Dual-head feature???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual-head feature???

Today, my boss has brought me a brand new G400 Dual-Head video card. He just wanted to avoid a purchase of very expansive large screen monitor, so he proposed me two use two smaller ones to build a single desctop by means of G400 dual-head video card. Although, he did not ever try this "feature" just heard some ads about this. However, when I tried it in the real life on my Windows 2000 system, I have found this feature very stupid and inconvenient especially when it is used to extend a desctop size. (I understand that it can be really useful to see DVD movie or special games). The inconvenience is that two screens are really acting as one desctop. If you maximize some window it will be expanded to occupy both screens, so you always have to manually resize windows to fit the only one screen. (Looking at the window occupying both screens may only cause hysterical laughter, because you always have a gap between monitors no metter how close they are, and it is really irritating to read the text breaking at the end of the one screen and continuing at the beggining of another)
    Other problem is that some dialog boxes and messages are always appear at the center of the desctop. You again have to move them to the left or two the right, the worst case may happen if the dialog box is not movebale, it is rare case though.

So, I beleave that Matrox engineers did not think enough when designing this dual-head feature. But probably this is an issue of the Windows itself rather than problem of the drivers. The proper solution would be to have two different desctops (one of them is active - all new windows appear there). Taskbar should belong to one of desctops. When you maximize a window it should occupy only one screen (where it is actually located in). Users should be able to move windows from one desctop to another.

Is there anybody who reading this message and used to use the dual-head feature to extend a desctop? Do you find it convenient? Do you know special tricks to avoid the problems I just described?

Thanks,

Yurgis

Two choices:
    1. Get used to it.

2. Use Windows98. Works as two independant displays there.

The issue is that Win2k has a problem with multiple outputs from a single card. NT is the same way...one stretched desktop.

If this can be resolved with drivers remains to be seen, since the problem is rooted in WindowsNT/2k. It may take a Win2k patch, as other "dualhead" cards are coming down the pipeline that will experience the same limitations...
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Under NT4, Appian's graphics adapters come with special software to allow maximizing to ONE monitor. We use their 4 head display cards at work, with two 18" LCDs per card. Without the sofware, maximizing sucks. With it, it works just like Win98.

I'd ass-u-me that Matrox would release such a modification of their software to allow the same behavior, once W2K goes RETAIL...

Just my $0.02
      The pessimist says: "The glass is half empty."
      The optimist says: "The glass is half full."
      The engineer says: "I put half of my water in a redundant glass."

Comment

Thanks, IceStorm, you are giving me a hope.
        If matrox is really going to release somthing like you described, that would be really nice, otherwise I don't need this dual-head shit.

Comment

Some things to your complaint:

1: This is a Windows 2k limitation inherited from NT. This is NOT a Matrox Issue. However if you bothered to read your powerdesk docs, you migth find out that you CAN make some of the behaviour chnage to get rid of the problems you seem to have.

2: Win2k is NOT RETAIL yet. Once it is in stores, I am sure Matrox will have some shiny new final version drivers. The ones out now are OPEN BETA. Read it, they dont garanty any kind of actuall behaviour

3: I would never give up my dualhead from one single card. I accept the problems as being windows limitations and read the docs, so I know how to make my dialogs apear in one monitor only, and how to maximize to one monitor or another.

------------------
          Asus P2B-F, P3-450~556, 512MB PC100 8ns SDRAM, G400MAX (yay!) at 160Mhz, Teac 58S CD-R, Toshiba SM-1002 DVD-ROM, Toshiba 40X SCSI CD-ROM, 8.4GB IDE primary drive, 9GB Micropolis Tomahawk UWSCSI, 9GB IBM U2WSCSI, 18GB U2WSCSI Cheetah, Diamond MX300, 3COM 10/100TX, 3COM Gaming Modem, Adaptec 2940U2W

And a partridge in a pear treeeeeeee.
          A computer is like sex. Your never 100% sure what your doing but when all goes well, it feels REAL good.

Comment

Working...
          X