Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is G400 DVD hard or soft?

OK,

I thought that it was software, judging from this: http://www.matrox.com/mga/products/m...0/features.htm
    Notice under DVDMax where it says (paraphrasing) 'our hardware does some stuff so that it is like hardware'.
    But read this: http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardwar...e_g400/2.shtml
    Just above the bumpmapped picture, sharky claims Hardware.

Anyone care to shed some light?

Mind you, I don't care that it is soft, since most posts here say the output is top quality, and as long as you aren't running a P75 like my brother, it won't matter. !)

Thanks...
    System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

It's mostly software, but a few things (like scaling I think) are handled in hardware...so Matrox calls it "partial hardware" decoding...
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

It's hard on the outside, soft in the middle, melts in your mouth, not in your hand.

No, the G400 doesn't have what anybody would call real DVD decoding on board. It does have nice DVD features like DVD max though if you have dual head, and it is generally a faster 2D card so that helps.

Hmm, I know (well, read) that T&L would be too slow for the WARP engine but I wonder if it could be wired to partially decode DVD?
      (I'll put that on the list of things not to wait for, just after hell freezing over.)

Comment

Moreau:

Of all of the currently available cards, the G400 is second in DVD output only to the ATI cards. The ATI Rage PRO is the equal of the G400 in this arena (if not being slightly better) and the Rage128 is substantially better, since it does Inverse Discrete Cosine Transforms (IDCT).

Himself:

In answer to your wondering... I recall that people said that the WARP engine wasn't particularly good at floating point operations. With the exception of the upscaling, MUCH of DVD decoding is floating point (see IDCT above, heh). However you COULD probably use it to interpolate frames... but... that would hardly gain you any speed, since it is such a small part of the DVD decoding process.

- Gurm

------------------
        Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
        X