Plaid screen of death!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plaid screen of death!

I have had intermittent problems with this plaid screen of death. does anyone know what is causing it?

System: celery 366@550 2.1V
    millenium g400max
    abit bx6 r2
    64mb PC100 ram
    windose 98SE / 2000 pro
    pioneer dvd-113
    monster mx300
    monster 3d2
    cardinal v90 56k modem
    logitech usb mouse
    various other knick knacks

I used to get this problem in windose 98se, it would occur when I use any dvd player, but only intermittently. I found that reinstalling my sound card drivers after installing powerdesk would solve this problem. But I still got the blue screen of death sometimes.

So I tried windose 2000 pro, now the plaid screen of death comes up intermittently again, sometimes when I access my cd-rom, sometimes when I am doing nothing.!? This only happens if I install powerdesk, if I use the microsoft vga drivers it will run stable for as long as it wants.

I have made sure:
    AGP=2/3
    agp card seated properly.
    own irq for agp
    agp set to 1x
    no pci card next to agp slot
    power supply is adequate

I'm starting to believe powerdesk doesn't like abit boards

I've seen this happen on an ASUS P2B-F, and the only solution for it was prayer. However, ASUS K7Ms have reportedly had this problem and some chaps reported that forcing AGP2X fixes it. So you might want to give that a try mate.

Comment

You may want to try using the Aureal reference drivers for your Monster Sound MX300. Diamond has a big pile of *&%$ for their driver support, but I don't want to go off on my soap box about that.

I can personally confirm the Athlon/Asus K7M/G400 plaid death fix by forcing agp2x. However, this plaid death only occured on cold bootups of w98, and never during a session.

Have you tried underclocking your cpu back to its original spec of 366MHz? That is always the first thing to try when you get strange stuff happening while you are overclocking.

Comment

I get it too. Happens about once or twice every couple of weeks. Usually it will happen on a series of reboots too. I'm not sure what causes this, but it seems to happen only within the first couple of minutes of starting the computer.

I'm on a PIII@560, Soyo SY6BA+, SB Live Value, Win98SE.

xippo

Comment

Ok, I reformatted now with win98se only
          running PD 5.50 beta. I boot up into agp 2x nicely now, and have not yet installed the mx300 drivers. So far so good. I'll keep you guys posted on the progress, thanks for the help.

Note: I used to force agp 1x to avoid lockups and crashes, interesting how forcing agp 2x may be a solution for plaid death. Any comments?

Comment

Working...
          X