First bad impression about Matrox!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First bad impression about Matrox!

This is my first bad impression about Matrox. I bought G400 MAX and just recieve my card on November, last year. Well the card worked prefectly, It was a cool card that I have ever have it. But the thing that I just found out that my G400 MAX cannot operate in AGP 4x mode as it should be, when I upgraded my system to i820 chipset ( just nearly a month ago ), which, as all of u know that it support AGP 4x mode, so I emailed Matrox's technical support. this is some details in the email
    "You are correct. You will not be able to get the board to operate
    at 4X. If you are not satisfied contact your vendor for your money
    back. If you purchased it from the on-line store contact them for your
    money back.

Sincerely John
    At 11:00 AM 1/7/00 -0500, you wrote:
    >So that means I will not be able to use my G400 MAX in 4x mode? so what can
    >I do or do you have any upgrades to my card?
    >----- Original Message -----
    >From: "JB (Matrox Technical Support)" <graph_ts@matrox.com>
    >To: <beebee@loxinfo.co.th>
    >Sent: Friday, January 07, 2000 9:09 PM
    >Subject: Re: Matrox Graphics Inc. On-line Technical Support Request Form
    >
    >
    > > Dear Sir,
    > >
    > > When we launched G400 in May 1999, 4x motherboards did not exist.
    > > Although our part was able to work in 4x transfer mode we felt that before
    > > the Camino chip set was launched, it would be unfair to our customers to
    > > guarantee 4x operation since there are many factors that influence
    > > operation speed that are out of our control. Matrox did however ensure 4x
    > > compatibility which means that all Matrox G400 graphics boards will work
    > > seamlessly in 2x or 4x systems.
    > >
    > > Since Camino has launched, we have been able to extensively test
    > > our boards with AGP 4x. We've identified the G400 boards that support AGP
    > > 4x transfer rates with an additional '4A' in the part number:
    >G4+MDH4A32GB/40.
    > >
    > > Sincerely John
    > >
    > >
    > > At 01:39 PM 1/4/00 -0500, you wrote:
    > > >Developer Relations registrations. The information was submitted by on
    > > >Tuesday, January 4, 2000 at 09:38:37
    > >
    > >---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > > >
    > > >name: Navapon
    > > >
    > > >lname: Wisitthanon
    > > >
    > > >email: beebee@loxinfo.co.th
    > > >
    > > >matrox_product: mill_g400_max
    > > >
    > > >memory: 32_mb
    > > >
    > > >serial_number: FAP26839
    > > >
    > > >product_model_number: G4+MMDHA32GR
    > > >
    > > >powerdesk_driver_used: 6.00.007
    > > >
    > > >mga_bios_revision: 1.5-22
    > > >
    > > >mother_board: i820
    > > >
    > > >bus_type: Bus Type
    > > >
    > > >speed: pII_agp
    > > >
    > > >speed: pII_agp
    > > >
    > > >bios: award
    > > >
    > > >operating_system: nt_5
    > > >
    > > >resolution: 1024_768
    > > >
    > > >color_depth: 32_bit
    > > >
    > > >other_peripherals: SBLIVE!
    > > >
    > > >brand_model_of_monitor: SONY 200ES
    > > >
    > > >version_number: Can't change my G400 MAX from AGP 2x to 4x
    > > >
    > > >detailed_explanation: How can I change mode AGP from 2x to 4x. Do I need
    > > >to update its BIOS in order to use this.
    > > >
    > > >notify: ON
    > > >
    > >
    > >---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > > >
    > >
    > >
    > > ----------
    > > John (J.B.)
    > > Matrox Graphics Technical Support Representative
    > >
    > > Phone : 514-685-0270
    > > Fax : 514-822-6363
    > >
    > > Please keep all transmissions on the same e-mail when you reply.
    > > Also visit our News and FAQ section at
    > > http://www.matrox.com/mga/tech_supp/home.htm
    > >
    > >
    >
    >

----------
    John (J.B.)
    Matrox Graphics Technical Support Representative

Phone : 514-685-0270
    Fax : 514-822-6363

Please keep all transmissions on the same e-mail when you reply."

