Bus mastering causing major instablity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bus mastering causing major instablity

When I have bus mastering enabled on my G400 my system becomes crazy unstable. This is shown through explorer crashing, games locking etc.
    With bus mastering turned off, everything seems to work fine...The trouble is, I think that the bus mastering should work ( ie. I don't think i should should have to sacrifice the performance for the stability, It should be stable already). I'm running an Athlon 500 on an Asus K7M motherboard. Any suggestions would be appreciated (bios settings etc.)

Post some IRQ's and other system info. Does it only freeze when playing games and using 3d apps? Are your bios settings correct? All video shadowing off, stuff like that? I have the same problem but I can't seem to fix mine. What Pdesk are you using? What's your G400 bios version? A lot of questions...
    "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
    --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

Isn't there an AGP patch for that MB?
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I have an Athlon 500@500, Asus K7M motherboard, G400, 2 ethernet cards. I've seen all sorts of problems. I get the plaid screen of death, I get lockups when playing any machine intensive game (Quake 3, Midtown Madness), I get abnormal program termination in the middle of games ( after a few minutes of playing, the game stops and I'm back in windows) also seen somtimes in Windows (Explorer or IExplorer crashes), I get a black screen w/ white horizontal and vertical lines and various other bits of instability.
        I've installed windows 98 and 98se many time.
        Currently I'm running 98 , with the updated Asus and G400 bios.
        I've run memtest on my memory (it passed).
        I've tried changing the VIO from 3.4 to 3.31 ( where it is now), and I've switched from 3 VSB to 3 Volts, I've also tried the force 2X AGP reg file (which didn't work) as well as force 1X AGP (which didn't work either)
        And lastly, I bought a new AMD recommended Antec 300W power supply.
        The only thing that offers me a hint os stability is disabiling the matrox bus mastering

My System is

Athlon 500
        Asus K7M bios rev 1.07
        Matrox powerdesk 5.5
        Quantum Fireball 10.2
        Samsung ??? 3.2
        I'm using the onboard audio.

My IRQ's are as follows
        0 System timer
        1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
        2 Programmable interrupt controller
        3 Communications Port (COM2)
        4 Communications Port (COM1)
        5 (free)
        6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
        7 ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
        8 System CMOS/real time clock
        9 Realtek RTL8029(AS) PCI Ethernet NIC
        9 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
        10 Realtek RTL8029(AS) PCI Ethernet NIC
        10 VIA PCI Audio controller (WDM)
        10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
        11 Matrox Millennium G400 DualHead - English
        11 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
        12 VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
        12 VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
        12 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
        13 Numeric data processor
        14 Primary Bus Master IDE controller (dual fifo)
        14 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller (Ultra DMA)
        15 Secondary Bus Master IDE controller (dual fifo)
        15 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller (Ultra DMA)

Comment

Hmmm, you might want to try to reseat your card, make sure it's in there real good. Try pushing it in and then don't screw it in and see if that helps. If so, just bend the bracket. That has fixed a lot of problems for many people. Also, you might want to try taking your sound card out (actually, all your cards out) just to see if you can run the G400 + mobo without any problems. Try that if possible and hopefully that will fix the problem....

BTW, what is this VIO thing you changed. I'd like to try it to see if it helps me.
          "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
          --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

I've tried reseating the card a number of times, no luck. I will try running a bare system tomorrow.
            The VIO Jumper determines the Voltage I/O setting. It allows you to select the voltage supplied to the DRAM, AGP, PCI. Someone recommended that I lower it to 3.31 Volts ( The default is 3.4.

Comment

Is that Samsung ??? and older hard drive? My Samsung VG34323A 4.3 gig HD causes total Windows death when I turn on DMA in device manger or try to load the VIA busmaster drivers. Not just a blue screen, but I lose win.com and have to reload Windows. If you have DMA enabled on the Samsung, disable it and turn the G400 busmastering back on. If you have an older CD-ROM drive, you might try turning its DMA off as well.

RAB
              AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

hi,

i've read that ASUS K7M need a high quality power supply, where the other (MSI, gigabite, ...) need only a good power supply.

Try this way. Find K7M users that have no stability troubles and ask them what power supply they're using.

Comment

I'm hoping its not (still) the power suplpy, I just shelled out 80$ for an AMD recomended one.
                  I just tried the barebones system ( with just the G400). With bus mastering enabled, Its still unstable.
                  I also tried disabling UDMA on the samsung, but again with bus mastering on... I get all sorts of wierd stuff

Comment

Yeah, I have the same problem. No matter what I have in the system, it don't work right. I don't have any ideas else that might help. Maybe Haig would know? As we have two vary different systems, I'm thinking maybe it isn't a defective card and we're just missing something very simple that some people just don't have to do? Kii, can you change the title to include a question for Haig so he will know to drop on by? Thanks.
                    --- Albert Einstein

Comment

You setup is vary similar to mine. I had these problems and was ready to throw the card through the window until I found a post that suggested loading the latest drivers for my PCI sound card that uses bus mastering (diamond mx300). After loading the latest reference drivers from aureal everything works fantastic with 100 fps in quake 2 on a athlon 500, K7M at 108mhz x 5. I think the drivers were version 2040 date 21/9/99. Try this and tell me how you go.

Comment

For me, that's of no help because I don't have anything in my system except for a NIC and my G400 MAX. I think Kii took everything out too, right? Once again, I'm out of ideas.
                        --- Albert Einstein

Comment

Kii,
                          As Wombat said, try the AGP mini port driver from AMD. Get it here: http://www.amd.com/support/software.html

RAB

Sorry Dimitri, this won't help your motherboard.
                          AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

Tried the miniport driver.. no luck.
                            Now i disabled the onboard Audio... which so far looks promising.

Comment

Stand corrected... just messed up.

Comment

Working...
                              X