Multiple Monitors in 2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple Monitors in 2000

I recall reading an earlier post in that multiple monitors would not be feasible using the dual outputs with the G400 cards in Windows 2000. The post went on to say that Matrox would be unable to enable different settings for each monitor via driver fixes and that the problem would need to be addressed by Microsoft themselves.

What I don't understand is that when I use two different video cards (G400 and Fire GL 1000 Pro in this case) that I am able to set different resolutions and refresh rates for each monitor. If Windows 2000 allows this for two different video cards, why is it not possible for Matrox to develop drivers to enable users to use just the Dual Head feature to customize each monitor?

I hope I am not asking these questions in mere brainless ignorance and hope somebody can clarify for me.

Sincerely,
    Nikki

This is not the whole story, but I suppose it is mainly because the 2 "heads" on a G400 share the same frame buffer. It is therefore left to the board manufacturer to implement multiple monitor support for this kind of architecture.

Comment

Well according to Matrox this is a Microsoft problem.

Comment

Oh. Well, it MUST be true then...

Comment

The thing that makes Win2K a problem is apparently to do with the G400 DH is one device -> one driver -> _two_ displays.

Win2K doesn't allow 1 driver to expose two displays. There are two solutions:

1. Make the 2 displays look like one display to Win2K. This is microsoft current hack.
          2. Write a second slave driver to control the 2nd HAL.

Matrox are resisting the 2nd approach as it would cause problems due to the order in which Win2K loads drivers: Basically Powerdesk would be forced to restart the system everytime you did something to the 2nd display.

Comment

Working...
          X