G400, big probs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400, big probs

My G400 32MB, will not work. I have tried 5.2, 5.43, and 5.50 drivers.

It goes as so:
    I revert to Standard Video Adapter drivers, take out my old card. Install my G400. Install the drivers. Seems to work. Set it all up.

Then, restart, or maybe a few boots later - General Protection Error before Windows boots. Then on restart, it reverts to 640x480 16 mode.

Now, it restarts instead of the Protection Error.

I've tried unistalling and reinstalling drivers, but the same. Over and over again.

System:
    K6-2 333
    GA-5AX
    64MB PC100 RAM
    NEC Multisync 3V
    Win '98 SE

Please, can someone help me!

Now, the PC restarts

Your motherboard is based on the ALi chipset, so you might want to consider upgrading your AGP and Bus Mastering drivers. I'm not an ALi user, but I think you should do this *before* installing the Matrox drivers. (Also, Gigabyte states that you should remove your old AGP GART drivers before installing the new ones.)

Did you completely uninstall your old videocard's drivers before installing the Matrox drivers? This is always a good idea, and, while the Matrox uninstaller does a good job of removing old Matrox drivers, many driver uninstallers just remove the software from Display Properties. The actual drivers just sit in your Windows directories, causing all sorts of conflicts, and you have to remove them manually.

Uninstall your Matrox drivers and boot into VGA mode. You can do a search in Windows Explorer for your old videocard's drivers and delete them. (ATI drivers start with ATI. 3dfx drivers start with 3dfx. NVidia drivers start with "nv.") If you know how, and you're comfortable editing your registry, you might want to remove references your old videocard there as well.

Again, I'm not an ALi user. Maybe you should wait until someone with more experience with your chipset verifies that I have given you good advice.

http://www.giga-byte.com/gigabyte-web/swali.htm

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 27 January 2000).]

Comment

I'm with Paul, it sounds like the infamous "old driver" conflict problem, also, check your irq's assignment, if you have a card in the slot closest to the g400, try moving it over if you have a spare slot, good luck and let us know how it goes
      jim
      System 1:
      AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
      Epox 8K7A
      2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
      an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
      SBLIVE 5.1
      Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
      IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
      Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
      3Com Hardware Modem
      Teac 20/10/40 burner
      Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

The mobo is brand new. I installed the card afresh in Win 98 SE.

It seems to have sorted itself. But it's a bif 'ify. I'll try unistalling the drivers and updating the mobo.

Comment

I use a G400 with K6-2 350 EPoX VIA motherboard, no problems (anymore).

Go to http://www.viatech.com/drivers/index.htm
          and download the VIA 4-in-1 driver package + PCI Bridge pack.

Comment

Oh... You had ALi

Comment

I get a few exception errors when running OpenGL or DirectX Apps sometimes. It doens't seem to happy. What can I do.

Anyway, the General Protection error and stuff has ceased. No idea why.

Oh, and when overclokcing the card I get no performance increase at all. I've used Powerstrip and MGATweak. But I only introduce artefacts, rather than speed up performance.
              Have I got something configured wrong?

Comment

I was having this kind of problem before. Just kick out your computer. And all will be correct after. The G400 is a sado-mazo.

Comment

Ooo, I got identical scores in 800x600 and 640x480 in 3DMark 99 Max.

Huh?

Comment

Working...
                  X