Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Goddamn, does anybody know NTSC standards???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goddamn, does anybody know NTSC standards???

Hi Folks

Im into buying a new tv-set. One with multistandard for use with the G400 so that I FINALLY can view region1 DVD's without jitter.

I have noticed that the tv's sold here in Sweden have different NTSC standards?!?!?

Example of brand JVC 29"
    NTSC 3,58/4,43

Ok, that one seems to be able to do 2 different NTSC's thats ok, but other tv's most often have just one of the two. A retailer told me that its only one of those who are compatible of the output of 60 Hz that NTSC seems to be (correct me if im wrong). He didn't know wich though...

So what should I look for, I don't want to buy the wrong one now.

Regards

Kristian

------------------
    - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Striving for perfection
    - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Striving for perfection

I didn't know that NTSC had different standards. Here is my two cents of what I do know.

NTSC is an interlaced picture running at something like 59.96 Hz. They made it just off 60 Hz so that we don't hear a 60 Hz drone from the AC electricity.

It is a 4:3 aspect ratio with there being a square number of pixels, but the aspect ratio of each pixel is 4:3.

The color was kinda kludged on, and there is a poorly defined separation between the luminance and chrominance.

I think that there are some "widescreen" TVs as well. They've been around for several years, and they cost mega big bucks. I don't know what kind of a NTSC mutation they are.

Comment

3.58/4.43 refers to chrominance subcarrier. NTSC 4.43 is a strange creature designed to allow for VCR NTSC playback on PAL TV sets.

The NTSC picture consists of 480 visible lines (525 lines incl. blanking and return). In digital apps, like computer output, each line contains 640 visible pixels, so the pixels ARE SQUARE. Composite video signal consists of base luminance signal and phase coded chrominance signals modulated on 3.58 MHz subcarrier. The NTSC decoder is very similar (but not identical) to PAL decoder, so it's very easy to design two-system color decoder. Then the chrominance subcarrier becomes the main problem, since in PAL it is 4.43 MHz. Since in VCRs chrominance is recorded in some other way (I'm not too good when it comes to VCRs), it is relatively easy to build PAL/NTSC VCR that outputs the NTSC-coded chroma signal on 4.43 PAL subcarrier. So we have PAL-mainly VCRs and TVs designed to deal with NTSC stuff, that support nonexistent in broadcasting "NTSC 4.43". Another similar stuff is "PAL 60Hz" - PAL encoded chroma signal at NTSC timing and resolution.

Comment

Thanks for the , erhm, technical explanation there GBM. I think I got it. I did some <BLINK>Power Research</BLINK> of my own and got an answer from Matrox UK. stating that the output of the G400 follows market standards and that there should be no trouble buying an NTSC capable tv no matter what versions it claims to run.
        So Ill guess that ill pick up one when the paycheck lands and if it DOESN'T work, you will hear me all the way to friggin Kansas !!

Conclusion: If you buy a NTSC capavle TV the jitter will go away.

Regards

Kristian

------------------
        - - - - - - - - - - - -
        Striving for perfection
        - - - - - - - - - - - -
        Striving for perfection

Comment

I always thought NTSC stood for Never Twice the Same Color.
          Greebe's juiced up Athlon @750 on an MSI Irongate Based M/B Marvel G200 TV with HW/DVD Daughtercard,
          CDBurner, Creative DVD, two big WD Hdds, Outboard 56K modem
          Parallel Port Scanner, Creative S/B AWE 64 (ISA), and a new Logitech WebCam (My first USB device)

Comment

*LOL*

------------------
            - - - - - - - - - - - -
            Striving for perfection
            - - - - - - - - - - - -
            Striving for perfection

Comment

It's also referred to as:
              Nice Technology, Super Color...

AlgoRhythm

Comment