Asus K7M, G400, and 5.5 beta drivers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus K7M, G400, and 5.5 beta drivers.

Did somebody try the beta 5.5 drivers on an ASUS K7M motherboard? Do they solve the cold boot lock-up problem observed with the 5.4 drivers?

------------------

- Temp
    - Temp

beta 5.5 works fine for me, but then I've never had any problems with prior driver revisions, so it's not really an answer to your question, is it?

Why would I send my pants to New Jersey?

Comment

Every drivers are working fine on my K7M and G400MAX.
      For your cold boot lockup, tell me if I am wrong but isn't it you start your computer, everything seems to start but nothing appears on the screen and win is not loading. It works when you reboot the computer?
      If it's what I've described, it's not your g400's fault, it's the bios that is flawed, update it with the latest.

Vlip

Comment

Vlip,

No, I do not suffer from the problem you describe (the systems POSTs fine), but from another problem, which has been reported several times on the BBS already (the system hangs during Win 98 boot up process after a cold boot showing the "plaid screen of death").

It was described in details in the following thread recently:
        http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum5/HTML/005990.html

but quite a few times before, too (a quick search for K7M will show most instances).

I tried updating my motherboard to the latest BIOS, both beta (1229) and non beta, without success.

I add that I do not have a G400 Max, like you, but a G400 16 MB, and that the K7M has onboard sound. Thanks for your help anyways.
        - Temp

Comment

I think their is something wrong with the G400 Matrox Card.
          I have also got a G400 Matrox card made in China.

My system is a MS-6167 Athlone MB. Pure AMD chipset.
          When I had a 500CPU installed all was ok.
          Now with a 650 CPU installed all hell is lose.

Running normal program under win98 none 3d stuff, all is ok.
          Go to 3d benchmarks an all hell breaks lose.
          On utility I was running it complaining about "Spread Spectrum" should be disabled.
          Don't know where is this to disable it.

Regards

Jochen

Comment

You should try to get a 300 Watt power supply in your computer. It seems that the Athlons + mobos quite like some power, especially when they are faster. I have heard from stores that 250 Watt is barely enough when combined with the Athlon 500 and the advanced cards a gamer uses. ;-)

Frank

Comment

Jochen, Man it ain't the card!
              I have the same MoBo (1.5bios), chip(mines@750) and G400MAX (made in Ireland, though) and can run
              anything so far (3D mark 2K, 3DMark 99, 3D screensavers, Q2, Q3A, NFSHS, Matrox demo to name a few)and I don't crash any, nada. When you upped your CPU from 500 to 650, you might have increased your current draw to a point where your PS can't keep up. I can't believe that the G400MAX just suddenly went south when you OC'd your CPU, I'll bet there's just not enough juice to go around.

I'm running the 5.50 beta drivers, and have not 1 bug to report, indeed my benchmarks have improved (3D Mark 2000 & Q3A fps) and we played Q3A (In TurboGL)online for about 7hrs Tuesday night and not 1 jitter much less crash!(THANKS to Kruzin and Fryespray for their advice on online setup for Q3A!!!)

I might add that I have a PC Power & Cooling Turbo Cool 425ATX PS. Don't have a clue as to Spread Spectrum.

Sorry TEMP, but I don't have the same MoBo.

Comment

I am also getting no problems with any drivers on this mobo...

Comment

Zwisch,

Thank you for reporting your experience. May I ask:

1) What OS you run (Is it Win 98)?
                  2) What BIOS revisions for the video board and the MB you use?
                  3) Does your K7M has enabled on-board sound?
                  - Temp

Comment

I had the problem with the lockup, until i downloaded the registry hack that forces AGPx2. After installing the hack, it works perfect with ALL the revisions of the driver!

The registry hack can be found somewhere on this site, under "something, something, PD5"

Hope this helps you!

Comment

My previous message was to Temp!

Jochen

Spread Spectrum Modulation can be disabled in the Bios under, mmmmmmmm..., advanced chipset features?, but enabling this doesn't give me any problems. I have a .25 Athlon 600@800, and I have no problems. Could be your PS as JWilliams suggests.

Comment

Jochen!

>On utility I was running it complaining >about "Spread Spectrum" should be >disabled.Don't know where is this to disable >it.

It is usually done with Bios settings. Check your mobos bios...

J.
                        -J-

Comment

Working...
                        X