Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux and Matrox g400

hmm...
    Now I have the package in the root of the linux system, but I don't know what I shold do. I can open the package, but I don't know what those executable programs should do,,,
    because they do nothing. I still can't get higher resolutions or higher amount of colors. I am using RedHat linux 6.0 and Matrox G400 32mb MAX.
    I am a newbie in linux, so could you send accurate orders or pieces of advice, please.

--
    Ville Elomaa
    visit My homepages
    My computer:
    • matrox g400 MAX
    • pII 350
    • 128mb ram @ 100mhz
    • Panasonic pPanaSync s50

true lamers don't just write lame text, they are usingLAMERIZER

go and fetch your very own lamerizer from EXEC

Welcome to Linux. I can't give you any answers. What do the readme's say. If there like normal Linux support docs they're either very technical or not very technical and miss bits out.
    Linux has still a long way to go before the average Joe can use the system. Anyway posting this will push it further up the list.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I'm trying to do the same thing, only with RH 6.1. My friend the Linux guru says to run a program called XConfigurator. This should allow you to properly set up your XConfig file and allow you to change resolutions. In case you don't know, you change resolutions by hitting ctrl+alt and + or -. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try this tonight.

Paul
      Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Comment

I think toaster whats the specific drivers loading. Isn't there another forum for other operating systems. Yep! Alternative life styles. You may find your answer there.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

If you're trying to use the G400 with RH6.0, you need to make a minor upgrade. RH6.0 ships with XFree 3.3.3.1, and you need a newer version for the G400 to be correctly supported. You can follow the links from http://www.xfree.org/
          After everything is updated, run Xconfigurator again.

If there are any more problems, please post in Alternative Lifestyles, and the right people will see it sooner.

Good luck,
          Wombat

------------------
          K6-2/350@400, 503+ rev 1.2a, 128MB PC100 RAM, Millenium G200, RH6.1 w/ 2.2.12-20, Win98, and too many classes

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

You may want to go to www.linuxmandrake.com and give the 7.0 version a try. It is based on Redhat, plus it has built in support for the G400, as well as the SB Live. Not only that, but my MS Intellimouse Explorer plugged into the USB port also worked early on in the install. It also lets you resize a Windows partition without damaging the data. I resized my C: drive from an 8.4 Windows partition down to about a 6 Gig, then told Mandrake Linux to auto configure itself for the remaining 2 Gigs at the end of my C: drive. It installed without a hitch, and Lilo allowed me to dual boot into Windows or Linux.
            You can grab the 641 Meg ISO file, and burn it onto a CD. I did this, then changed my BH6 BIOS to boot into the CDRom. This started the installation process, and when it was finished, and wanted to reboot the computer, I went back into the BIOS and changed the boot sequence back to the A, C, SCSI default so it would boot into the freshly installed Linux on my hard drive.
            I have heard of some people having problems with Mandrake 7, but it worked fine for me. Try it at your own risk please I am just putting in a word for the first Linux Distro I tried that allowed me to install Linux hassle free, on a Windows partition with built in support for most of my hardware. I was out of luck for my 882C HP USB printer though. If you are going to give it a try, make sure to have a current backup of your Windows system first. Those without a way to make a complete system backup of their Windows installation are advised to stay away from this venture. Hope this helps.

Comment

Toaster: Get the RPM's... They are easier.

Find out which ones are already on your system:

rpm -qa | grep XFree

And get the new version of each of those packages.

Comment

I think that I'd download that RH 7.0 if I had an ADSL or cable modem,,, but I don't
                I just have an ISDN and heavy bills on using the Inet...about 1 dollar per hour ... and
                with ISDN it would took about 10 hours to download that package.

Where I can find those Xfree86 RPMs? I can't find them on the www.xfree.org

--
                Ville Elomaa
                visit My homepages
                My computer:
                • matrox g400 MAX
                • pII 350
                • 128mb ram @ 100mhz

Comment

I know what you mean Toaster. I used to access the Internet with a 28.8 modem for about 2 years. Because cable modems are now so plentiful where I live, I sometimes forget that most people aren't hooked up yet. Even with cable, it took me close to 13 hours to DL the Mandrake 7 ISO, as the servers were bogged, and I was only getting about 13-15 KPS. If you know someone nearby with a fast connection, and a burner, maybe you could get them to snag it for you. But, I imagine that the other Linux distros shouldn't take long to get up to date with the latest kernel, etc, that Mandrake has. I was amazed to find Mandrake ahead of Redhat this time, especially since Mandrake is based on Redhat.

Comment

If you can't download the ISO, then you could go to someplace like http://www.cheapbytes.com/ They sell CD's for next-to-nothing. They're just there to distribute free software on CD's, and maybe make a little profit.
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Which of those million and one tgz files should I download ?
                      --
                      Ville Elomaa
                      visit My homepages
                      My computer:
                      • matrox g400 MAX
                      • pII 350
                      • 128mb ram @ 100mhz

Comment

I downloaded those tgz files for linux-ix86-glib21, but I cant unpack them.
                        I try:
                        tar -xvf [archive].tar
                        , but I just get something like
                        operation not permitted in all those files in the package. I've logged in as "root", but I cant still make the work

------------------
                        --
                        Ville Elomaa
                        visit My homepages
                        My computer:
                        • matrox g400 MAX
                        • pII 350
                        • 128mb ram @ 100mhz

--
                        Ville Elomaa
                        visit My homepages
                        My computer:
                        • matrox g400 MAX
                        • pII 350
                        • 128mb ram @ 100mhz

Comment

A filename that ends in .tar.gz or .tgz refers to a bunch of files first tar'red and then gzip'ped. Correct procedure for decompressing:

tar xvzf [filename]

Good luck!

Rahul

------------------
                          Abit BP6, Dual Celeron 366@550, G400 32MB DualHead, 128MB RAM, WD26500 6.4GB, SBLive! Value.
                          Running Mandrake 6.1 and Windows 2000.

[This message has been edited by kewlcat (edited 23 January 2000).]
                          Porsche: MSI K7N2-L, Athlon XP 2100+, G400 32MB DualHead, 1G RAM, 2xMaxtor 20 GB, Gentoo Linux
                          Quicksilver: HP Omnibook 500, PIII 700 MHz, 512MB RAM, 30GB, RedHat Linux 9.

Comment

Working...
                          X