Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major Win2k Driver Bug

HEY!

That would explain it.. i had the same reboots too.

Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4 has not been all that stable in my experience. Of course I do know some people who have it working flawlessly on their machines, but I have scrapped it and now use Nero Burning ROM and Goldenawk CDR.

EZCD 4 was causing lock-ups and system crashes on my home machine (in Win98 with a G400) and blue screens of death on several work machines (Dell's with an ATi card and Win NT 4). The other burner apps are much more robust than EZCD4, too. That and they allow you to 'backup' certain programs that EZCD4 won't.

www.goldenhawk.com
    www.ahead.de/en/Index2.htm

Jammrock

------------------
    PIII 450@504, 256 MB RAM, 35 GB total w/ WD Experts, Abit UDMA 66 controller, CL 6x DVD, PLEXTOR 8x4x32 ATAPI CD-RW (my newest toy), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, LinkSys Etherfast 10/100, DSI 56k modem, Addtronics 6896A Case w/ a crap load of fans and Dynmat noise dampening, MAG DX715T monitor.

Hi, my name is Jammrock. I'm a computer phreak and an EverCrack addict.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Hello,

i've got the same behaviour under W2K RC3, somebody tell me to modify the irq of my G400, i'll try to do that.

An other solution i read in the newsgroup is to use 16bits color and not the 32bits color, i'll try this too.

Comment

I've altso had this problem with instant reboots when using Adaptec Easy CD Creator. Got rid of it fast enough when I switched to NERO. End of problem.

A friend of mine actually killed win2k when enabling dualhead with the DVD-Max output. Don't have any specifics, but you might want to have a partition copy handy if you enable it

Fubar
        Fubar

Comment

Hi all!

As mentioned before in this forum, some days ago, the Matrox W2K BETA drivers (5.00) will bug the new Microsoft operating system severely. This is also the case with the RTM (Release To Manufacturing) build 2195 of Windows 2000. It's really a driver issue = a Matrox issue. Don't switch DVDMax on and don't use Easy CD Creator 4.0 (there is no way around the problems - to this date). Also, don't use Partition Magic 5.0 to convert your Windows 2000 partition from FAT16 to FAT32. It hurts too (the boot sector disappears). The latter doens't have anything to do with Matrox but I thought it was nice to mention, talking about W2K and all ;-)
          Matrox still has several weeks to finish a descent driver. And I certainly hope they can increase the performance of OpenGL in Windows 2000 (way bad compared to Windows 98 and TurboGL). Guess it's the NT-core that's in the way ;-)

February 17th is official launch date of Windows 2000. Let's hope the driver dudes fix things before then.

Mark

Comment

There IS a fix for this somewhere in the form of an EasyCD Creator patch. If I can find the link, I'll post it here. I don't know if it's official or a hacked fix though. Creator is the ONLY burning prog that has problems under Win2k. I used EasyCD Pro, CDRwin, and Nero with ZERO problems. I find Creator a terrible prog anyways. I'll try to find that link tomorrow: work calls.

The Rock
            Bart

Comment

TheRock:

If you could find that patch it would be most appreciated, although I've already updated the ASPI layer to the newest version, and patched EZ-CD to 4.01 or whatever, so those fixes are right out (in fact the ASPI layer was fine right off the bat with my full install of the original 4.0 CD!) but if there's something else, PLEASE let us know...

- Gurm

------------------
              Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              I would still get screwed

Comment

Major Win2k Driver Bug

This is NOT, repeat NOT some whiny little Win2k issue. I have discovered what I consider to be a major flaw in the Win2k drivers (although I am ALWAYS open to correction and/or suggestions):

Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4.0 causes spontaneous reboots when the Matrox G400 Win2k driver is enabled. When the machine is set to VGA, these spontaneous reboots do not occur. Odd, eh?

Just thought y'all would like to know, in case you can report it to the driver people or something.

- Gurm
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

(Gurm: wasn't it 'BONE-stick' ?)

re: Partition Magic and Win2000

Someone mentioned that using PMx to change a FAT16 Win2K partition would fubar the boot sector.

Well, it seems that a lot of PMx operations will do that.

I was using PM3 to hide and un-hide my Win98 partition (superstition, I guess) and to re-enable my Boot Manager (the readme.txt files on the Win2K CD said that one could re-enable their BM after installing Win2K) and it fubarred the boot sector.

I used the floppies (it reads solid from FOUR floppies before you can do this) to get into the Repair Console and did FIXBOOT, which didn't help. FIXMBR claimed it noticed that my boot sector was invalid or broken, but it warned me that it might toast my partition table if I went ahead with the fix.

Needless to say, I didn't take that risk and just re-installed. Nice thing was, I left Win98 partition visible, and Win2K nicely went ahead and installed a boot selector which lets me switch. Awww.

