Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 + Abit BH6 rev1.0 users investigation

Hello!

I use the Abit BH6 rev1.0 motherboard (not the 1.1!) and the G400. This combination seems to be a bit instable; hang-ups, pixel-lines, strange mouse-pointers, no Open GL etc.
    The only thing that makes my system work properly is the AGPx1 reg-hack. I've tried all the other variants without success.
    What about you? What made your G400 work with the BH6rev1.0? What's your g400 s/n? Have you tested your card with another motherboard without experiencing the problems?

Thankful for all info you can give me!

/Henrique

Well, I know of a bunch of people who have experienced similar problems. Mostly Abit users (including myself) but some Asus users as well.

Some found that reseating the card in the AGP slot fixed their problem, others (including me) solved it by swapping the G400 for another one (RMA). Most of the times forcing AGP1X was a workaround.
    P3@600 | Abit BH6 V1.01 NV | 256MB PC133 | G400MAX (EU,AGP2X) | Quantum Atlas 10K | Hitachi CDR-8330 | Diamond FirePort 40 | 3c905B-TX | TB Montego A3D(1) | IntelliMouse Explorer | Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 17 | Win2K/NT4

Comment

Mine has been working flawlessly at 2X AGP since day one. There have been reports of problems with SB Live cards. If you have one, make sure you get the latest drivers! Good luck!

btw - I still have no answer from Abit as to whether a P3-550E will work...

------------------
      Celeron 300A@464 2.0V, Abit BH6 G400 16meg DH@150/200, Western Digital Expert 18gig, Ricoh mp7040A, Pioneer 6X DVD slot load, Motorola Cable Modem w/DEC ethernet card, Soundblaster Live Value Ver. 2, Viewsonic GT 775

Celeron 566@877 1.8V, 256meg generic PC-100 RAM (running at CAS2) Abit BH6, G400 16meg DH@150/200, Western Digital Expert 18gig, Ricoh mp7040A(morphed to mp7060A) Pioneer 6X DVD slot load, Motorola Cable Modem w/DEC ethernet card, Soundblaster Live Value Ver. 2, Viewsonic GT 775

Comment

Hi Henrique, are you using any Norton Utilities or Anti-virus software???

Paul

[This message has been edited by ALBPM (edited 19 January 2000).]
        "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

I believe ABIT has officially said that the board will not support the coppermines. But then again, they did come out with a new BIOS that lists speeds of 650 and 700. In reality, I think they're saying that they don't recommend using the coppermines because of possible instability problems.

In the real world though, it looks like you can probably run coppermines without any problem. Check out this link where someone details their experience in getting a BH6 to work with a 500E: http://www.overclock.com/articles/bh6_133/bh6_133.html

[This message has been edited by JmsAndrsn (edited 19 January 2000).]

Comment

I've had this problem even at 1x with my system, all I have to do is compile my q3a map for about 5+ minutes, then run q3a and I get the vertical line crash.
            If I do a soft reboot after compiling I don't crash, and considering that my map takes up to 3 days to compile, it's not that much of a problem but still...

Comment

In reply to ALBPM: No I'm not using Norton. I used to run NU 4.0, but I recently did a complete reinstallation of my system (once again...) in my quest for the working Abit BH6rev1.0 + G400 config. I'm curious, why the question?

In reply to Rob M.: Have you tried to un-check the "Use Bus Mastering" option in the advanced display preferences? It kept me going in AGPx2 (but OpenGL didn't work anyway ). With the AGPx1 reg-hack my OpenGL porgrams runs OK, Bus Master and all...

Anyway, I'm beginning to think that my early buy of the G400 was a mistake. Do any of you with Abit/G400 troubles have a AGPx4 compliant card?

/Henrique

Comment

Didn't have a problem either.
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

The latest bios for the BX6-2:

Supports 40GB harddisks and above, However we aren't quite sure what the precise capacity is, since the current maximun harddisk on the market is 40GB.

Heh heh, at least they're honest!

------------------
                  Cheers,
                  Steve

"The chances of anything coming from Mars, are a million-to-one", he said.

Comment

I knew it!

------------------
                    Celeron 300A@464 2.0V, Abit BH6 G400 16meg DH@150/200, Western Digital Expert 18gig, Ricoh mp7040A, Pioneer 6X DVD slot load, Motorola Cable Modem w/DEC ethernet card, Soundblaster Live Value Ver. 2, Viewsonic GT 775

Celeron 566@877 1.8V, 256meg generic PC-100 RAM (running at CAS2) Abit BH6, G400 16meg DH@150/200, Western Digital Expert 18gig, Ricoh mp7040A(morphed to mp7060A) Pioneer 6X DVD slot load, Motorola Cable Modem w/DEC ethernet card, Soundblaster Live Value Ver. 2, Viewsonic GT 775

Comment

I asked because Norton Software such as their Anti-Virus software can cause conflicts and lockups.

Paul
                      "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

ALBPM: Any problem with McAfee Anti-virus?

Richard

Comment

I have an abit bh6 rev 1.0 board AND an OEM non-agp4x compliant G400 and I have NEVER had a problem. Bus mastering and AGP 2x have always worked fine including opengl. I have popped my g400 in and out several times and I have not had a problem. I have a very good case though (addtronics). what case do you have?

------------------
                          Abit BH6
                          Celeron 550
                          Matrox G400 32mb "MAX"
                          256MB PC100 RAM
                          IBM 10GB 7200rpm HDD
                          Creative Labs DVD 5x
                          Mitsumi 4x/2x/8x CD-RW
                          Monster Sound MX300
                          USR 56K Modem
                          Creative Labs DTT 2500
                          ADi 6P (19" Monitor)
                          Win98 SE

Abit BH6
                          Celeron 450
                          Matrox G400 32mb "MAX"
                          256MB PC100 RAM
                          IBM 10GB 7200rpm HDD
                          Creative Labs DVD 5x
                          Mitsumi 4x/2x/8x CD-RW
                          Monster Sound MX300
                          USR 56K Modem
                          ADi 6P (19" Monitor)
                          Windows ME

Comment

I'm using McAfee and haven't had any problems with it. I haven't seen any posts concerning problems with McAfee yet either.

Paul

Comment

No probs. AGP2x, o'clocked 20%. Tried re-inserting and not tighten it too much (see tips on Matrox site)?

BH6,C366@550,G400DH32,128Mb,3C905,AHA2904,DVD0303, SbLive!

Comment

Working...
                              X