strange errors with G400 and celeron366@550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strange errors with G400 and celeron366@550

I have a celeron 366@550 (2,1) with a G400 16MB and Win98. The processor go ok in games and benchmarks for hours too, but someways in win and games but only during access to hd o cd-rom the system give a system error. At the beginning i thought it was for the overclocking (but the bus is standard: 100MHz) but the strange is that during games and benchmark never lock up (with cpu test i obtain 6/6, rock solid). I noticed this problem after i install Q3A and driver 5.30 because with 5.41 turbo gl don't work. My mobo is ASUS P2B-F. Please help me.
    By

Have you tried increasing your CPU voltage. I had similar problems with my PII 300 (SL2YK) @ 450 until I lifted the voltage from 2.0 - 2.2. Every prob went away although I can't use the 5.30 drivers without Blue Screen Of Death at the start of every D3D App.

Mellow

Comment

Hmm.. voltage might be one thing.. but.. I think its more.

It is probably an IRQ or DMA conflict. Thats the only thing it really could be if the comp crashed when you access the CDROM drive.

Goto system properties then right click on my computer and look at all the IRQ's and make sure that the G400 is by itself or sharing with PCI Steering. If it is sharing with anything other than PCI steering that is your problem.

Might also be your mobo. See if there are any drivers out for that and make sure you have the latest BIOS update for it. My system ran much better after I upped the BIOS.

Also.. whats the BIOS on your G400? make sure it is 1.8-2.2..

Abit BX6 Rev.1
      Celeron 366A PPGA @ 566, 2.1v
      192 meg RAM, CAS2
      13.0 gig Maxtor 4320 HD
      6.0 gig Maxtor (in removeable drive bay)
      HP8110i 4x2x24
      Pioneer DVD-104
      SB Live! 1024
      USB ZIP 100
      G400 32MB DH 5ns RAM at 187/211
      Two KDS 17" Trinitron monitors
      YAMAHA HTR-5140 Reciever

Comment

Make sure you have your motherboard jumpered properly for 100mhz FSB. There should be an AGP divider jumper, it should be set to 2/3. Your motherboard, I believe, autodetects the default FSB speed of your processor, then automatically sets the AGP divider accordingly, but there should be some jumpers there to override that setting, which, as I said should be set to 2:3.

Rags

Comment

The AGPFS jumper is at the front of the motherboard, just to the right of the IDE connectors. As far as I know, there are two settings, 2:3 and 1:1, and it should have shipped with 2:3 as the default. Pins 1 and 2 should be jumpered for the 2:3 ratio. Check your manual, just in case Asus changed the specs.

There are no voltage tweaks on this board, so, unless you can make this adjustment with a slocket, it's not an option.

Paul
          paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Thanks at all! Uhmmm. I think it's not a problem of voltage and of cpu in generally. I played yesterday with Rally Championship in two players mode (and this game is hard for all the system, expecially for the hd access), with Rollcage in two player mode and Q3A multiplayer, totally for about 3 hours and all seem perfect. I think now that the problem are the 5.30 drivers which i installed to playing Q3A, infact the system errors started there. Anybody have the same problem? If the problem is the cpu, why during hard sessions of games and benchmarks all is ok, and cpu stability test give me 6/6 (that is stable like a rock)? Thanks again!
            Daniele

Comment

I tend to agree with CrazyBee, if the problem occurs when accessing the CDROM. If you have DMA enabled, try turning it off on the CDROM and see if it makes a difference. I've seen it cause problems in others' systems.
              To check whether it is on, go into Device Manger and check the properties for your CDROM. The "Settings" tab has a checkbox for DMA. Turn it off (if it isn't already) and try it.

James
              Games Box
              --------------
              Windows 2000Pro, ASUS A7Pro, Duron 750@950, 192MB Micron PC133, OEM Radeon DDR, 15gb Quantum Fireball+ LM, Fujitsu 5.25gb, Pioneer 32x slot load CDROM, SB Live! Value, LinkSys LNE100, Altec Lansing ACS45.2, Samsung Syncmaster 955DF, Sycom 300va UPS

Video Box
              ------
              Windows 2000Pro, PIII700 on ASUS CUBX, 256mb Micron PC133, Vanilla G400/32 (PD5.14), Hauppage WinTV-DBX, LinkSys LNE100, 8.4gb Maxtor HD, 40gb 7200 Western Digital, Diamond Fireport 40 SCSI, Pioneer 32x SCSI Slot load CDROM, Pioneer 10x Slot load DVD, Yamaha 4416s burner, MX300, Panasonic Panasync S70

Feline Tech Support
              -------------
              Jinx the Grey Thundercat, Mischa (Shilsner?)(still MIA)

...currently working on the world's first C64 based parallel computing project

Comment

Try disable DMA for the CDROM, some cdrom doesn't like dma on.

Comment

Working...
                X