[moderator: this extended something off-topic, sorry]
                  - --- -- --- - - -- - ----- - ---
                  P3-600
                  128MB
                  G400-TV
                  (everything else is incidental)

Comment

As I stated in an earlier thread, I have Easy CD Creator 4.01 working perfectly well on Win2K build 2195 in dual monitor mode.

The trick is to run it at 16 bits !

ECDC4 bombs at 32 bit with the beta drivers.
                    The same thing happened in NT4 SP6 with Matrox drivers at 4.22 and lower - immediate bluescreen on opening ECDC4. Later Matrox NT drivers didn't do this. Leads me to believe this is a Matrox issue that may be resolved in the next driver release.

On a non-Matrox related note....I found a workaround to install Adaptec Direct CD on win2K. Can't do it from the Adaptec menu screen but you can by using the SETUP.EXE in disk one of DCD on the CD.

------------------
                    =========================
                    ABIT BP6, Dual Celeron 466's @525Mhz
                    single stick of Kingston ECC registered PC100 256MB RAM
                    Dual IBM C-71 17" monitors
                    Matrox G400Max
                    Seagate Cheetah 10k 9.1gb SCSI U2W drive
                    Adaptec 2940U2W SCSI Controller
                    Maxtor 20 GB 7.2k UDMA66 IDE drive
                    Plextor Ultraplex 40max SCSI CD player
                    Seagate Scorpion SCSI DAT drive
                    Creative SB AWE32 / LinkSys NIC / 300 watt power supply
                    12 fans (including three stacked Nidek Blowers) / assorted external SCSI stuff.........
                    Win2K Final Release/WinNT4 SP6/WIN98/DOS 6.22

<font size="1">ABIT VP6, Dual PIII 1.0Ghz's | 768 MB of Kingston RAM |
                    Dual IBM C-71 17" monitors | Matrox G400Max | Seagate Cheetah 10k 9.1gb SCSI U2W drive | Adaptec 2940U2W SCSI Controller | Maxtor 60 GB and 80GB 7.2k IDE drives | Plextor Ultraplex 40max SCSI CD player
                    and Plexwriter 24/10/40a writer | Seagate Scorpion SCSI DAT drive | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | LinkSys NIC | <a href="http://lianli.com/11302001jcL_pc_case/jclpccase/jclpccase/pc70.html">Lian Lee PC-70USB Aluminum Tower </a> with 430 watt power supply
                    | assorted external SCSI and USB stuff | WinXP Pro</font></font>

Comment

Jammrock, you are right about EZ CD 4 not allowing certain "backups." I have been through all the EZ CD Creator updates from it's inception, and unfortunately sold version 3.5 before discovering this. Plextor Manager 2000 is another update that won't do certain backups where Plextor Manager '96 version did.
                      MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
                      Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
                      512MB regular Crucial PC2100
                      Matrox P
                      X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
                      LianLiPC70

Comment

Thank you LuckyG!

My last reason to dual-boot to Win98 just went out the window!

- Gurm

P.S. Does DirectCD make Win2k as unstable as it makes Win9x?

------------------
                        Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.

Comment

well heres my chance to actually help someone here is the link you guys are dying for with the fix
                          http://webcheckup.adaptec.com/ecdc-win2k/

------------------
                          ***TRUST IN YOUR TECHNOLUST***
                          <A HREF="http://jediphoenix.iscool.net/
                          " TARGET=_blank>http://jediphoenix.iscool.net/
                          </A>

Comment

Thanks jedi,

I knew that it was a known ecdc problem, and I know it happened with other cards as well, so it wasn't just a problem with Matrox's drivers =D

Rags

Comment

Gurm:
                              re:"Does DirectCD make Win2k as unstable as it makes Win9x?"

I lived pretty much in WinNT4 prior to loading Win2K so didn't encounter any instabilities related to DCD. Haven't seen any in Win2K to date, either.
                              <font size="1">ABIT VP6, Dual PIII 1.0Ghz's | 768 MB of Kingston RAM |
                              Dual IBM C-71 17" monitors | Matrox G400Max | Seagate Cheetah 10k 9.1gb SCSI U2W drive | Adaptec 2940U2W SCSI Controller | Maxtor 60 GB and 80GB 7.2k IDE drives | Plextor Ultraplex 40max SCSI CD player
                              and Plexwriter 24/10/40a writer | Seagate Scorpion SCSI DAT drive | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | LinkSys NIC | <a href="http://lianli.com/11302001jcL_pc_case/jclpccase/jclpccase/pc70.html">Lian Lee PC-70USB Aluminum Tower </a> with 430 watt power supply
                              | assorted external SCSI and USB stuff | WinXP Pro</font></font>

Comment

Working...
                              X