Sidebanding - why disable it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sidebanding - why disable it?

I know what the sideband thing is ... just wondering why people are having trouble disabling it (well actually why they're doing this at all).

To get their FSB higher. With sidebanding disabled chances are better for overclocking the AGP bus, which is not the goal, but an unwanted side effect from upping the FSB on BX chipset based systems.
    P3@600 | Abit BH6 V1.01 NV | 256MB PC133 | G400MAX (EU,AGP2X) | Quantum Atlas 10K | Hitachi CDR-8330 | Diamond FirePort 40 | 3c905B-TX | TB Montego A3D(1) | IntelliMouse Explorer | Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 17 | Win2K/NT4

Comment

Of course what these Speed Freeks don't realise is that to get those RAW CPU scores they are sacrificing quite a bit of their video performance. How sad.

- Gurm

------------------
      Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      I would still get screwed

Comment

I have never yet seen any benchmarks that prove 2X AGP is faster than 1X AGP...

------------------
        Celeron 300A@464 2.0V, 128meg generic PC-100 RAM (running at CAS2) Abit BH6, G400 16meg DH@150/200, Western Digital Expert 18gig, Ricoh mp7040A(morphed to mp7060A) Pioneer 6X DVD slot load, Motorola Cable Modem w/DEC ethernet card, Soundblaster Live Value Ver. 2, Viewsonic GT 775

Celeron 566@877 1.8V, 256meg generic PC-100 RAM (running at CAS2) Abit BH6, G400 16meg DH@150/200, Western Digital Expert 18gig, Ricoh mp7040A(morphed to mp7060A) Pioneer 6X DVD slot load, Motorola Cable Modem w/DEC ethernet card, Soundblaster Live Value Ver. 2, Viewsonic GT 775

Comment

Thanx for the replies. So if I understand you all correctly its for overclocking reasons. Hence I will not even contemplate it any longer (yes I'm an anti-overclock person but that's just me)

Comment

Actually,

Disabling side banding or dropping to AGP 1X in benchmarks have shown little to no dropping of preformance.

Were as overclocking your computer 50-100mhz provides a huge boost.

Lets just say us speed freaks got the grounds covered

Comment

*sigh*

Disabling side banding effectively disables all AGP transfers. Run the huge memory tests with sidebanding on and off, and see the difference.

- Gurm

------------------
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

I do remember reading an article posted on tweak3d.net's site

in which they tested sidebanding on and off, and benchmarked each

in most situations, turning it off lost 1fps

Theory is just that, theory...

I trust real world benchmarks

Comment

What articles was that? Must have missed that one... I would think this would be the case in say, Q2, but not memory hogs like Q3 and UT... That doesnt make much sense, ohh well.

------------------
                  PIII 450 @ 504
                  generic BX motherboard
                  G400 MAX : )
                  Maxtor 13 gig UDMA 33
                  Maxtor 13 gig UDMA 66
                  Creative 36x CD-ROM
                  HP 2x2x6x CD-RW
                  64 megs PC100 RAM
                  128 megs PC133 ECC RAM
                  NetGear 10/100
                  Soundblaster 32 AWE
                  Diamond SupraExpress 56k
                  Logitech Wireless Desktop (best $50 ive ever spent)
                  1 92mm Sunon Fan
                  4 80mm Sunon Fan's

Comment

Generically speaking, why overclock anything? Especially a graphics card? Ihonestly see no point especially if its going to damange your hardware.

Comment

To use Maggi's words, to get the best bang for the buck (he should know living close to the reeperbahn (ask Maggi)). And there is really not much chance of damaging anything.
                      You should see the difference between my default clocked "stutter" G200 and overclocked "smooth" G200. With my G400 however I can see not much difference, since it runs smooth at default clockspeed.

Comment

at default speed of P-3 500, my computer is fast enough for almost any programs, but, o/c it to 620 with a fsb of 124 and it boots to desktop before I push the power button all the ways BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
                        jim

------------------
                        PIII-500mhz @ 620 ! with an Abit BE6 mobo
                        128mb pc-100
                        Mill G400 (YAHOO!!!) 32mb @ 167/208 with MGATweak-417mhz, (2.5, 2, 2.5), PD 5.41 & bios 1.5-22
                        Maxtor 14.3 gb Uata66 hdd
                        SB Live!
                        Winblows 98se & DX7
                        32 lbs. of fans, heatsinks and aluminum ductwork
                        3DMark Result 5954.69 3DMarks
                        Synthetic CPU 3D Speed 9325.69 CPU 3DMarks
                        Rasterizer Score 2791.72 3DRasterMarks
                        Game 1 - Race 65.07 FPS
                        Game 2 - First Person 54.89 FPS
                        Fill Rate 268.79 MTexels/s

System 1:
                        AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
                        Epox 8K7A
                        2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
                        an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
                        SBLIVE 5.1
                        Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
                        IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
                        Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
                        3Com Hardware Modem
                        Teac 20/10/40 burner
                        Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

Once again I still don't understand your overclocking madness. Overclocking a chip (on anything like the CPU or the graphics card or what have you) damanges it. Why do you think that you need to pump up the cooling if you overclock? That excess heat is damaging to your chips.

I have extra cooling in my machine just to protect the components as they are. This will extend my machine's life and keep it playing happy ... its constantly between 25 deg and 27 deg (celsius).

Comment

Laristan, it's a disease. A fun one, but a disease nonetheless. Much like drinking to excess. Hehe.

That said, I think I'll go have another... um... nightcap.

- Gurm

------------------

Comment

Oh I understand fully that its a disease I'm an electrical engineer by degree and so I know how voltages and frequencies can affect microchips. To be honest, I've read many reviews and information on the web about cooling your machine and most people are way off the mark on that as well.

But I won't go into that here since this is a Matrox forum. Just suffice to say that not many people understand air-flow and thermodynamics that well if they're cooling their cases the way I've seen.

Comment

Working...
                              X