PD 5.41 driver oddities with G400Max

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PD 5.41 driver oddities with G400Max

Has anyone had the problem with their setups where Direct3D applications would not render textured polygons while non-textured polygons will render okay?

Made a bunch of changes, and I cannot figure out which one or ones caused me to have this problem (and then lose about 6 hours of life trying to fix it. I hate installing Win98. I esp. hate doing it twice back-to-back.).

The changes were (in approx. chronological order):
    - Play around with a really, really old copy of Ant's set of .REG files to try to force AGP2x on the board (I just wanted to see if I could do it. This did not work, btw.)
    - Install GX chipset update utility
    - Flash system board (Tyan Thunderbolt S1837UANG) to BIOS v2.00.00

After all this, I noticed that PCIList indicated AGP2x on my G400Max. Cool.

Then, when I started Unreal Tournament, the demo ran for 6 seconds normally. Then I had massive texture corruption. When I panicked and got UT to exit, the desktop was misbehaving, as if something had written random values to the G400's CRTC regs. I panicked hard and powered down hard. When I rebooted, things were okay until I tried to start UT, at which point I started having the problem as mentioned at the top of this message.

Then I noticed that Unreal Tournament would not display anything once started, as if the video card had bought it. Not cool.

The weird part is that, with the nVidia Principles of 3D tech-demo, I noticed that non-textured polygons (the "points" section, the "lines" section and the "flat-shading" and "gourad" sections of the demo) would draw just fine.

Resetting Unreal Tournament to use OGL got things working, although too slow for my taste...

(sigh) If I am lucky I have un-screwed this mess by reverting to PD 5.30... At least the Po3D tech-demo works normally again, so one can always hope... Such long thoughts for 3am in the morn' (smirk).

Is it possible to trash one's card such that everything works okay except the chip's rasterizer engine?

Apologies for the long rant.

Arrgh.. Solved my problem.

EMM386 sucks. VCPI servers suck harder.

Admins, feel free to destroy or close this whole thread

Comment

Working...
    X