My Bios Settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Bios Settings

Heres My Bios Settings for my Advance 5/133 Motherboard...should I change anything???

BIOS FEATURES SETUP
    Video BIOS Shadow: Enabled
    C8000-CBFFF Shadow: Disabled
    (and all the other #####-##### shadow are also disabled)

CHIPSET FEATURES
    Read around write: Disabled
    Concurrent PCI/Host: Disabled
    System Bios Cacheable: Disabled
    Video RAM Cacheable: Disabled
    AGP Aperture Size: 16M
    AGP-2X Mode: Enabled

PNP/PCI CONFIGURATION SETUP
    CPU to PCI Write Buffer: Enable
    PCI Dynamic Bursting: Enable
    PCI Master 0 WS Write: Enable
    PCI Delay Transaction: Enable
    PCI#2 Access #1 Retry: Disabled
    AGP Master 1 WS Write: Enabled
    AGP Master 1 WS Read: Disabled
    PCI IRQ activated by: Level
    Assign IRQ For VGA: Enabled

When I set the AGP Aperture size to more than 16M...my system crashed when I restart or sometimes when booting up.

PIII 500
    Advance 5/133 Motherboard
    128M Ram
    G400max Dualhead

[This message has been edited by Solo22 (edited 23 January 2000).]
    PIII-500, 128M RAMpc-100, ADVANCE 5/133 Motherboard, QuantumKA 18.2gig, QuantumST 6.4gig, Creative DVD-Rom 5x, Pioneer CD-Rom 12x, G400Max Dualhead, SB Live, Winmodem 33.6, NEC MultiSync E900+ 19" Monitor, Windows SE

try disabling cpu to pci write buffer.

Rags

Comment

If it was my system, I would try to set:

CHIPSET FEATURES
      Read around write: Enabled
      System Bios Cacheable: Enabled
      Video RAM Cacheable: Enabled
      AGP Aperture Size: = RAM size

Comment

Video BIOS Shadow: Disabled
        Jordâ„¢

Comment

He he he!
          Jorden:
          Maybe you know what is the REAL meaning of this option. If it could disable video BIOS shadowing, no contemporary graphics card would even be able to initialize. So while some strange people say it should be disabled, I keep asking and yelling: This doesn't disable vBIOS shadowing, so WHAT IT REALLY DOES?

Comment

It usually is caching the video ROM in what available RAM you have on your system. Relocating the ROM to RAM might enhance system performance as information access is faster from RAM than from ROM, but with a highspeed card as the G400, would we know the difference??

At least my system runs more stable when I disable this setting. I don't know. If one doesn't try, one doesn't know

Jord.
            Jordâ„¢

Comment

Don't modern vid bioses run themselves in ram whether the bios is set to shadow or not?
              Maybe this option tell the mb bios to do it or not, but not whether vid bios can do it its self.

gbm, why cache vid ram? would'nt that saturate your cache?

chuck

Chuck
              秋音的爸爸

Comment

What these options mean...

Video BIOS Shadow:

This is one of those ubiquitous settings. It used to have meaning, when a video card needed DOS BIOS space. Nowadays, for Windows it doesn't matter at all. You should disable all shadowing nowadays, otherwise you will just use up RAM and maybe cause problems.

System BIOS Cache:

Always good to have on. If you can't cache your system BIOS, there is something very wrong. This basically caches all the annoying slow mobo BIOS calls in RAM where they can execute much faster. That way you don't have to look up a value twice, etc. etc.

Video BIOS Cache:

Not many mobos have this now, it is however a 50/50 proposition. Some cards perform well with this option turned on. Some have refresh problems, etc. etc. because the cache doesn't update fast enough, or the card changes values in its own BIOS without informing the cache. You will gain a very minor speed increase, often not worth the compatibility decrease.

Video RAM Cache:

ALWAYS OFF. Should always be off nowadays, only causes problems with modern video boards. Many mobos (ASUS, for example) don't even offer an "on" option. Instead they offer "uncacheable" and "USWC" (uncacheable, speculative write combining). USWC will speed up video RAM accesses by spooling/queueing up multiple reads/writes. If your mobo DOES let you cache the VRAM, you should disable this option, as it will only cause problems.

VGA Palette Snoop:

Turn this off unless you have a video add-on board (through VESA feature connector) that causes funky rainbow effects. Then you MIGHT have to enable this option, which allows any device on the PCI bus to see the VGA's palette. Of course, this should only work in 256 color mode, so why it's even available anymore is beyond me...

- Gurm

P.S. Hope that helped!

------------------
                Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                If only life were as easy as you
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                If only life were as easy as you
                I would still get screwed

Comment

Im Getting Blue Pixels in my DVD playback...could anything in my bios be causing this???

I really would like to find solution to my DVD problem.

HELP!!!
                  PIII-500, 128M RAMpc-100, ADVANCE 5/133 Motherboard, QuantumKA 18.2gig, QuantumST 6.4gig, Creative DVD-Rom 5x, Pioneer CD-Rom 12x, G400Max Dualhead, SB Live, Winmodem 33.6, NEC MultiSync E900+ 19" Monitor, Windows SE

Comment

Check that your AGP divider is set to produce 66mz.
                    This will be given by your front side bus setting- ie 100 or 133 etc
                    times your AGP ratio- ie 1/1, 2/3, 1/2 etc.
                    They don't have the manual online yet, so I could not look to tell you how.
                    Does QDI (Legend) use a soft hardware setup on this board?
                    chuck
                    Chuck
                    秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
                    X