifications, but it works through the use of some wierd superstring/quantum particles that are somehow identical and usually at the same place at the same time. They are planning on splitting these two pieces and sending one of them to the remote destination and then releasing the alternate piece, which should then snap to the remote location. (Sounds like end of the world stuff to me - splitting subatomic particles and then letting them recombine without controls - isn't that like a sub-atomic bomb - heh-heh a "quantum-torpedo")

WARP - Warp fields in star trek were actually subspace (read alternate n-dimension related) bubbles or shells were created. This allowed relativistic flight within one bubble, while the next bubble went relativistic within the next bubble, etc... By not actually exceeding the speed of light at any one point, it somehow exceeded relativistic limits by going around them. Maximum WARP speed in the star-trek realm was warp 10 (infinite speed). Transwarp just used a different set of n-dimension settings....

_ Way too much time on my hands...

Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
                      - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
                      - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
                      - 6.1 Digital Audio
                      - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
                      - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
                      - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
                      - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
                      - LS120 IDE Floppy
                      - Zip 100 IDE
                      - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
                      - NEC FE950
                      - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

http://www.matrox.com/mga/dev_relati...atrox_g400.htm

go way down there at Chip Specifications,
                        but sadly it's password protected.

Comment

Guyver - I don't think that's healthy. Someone call the medic immediately!!!
                          "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
                          --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

Actually, the teleportation thing is very cool. It works on the principle of entanglement. You can have two particles, which can be ANY distance apart (and I do mean ANY distance), and they will react exactly the same to outside stimuli. If you excite one, the other gets excited, even if it's a million light-years away!

Now this happens all the time naturally, but on such a small scale (one photon at a time, etc.) that it hardly matters. BUT, recently (about 6 months ago) some physics types were able to ARTIFICIALLY ENTANGLE two distinct particles! Then they moved them to opposite ends of the room and performed some tests...

Wow, holy crazy stuff, eh? This just goes to prove what I've been saying in the soap box - that physicists don't know diddly about the way the universe is REALLY put together.

Now, on to the topic at hand... the WARP engine could, in theory, be reprogrammed to do T&L. The problems with this are twofold:

1. It wouldn't be very efficient. Think along the lines of using an old-style calculator to perform gaussian approximations... just not a pretty sight.

2. It would take WARP registers away from triangle setup. This would of course make the card go SLOWER, which would be entirely contrary to the whole point of the exercise.

- Gurm

------------------
                            Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
                            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                            If only life were as easy as you
                            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                            If only life were as easy as you
                            I would still get screwed

Comment

Yep. My neighbor just spent 7 months researching entangled photons in Los Alamos. The stuff that he was allowed to tell us was so cool, I can barely imagine the rest.
                              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                              X