Modifying a MAX for overclocking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modifying a MAX for overclocking

Hi everyone. I am going to epoxy some heatsinks onto the memory chips on my MAX to help it for overclocking. I am also considering additional cooling on the backside of the card where the core is, since the PCB gets pretty warm there. I know some people have done with, but I'd like some opinions on what you think and how well it works. I'm between just epoxying a small hetsink behind the core, or epoxying a low-profile heatsink+fan there. Is there any danger to covering those resisters and with the thermal epoxy for the additional backside sink? Also, for those who have replaced the default fansink on the front of the board, which ones are best to use? I don't want anything huge.. just one of the coolers that will fit on the cip and into the mount holes with some thermal paste. I'm between the tennmax and a couple others I've seen. I'd greatly appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

How much more do you want from your g400max?

Mine is fine at 173/216 (432pll, 2.5/2/2.5). The core locks solid at 180 though. The memory can easily handle 225, but with both the core and mem being tied to the same pll clock, its hard to push one over the other.

Comment

I have mine curerntly at 159/212. I know the memory is the current limiting factor since I get a few sparkles at 216, and the core starts getting slight corruption at 165, so I figured I could definately push it a little more with some additional cooling, since the memory is pretty warm and the back of the card is very warm.

I'm just a overclocking freak I guess

Comment

Ive got a tennmax cooler on mine, but im considering getting some heatsinks for the mem also. Im with you. Who cares if it doesnt perform much better! it looks cool! Muahhah AAAhahhA MAuahha!

------------------
        PIII 450 @ 464
        generic BX6 motherboard
        G400 MAX : )
        Maxtor 13 gig UDMA 33
        Maxtor 13 gig UDMA 66
        Creative 36x CD-ROM
        HP 2x2x6x CD-RW
        64 megs PC100 RAM
        Intel 10/100
        Soundblaster 32 AWE
        DiamondMAX 56k
        Logitech Wireless Desktop (best $50 ive ever spent)
        1 92mm Sunon Fan
        4 80mm Sunon Fan's

Comment

Working...
        X