video/sound card advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• video/sound card advice

Hello. I've read the minimum system requirements for the RR software, but it doesn't mention what sort of sound and video card I need.

I have an AMD K6-II 350MHz cpu, 64Mb RAM, and 13 Gb HDD (Quantum). I want to edit home video (analogue camera), add sound, and put it back on to PAL VHS tape with little loss of quality.

Can someone please tell me what video and sound cards I will need and how much I need to spend (including the software)? Thanks.

I recommend a good solid ISA audio card like the SB AWE-64. It may not have 48k audio capture/playback, but you'd have to be a dog or have perfect pitch to hear that difference anyhow. Besides that most people listen to videos on 4" paper cone speakers ;-)

It has all four required ports (line in, line out, spkr & mic) and is relatively chieap and stable. Just make sure you turn off the reverb, spatial and 3D features when doing video capture and editing. Those features are resource hogs on any card and can cause audio/video synch problems.

I recommend avoiding most PCI audio cards at this point because most are just not ready for prime-time as yet. Many will work on some systems but cause much pain on others. I have at least 6 of 'em on my shelf collecting dust because of this. In the end it's a crap shoot.

Also many PCI audio cards have problems with resource hogging. That plus the relatively poor busmastering of a Super7 system would only make that situation worse and should be avoided. Also the ISA emulation modes on many of them can cause contentions.

Particularly avoid: SBLive! (ewwww...), AudioPCI and Maestro-1/2.

Have seen work well: the higher end Turtle Beach cards.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by DrMordrid (edited 28 December 1999).]

Comment

Thanks Doc.

What about a video/video capture card? Any recommendations? Any idea of price?

Comment

Working...
      X