VIA DRIVERS & TURBO MODE??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIA DRIVERS & TURBO MODE??

Hello, Hope this is the correct area to post this: I Installed the new Via 4 in 1 Drivers Last nite, and The Agp driver was installed in turbo mode. # 1, Exactly what the heck does Via consider < turbo > to be, # 2 My benchmarks have in fact risen a small amount, and my Memory Bandwidth is also up a breath.. But---- Upon Booting up into Windows, Instead of my Normal Desktop < snapping> onto the screen..I get a 2 to 3 second < black out >, and then my desktop appears, But in a much more < subtle > manner than I experienced before. I can see a visual speed improvement after the install, althought I do not understand the boot change. Any comments Overly welcome , Thanx

------------------
    Help me get this Boot outta my azz!!

I can't explain the blackout, other than some video driver taking longer to install.

"Turbo" is AGP 2x, while "Normal" is 1x. This might lead to the slight increase. However, others on this board have said that you should go to the Via site, and download the stand-alone AGP patch, v 3.59, and install that.

The blackout may also be AGP 2x failing, and the system might be reverting to 1x. The other improvements are then merely a better implementation of the patch (makes sense that an update would perform better).

You need to get PCILIST, or some other program, and see what it reports your AGP speed at, if you really want to know.

[This message has been edited by Wombat (edited 11 January 2000).]
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Thanx for the replys, 1 question tho.. The 3.59 driver only states win95/ I am runnin win98 first edition... should I try that anyhow? Thanx again.

------------------
      Help me get this Boot outta my azz!!

Comment

I believe the pause before going into the desktop is the powwerdesk doing the AGP test.
        I had force AGP x2 and according to Kruzin I'm by passing the AGP test doing by doing this. I no longer get the pause before going into the desktop.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
        X