Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 + RR-G == big headache

Here's the whole story...

I purchased a single RR-G offa the Matrox web site, except the order failed to go through 4-5 times because of some sort
    of java script error. I ended up calling the store and ordering it over the phone (kinda defeats the purpose of having a web store,
    eh?). Anyway, a few days later (3 to be exact), the shipment arrived. 2 Rainbow runner G's! They had screwed up and sent me two. Luckily, I was only charged for one. Honest guy i am, I called them and told 'em that they screwed up.

Anyway, now the install process. First one I put in, doesn't work. The G400 says i've connected a "digital flat screen out". Note now that my Dualhead (built-in) feature was gone. I had followed the procedures for the install exactly - removed my previous drivers, installed the older
    5.30 version (not the 5.41, the latest. Why? I guess their support went DOWN with each update after 5.30). Anyway, I tried the other RR-G that they had shipped. This one was detected properly, but only picked
    up one channel, and it labeled the channel incorrectly. After 5 or so hours
    trying to figure this out and many hours wasted with their tech support
    people (who had me lugging my computer around the house, trying different
    cables even though the cable I had worked fine on a TV and another TV
    card that I had previously installed), we got nowhere. The Matrox tech guy
    said that it was either my cable (hah), or my G400. Well, luckily (?) I had
    recommend Matrox G400 cards to many of my friends and was able to find another G400 DH 32mb card. Lo and behold, I put it in and tried the second RR-G. Again, it said "digital flat pannel display" in the
    information, and again, it didn't work. I tried the first RR-G. This time, it detected
    the RR-G and the hardware MJEPG incoder/decoder, but NOT the TV-Tuner.
    It did the same thing -- only picking up one channel, and labelling it
    incorrectly.

Well, I formatted. I reinstall win98. I shutdown my system, I tried
    different PCI slots just for the heck of it. I should also say that on bootup, it took
    about 10-11 seconds before anything appeared on the screen (bios ver, mem test,
    etc). This delay occured with both of the RR-G's and both G400 cards.

Alas, it worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got all the channels!!!!!!!!! I was elated.
    So I tried to record stuff. Sometimes it would work, sometimes it would go into black
    and white mode, sometimes it would just record garbage. I tried different screen modes
    and all that stuff. I then rebooted my system, just to see if it would still
    work after rebooting, shutting down and whatnot. Alas, it didn't. It started doing the same thing all over again, picking up only one channel, etc etc etc.

I called Matrox, and they are sending a Fedex guy to pick up the cards. As
    soon as they receive the cards, I will be getting a full refund (at least that's
    what Joan at customer support said).

So, if you are thinking about upgrading your G400 w/ a Rainbow Runner G...
    think again. I used to be a great supporter of all things Matrox, but this
    experience has really soured me to them.

If anyone knows what might have been going on, and how I might have been
    able to fix all this, lemme know. Because their tech people had no idea, and I'm
    all out too. Either way, I'm going ATI. Anyone know if the ATI TV Wonder is
    compatible with the G400? (ATI's web page says that they aren't done testing it yet..)

Jan

p.s. my system- BP6 (of COURSE I was doing this in win98 seeing how the NT/2000 support isn't there yet), dual celery 366, SB Live, couple of 17 gig harddrives (both fast enough), etc etc.

UPDATE: I somehow managed to get it to work. I formatted my harddrive, installed win98. I also put the RR-G as far away from the G400 as possible (hoping to reduce interference from the mainboard). Out of nowhere, the thing started to work. Now if I can just get it to record TV properly....

--
    jan@porkchop.org

[This message has been edited by coolfish (edited 30 December 1999).]

What you have is the same combo as I have. I to cannot get the RR-G to work with the g400DH. I too am having a non exsitent flat-panel out detected. No tv tuner detected yadiyadiyada

Consensus is this is somewhat power supply related. Your power supply must have at least 0.5 amps at -5V and -12V. I fyou have acces to one, I would try this as a first step. At least two other murcers with BP6 have tried this with success.

Comment

power supply? hrm... at -5V I have 0.3 amps, and at -12V I have 0.8 amps. The Tech support people at Matrox didn't mention anything about this. Aside from getting a new power supply (which I hesitate to do if it turns out not to help that much) what could I do?

Comment

well, i don't know WHY or HOW i did it. But I got the bastard to work. Only one of the two rainbow runner g's I got was able to pick up stations.

Damn though, these things get HOT as heck!!!! Also, the capturing isn't all that great -- any hints and tips available on which codecs and which compression to use to get the best capture?

Comment

I have a G400-Max and the RR-G, and I've not run into any problems with it. Of course, it does get real warm, and Ulead wasn't stable when I had the SB-Live in my machine, but I've been real happy. I have a nice InWin case with a 350watt PS.

Comment

Working...
          X