DualHead mode performance issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DualHead mode performance issues

An interesting question... If enabled in "hardware", the second head steals both memory and bandwidth from the first head, but would you notice, especially if it was disabled in "software"?

If you're not using it and are concerned, perhaps it is better to turn it off altogether...

I was just about to post the same exact question and I saw this one, I was wondering if I leave my dualhead on while playing games if I am losing some performance, i'm pretty sure I am so i've turned it off, it's just a hassle to reboot everytime you want to use dualhead that I end up not turning it on.

------------------
    Asus P2b(1010),P3 500,256 mb pc133,Matrox G400 DH,Asus 50x,Iomega zip,Mitsumi CDR,Ibm 10 gb hd,Sb Live,Win 98

Asus P2b(1011),P3 500,256 mb pc133,Matrox G400 DH,Asus 50x,Iomega zip,Mitsumi CDR,Ibm 20 gb hd,Promise ultra 66 controller,Sb Live,Win 2000 pro

Comment

From someone who was anal enough to try it out:

Having dualhead enabled, WITH windows spanning across both desktops takes about 4 FPS off yer frame rate in Q3 at 800x600 (in other words, nothing to worry about). Dualhead on, with secondary display NOT having desktop on it, you lose the same 4 FPS.

Of course, I have to mention this is running my gaming Q3 setup, that involves 800x600, 32bit color, 32bit tectures, No weapon display, no gibs, low polygon detail, simpleitems, no sky, texture quality set at the middle of the slider, and vertex lighting (only for tourneys though).

This setup usually has me hovering at 90fps, all the way down to 70 with some action going on. If I enable Lightmap to make it pretty, as well as high detail polygons, frame rates drop like a stone to mid 40's. Still nice, but not lanparty tourny

Anyway, I personally just leave Dualhead on at all times, as the performance hit is so minimal as to be ignored. Only place ya take a hit is Flight Sim 2000, when you open multiple views on the secondary monitor. OUCH, talk about slowdown.
      A computer is like sex. Your never 100% sure what your doing but when all goes well, it feels REAL good.

Comment

DualHead mode performance issues

I have just bought a G400 DualHead and I intentd to use the second monitor. I wont however be using the monitor ALL the time. What perfomance issues (if any) am I creating by leaving the Matrox drivers in DualHead mode? Does this alter when the Win9x second monitor is disabled even though the card is in dual mode?

Any help would be great...
        James

Comment

Working...
        X