Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

G400 MAX, Locking up and corruption, is it seated properly????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 MAX, Locking up and corruption, is it seated properly????

Hey ive seen this prob before and now i wish i had looked.. ive searvhed through the forum and looked. but the threads ive found have been IRQ , things or exVoodoo people with old drivers...

I have a fresh install of Win98 SE
    And when i play Unreal Tournament..
    the only game ive run so far......
    It plays for so long then hangs on errors...
    if not sometimes on the intro.

I have a PIII 450 256mg
    ABIT Be6
    MAX in AGP
    PCI 1 Blank
    PCI 2 SBLIVE
    PCI 3 RRG
    IRQ (shared with Highpoint UDMA 66)
    PCI 4 Blank
    PCI 5 SCSI Card
    PCI 4+5 share same IRQ

IN bios the AGP card has an IRQ assigned and PCI 2-SBLIVE is forced to IRQ 5
    PCI 3 = Highpoint UDMA 66 and RRG are IRQ 9(RRG needs no IRQ by itself as far as i know)
    PCI 4+5 are set to IRQ 10

so my system looks like this
    00 System Timer
    01 Standard keyboad thing
    02 Programme Interupt Controller
    03 Com 2
    04 Com 1
    05 SB Live
    05 IRQ Holder
    06 Standard Floppy
    07 Printer Port (LPT1)
    08 System CMOS/RT clock
    09 Advansys PCI SCSI Host Apadter
    09 Intel 82371AB thingy
    09 IRQ Holder
    10 Highpoint Tech UDMA 66
    10 Highpoint Tech UDMA 66
    10 IRQ Holder
    11 Matrox Millenium G400 MAX
    11 IRQ Holder
    12 PS/2 Compatible
    13 Numeric Data Processor
    14 Intel 82371AB thingy
    14 Primary IDE controller
    15 Intel thingy again
    15 Secondary IDE Controller

IDE 1 Master 2xDVD Drive
    IDE 2 N/A
    (following are HIGHPOINT UDMA 66)
    IDE 3 MASTER- MAXTOR UDMA 66 20 gig
    IDE 4 MASTER- IBM UDMA 33 16 gig
    SLAVE- BIGFOOT UDMA 33 12 GIG

and thats it... again it seems fine in 2d im writing this after all...
    but games seem decidedly dodgy.. they either lock up or just dump me back in windows..
    all my video shadowing and cacheing is off and my AGP is set to 256 but ive tried it at 128mg as well...

the only thing i can think is that its not seated properly.. i remember something about ABIT boards and G400's..... could that be it
    and what do i do about it.......
    Windows XP Pro + SP1 - Pentium 4 3.1gig - 1024mg DDR 333 2 cas - Thermaltake Xaser Case - Parhelia 128 - 3x Phillips TFT Monitors - Audigy 2 Platinum - 6.1 surround speakers - RTx100 - 5 HD 7200rpm (420gig) - Pioneer A03 - Partridge in a pear tree

ohhh and ive tried running in only AGPx1

but on the bright side.. My MAX is AGPx4 and RRG playback is Purty :O)
    Windows XP Pro + SP1 - Pentium 4 3.1gig - 1024mg DDR 333 2 cas - Thermaltake Xaser Case - Parhelia 128 - 3x Phillips TFT Monitors - Audigy 2 Platinum - 6.1 surround speakers - RTx100 - 5 HD 7200rpm (420gig) - Pioneer A03 - Partridge in a pear tree

Comment

Yes, there have been several reports of some Abit/case/G400 issues where the G400 is not quite seated properly. IMHO, that was a design flaw in the AGP slot definition, but we can't do anything about that now.

Try opening up your case, taking out your video card and reseating it.

This may sound odd, but try opening up your case and lay it down on its side such the motherboard is parallel with the desk. The PCI and AGP cards nearly suffocate in their own heat in tower style cases.

Comment

And SounBlaster Emulation is sharing with IRQ 7 (the printeR)

ThanKs, ill try that.
        i just found a reference to this in the news... But that states a problem running in AGP x2 and windows lockups as well....
        i just get it when i play games...
        is the suspect still the seating thing???

Comment

Hey... I rejigged the cards so it goes
          RRG - PCI 1
          SBLIVE-PCI 2
          3 left blank- i think the UDMA 66 Highpoint thing likes it that way..

PCI 4 - SCSI card
          PCI 5 - Blank

Still no joy.
          However a friend was down and recconmended downloading and running Reg clean from microsoft.com

I ran it and then UT couldnt find a certain file... so i reinstalled it.. and ran it.. and had problems again ....
          So i Started it in safe mode... and it was fine.. I tried again.. and it was fine.. in hardware for about an hour.. the speed and fluidity is amazing.. even the intro peice was smooth.. anyhow it crashed out eventually about an hour after having it on..

then when i tried it again it was back to either starting then crashing, starting and the audio goes funny.. just repeating its self. or not starting at all... SO far a good rule of thumb is that if the intro peice is smooth and the audio is ok. Then all seems well

any idea on what to do now?

Comment

Working...
          X