Well, I can't return the card, coz the shop will not refund me ( this is writen on the bill that " No exchange or refound of goods sold" )
    Then I asked the shop agian that I could exchange the card with 4x mode enable, coz this was not my fault. The answer was that they could not do it coz they have no this kind of arrangement with Matrox. what should I do????
    It is my hard earn money. If u have any solution, u can drop me a email at beebee@loxinfo.co.th

**sigh**

The solution is to stop being influnced by marketing hype.
    4x is a buzzword, and means NOTHING to real world performance
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

To reiterate the solution provided by the boys at HardOCP:

let's all go out and get a blasted on Scotch and throw rocks at an Electronics Superstore all night
      I'm sure you'll feel better...
      Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

What I am going to tell u behind this story is that Matrox should not writen in the website that the card is AGP 2x/4x. they just make the consumes believed that the card is truely support that feature. Well, just asking yourself that will u buy goods that can't do what it should????? well, for me I don't think so. As u know Thailand had a economic downturn, and that money was my hard earning, so u see that make me feel like I am cheated ( maybe my expression is too strong, coz English is not my mother lang.).

Comment

Cool! Matrox will refund me my money for my 2x only Max since I'm not satisfied (I bought thru the online store), then I can just buy a new one (4A). LOL.

NOT.

By the time I personally get a motherboard that supports the 4x transfers, with the proper memory (133Mhz or RAMBUS), and the proper processor, the G400's will be history. It really isn't worth the time, beebee, as Kruzin so bluntly put it. The current effect of AGP2x over AGP1x is so small as to be unnoticeable, and the same most likely applies to AGP4x. Most of the slowdowns and performance loss is not due to the rate the data passes thru the AGP bus anyway.

------------------
          Ace
          "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
          Gainward Ti4600
          AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

Don't worry about it, you won't notice the difference between AGP2X and 4X. Not with one of today's cards.

[This message has been edited by Scytale (edited 12 January 2000).]
            P3@600 | Abit BH6 V1.01 NV | 256MB PC133 | G400MAX (EU,AGP2X) | Quantum Atlas 10K | Hitachi CDR-8330 | Diamond FirePort 40 | 3c905B-TX | TB Montego A3D(1) | IntelliMouse Explorer | Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 17 | Win2K/NT4

Comment

Just to alter Scytale's comment:

Don't worry about it, you won't notice the difference between AGP 1X, 2X and 4X. Not with one of today's cards.

------------------
              Cheers,
              Steve

"The chances of anything coming from Mars, are a million-to-one", he said.

Comment

Matrox should not writen in the website that the card is AGP 2x/4x"
                Why not? It is. It is a 2x card that WILL fit in a 4x slot.
                You are aware, aren't you, that 4x uses a different slot and voltage spec? Many cards won't even fit into a 4x slot. G400 will fit in either, and automatically adjust to the proper voltage. THAT makes it 4x "compatible" as advertised...
                Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Well not that I care either , but if you go to their site and look at the technical specifications concerning AGP there is a sentence in there that states "Full AGP 2x/4x device with multi-threaded bus mastering". From that , why would you think
                  that it's just compatible and not enabled ?
                  Rob_b

p.s. not planning on asking for a 4x enabled exchange, but if matrox offers, i'll take it
                  http://www.matrox.com/mga/press_room...f/chipspec.pdf
                  pentium III @550mhz
                  intel 440BX pci chipset
                  512mb memory, g400max,
                  cybervision C70 monitor
                  win2000 on maxtor 8.4 gb

Comment

I always thought 4X was a beer

So I suggest you keep your 2X card, go and buy some 4X beer and smile (or throw rocks at a electronic superstore if you feel inclined). In fact if you do decide to throw rocks then grab us all a G400Max while yer there.

Man with Penis in biscuit tin is F**kin crackers.
                    Warning: Sigs may seriously damage your health...

Comment

Well, thanks for all of your reply. I have talked to the shop they accepted my request and going to have a talk with Matrox when their boss is back from Taiwan. Coz not only me who have made this kind of complain to the shop.
                      Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                      X